Phantom 4 Vs Phantom Pro?

I would return and upgrade.
I have always dreamed of strapping a Sony RX100 on a drone.

The camera quality alone is worth it. Its true 4k @ 100mbs. Bigger sensor therefore less artefacts/noise and great for low light conditions. Some may argue that a mechanical shutter will remove the need for an ND filter.

Because it's the camera Gotham deserves, and it's the one I need right now.

No. The P4P camera is larger.

So how does everyone feel about this pro? If its even coming out, Would it be worth it to refund my p4 and get the p4 pro ive got until christmas to return it and get my money back from bestbuy
YES, the poor transmit power of the GL300C that comes with the P4 is enough to give it back to DJI, it's their weakest Lightbridge controller manufactured to date (otherwise I like my P4). The new "improved" Lightbridge might live up to a reasonable 2+ mile range since they state 4+ miles for the US FCC version.

I'm not going to replace my P3P yet since I can't justify the cost, but if anything happens to it now I'm in a real bind - do I want very similar video performance in a much more portable package, or do I want something with the same basic footprint but a much better camera? Decisions, decisions. (I know, I know, just get both. :p)

I wish I had known, I would've waited for the pro. By the time I bought the P4 extra batteries and iPad mini4, I could've bought this pro for close to the same. I now have the yuneec 500q+, P4, and P3pro. Now I want the 4 pro...... had I went with the used P3 first, I would've totally been satisfied and would've updated to this P4pro. Let's wait til most of the real world reviews start coming in to see how great they really are. Sometimes "newest" are not the clearest winners here.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I want the Pro simply for the mechanical shutter. I use my drone for photogrammetry so the mechanical shutter would greatly reduce image distortion introduced by the rolling shutter while the drone is in motion. Plus, I could fly faster thus increasing my area of interest increasing efficiency.

Speaking of the mechanical shutter, are there any other cameras offered by DJI that have the mechanical shutter as well that could be mounted to the Inspire or Matrice?

Well done to DJI, I love my Phantoms and believe a 20 mp was long over due, it also comes with some useful anti crash gear, it would be great if it were cheaper but if you have a good product, it will always sell. Time to start saving again.

Your P4 just greatly dropped in value as a result of the introduction of the P4P and I think there's no question that you should get full retail price back on the P4 while you can.

I've had my P4 since it came out and have had some fantastic days with it, I also have the P3p and the same goes for that. I will not be able to return either. With regards to a refund, with the greatest of respect the drop in value is not relevant as I will still be using them and enjoying them for many months to come. Value is not always monetary.

Yes, you can use the P4 battery in the P4 Pro but you just don't get the 30 min. flight time.

Nice of DJI to utilize the P4 batteries though. A real money saver for those on a budget.

anyone know if yo can use the p4 battery in the p4pro?

Yes, you can use the P4 battery in the P4 Pro but you just don't get the 30 min. flight time.

Nice of DJI to utilize the P4 batteries though. A real money saver for those on a budget.
Nobody will get 30 minutes out of the P4P, anymore than they got 27 minutes out of the P4 battery, but the ratios are correct. You should get 10% more than what you are getting now, out of the P4 battery, when using a P4P battery, in the P4, and 10% less than the P4P battery in the P4P, when using a P4 battery in the P4P.

As an independent blogger and reviewer...I have to mention this to all interested in every shiny new toy. Specs don't mean much to a lot of the potential market for consumer level machines. Anything from a P3A up is, IMHO, good enough for most people. We'd be crazy not to consider both needs AND budget when making the choice of a new bird.

I have a review model P4P. But I probably will be using my own old P4 and Mavic Pro once I return this...and I won't be jealous or saving up my pennies? Why? Well - because I don't make money from my work AND I am not a prosumer photo and video guy. For that reason, and $$, I am very happy with fixed focus on my P4 and the portability of the Mavic Pro.

I'm not saying this is not an amazing piece of gear. It all depends on what your workflow is - what you do with your machines day in and day out. I end up flying for REAL pics and vids perhaps 20 times a year. The rest of the times I am reviewing or testing something. Out of those 20 outings I maybe get 50 stunning pictures and 10 great videos that I save and post for posterity.

I would look at it this way.
If we say that the P3A would be good enough for 85% of the consumers (in this range).
Then the P4 is good enough for 90%
The P4P is good enough for 95%

The other 5% need to go Inspire upwards and either are gadget freaks, fat wallets and/or pros or others who get highly paid for their work on a regular basis.

There - maybe I saved some of you a bit of money. Frankly, my P3P was good enough for me and I wouldn't have sold it except that I wanted to write about the P4.

Reactions: chiupolini
As an independent blogger and reviewer...I have to mention this to all interested in every shiny new toy. Specs don't mean much to a lot of the potential market for consumer level machines. Anything from a P3A up is, IMHO, good enough for most people. We'd be crazy not to consider both needs AND budget when making the choice of a new bird.

I have a review model P4P. But I probably will be using my own old P4 and Mavic Pro once I return this...and I won't be jealous or saving up my pennies? Why? Well - because I don't make money from my work AND I am not a prosumer photo and video guy. For that reason, and $$, I am very happy with fixed focus on my P4 and the portability of the Mavic Pro.

I'm not saying this is not an amazing piece of gear. It all depends on what your workflow is - what you do with your machines day in and day out. I end up flying for REAL pics and vids perhaps 20 times a year. The rest of the times I am reviewing or testing something. Out of those 20 outings I maybe get 50 stunning pictures and 10 great videos that I save and post for posterity.

I would look at it this way.
If we say that the P3A would be good enough for 85% of the consumers (in this range).
Then the P4 is good enough for 90%
The P4P is good enough for 95%

The other 5% need to go Inspire upwards and either are gadget freaks, fat wallets and/or pros or others who get highly paid for their work on a regular basis.

There - maybe I saved some of you a bit of money. Frankly, my P3P was good enough for me and I wouldn't have sold it except that I wanted to write about the P4.
Sounds like sour grapes to me! :p
You make some good points, though! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4