Phantom 4 - Video downlink issue after 1.8.0 remote update

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
Few days ago I've updated the remote controller firmware from 1.6.0 to 1.8.0.
At the same time I've updated also DJIGO on my IOS device iPad air 2 (from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2) and on my Android device Galaxy S5 (from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1).
After these updates the video downlink became unusable on both devices: black and green screens, frozen image, pixellation, etc.
I needed to use my Phantom 4, so I made a test with Litchi (on the iPad; I don't have got Litchi for Android too) and the video downlink was perfect.
The same with the HDMI output: no problem at all on both devices.
Then, I've downgraded the firmware to 1.6.0 again and this solved the problem on Galaxy S5 but, strangely, not on the iPad.
After some tests I've discovered that with Litchi you can set the video bitrate manually, where on DJIGO the manual setting is deactivated.
If I set each one of the bitrate values with Litchi, then I go with DJIGO, the "manual" setting is activated and video downlink is perfect but if I click again on "auto" the videolink becomes unusable again and I cannot switch back to "manual" settings; I'm obliged to use Litchi to set the manual bitrate again.
I've tried to refresh firmware on both, the controller and the craft, but this didn't solve anything.
Has anybody else the same or some similar problem?
Is there a solution or I have to wait for DJI to fix it with next firmwares?
Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: blusnapper
I think you should have updated the craft first, then the controller and GO app.

You can use the digital assistant app from DJI on a PC to update the craft firmware, or use the 1.6.0 firmware in the RC to update the craft to the latest through the RC, then move to 1.8.0 in the RC.

Why did you want to upgrade from 1.6.0? I will never upgrade unless there's a compelling reason. I never do it just because there's a new one. That's asking for trouble.

Next time do it in this order :
1. Update craft firmware through the RC.
2. Update RC firmware
3. Update the GO app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enal
Thanks John, but I had already updated the craft to last firmware version (some weeks before) when I've updated controller and app.
I do the updates because DJI suggests to always keep gear updated.

Hi everybody!
Few days ago I've updated the remote controller firmware from 1.6.0 to 1.8.0.
At the same time I've updated also DJIGO on my IOS device iPad air 2 (from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2) and on my Android device Galaxy S5 (from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1).
After these updates the video downlink became unusable on both devices: black and green screens, frozen image, pixellation, etc.
I needed to use my Phantom 4, so I made a test with Litchi (on the iPad; I don't have got Litchi for Android too) and the video downlink was perfect.
The same with the HDMI output: no problem at all on both devices.
Then, I've downgraded the firmware to 1.6.0 again and this solved the problem on Galaxy S5 but, strangely, not on the iPad.
After some tests I've discovered that with Litchi you can set the video bitrate manually, where on DJIGO the manual setting is deactivated.
If I set each one of the bitrate values with Litchi, then I go with DJIGO, the "manual" setting is activated and video downlink is perfect but if I click again on "auto" the videolink becomes unusable again and I cannot switch back to "manual" settings; I'm obliged to use Litchi to set the manual bitrate again.
I've tried to refresh firmware on both, the controller and the craft, but this didn't solve anything.
Has anybody else the same or some similar problem?
Is there a solution or I have to wait for DJI to fix it with next firmwares?
Many thanks in advance!

I have the same issue with the ios device. The workaround (1. open litchi, 2. close litchi, 3. Open DJI Go, 4. can change the video transmission bitrate, 5. fpv works) ) over the litchi app works.

Reactions: GaryJD
I have the same issue with the ios device. The workaround (1. open litchi, 2. close litchi, 3. Open DJI Go, 4. can change the video transmission bitrate, 5. fpv works) ) over the litchi app works.
Thanks Bonny,
this is the method that I'm using now but I'd like to have my iPad to work fine again without these "manouvers".
I'm thinking if I only had an iPad without Litchi installed: I'd been obliged to spend 25 Euros for the app or to put my Phantom 4 in "long standby mode".

I think that the transmission bitrate default value in the dji go app is to high for my iphone 6s and ipad mini 2. dji mast change de app that we can change the bitrate.

I think that the transmission bitrate default value in the dji go app is to high for my iphone 6s and ipad mini 2. dji mast change de app that we can change the bitrate.
I don't know, because when I set the bitrate manually in Litchi, I can choose any of the bitrate and I haven't any problem in DJIGO, neither with the highest bitrate, but I have to let it on Manual.
If I switch to auto, I have video issue and I cannot set manual again; I must go in Litchi, set the bitrate, then coming back in DJIGO.

I had this problem over the weekend. It was an awesome day for flying so it really pissed me off. I switched over to Litchi and stayed there all day. I am moving towards abandoning DJI Go for good. There is nothing to the Go app that Litchi can't do better.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had this problem over the weekend. It was an awesome day for flying so it really pissed me off. I switched over to Litchi and stayed there all day. I am moving towards abandoning DJI Go for good. There is nothing to the Go app that Litchi can't do better.

Yes, it seems so.
I'm doing the same: I'm moving to Litchi, otherwise would be nonsense to spend 25 Euro for it, but I wanted to study this app deeply, before flying my P4 with it.
At the moment, for example, I don't know if there's a way to see picture and movies directly from the device.

DJI release a new aircraft firmeare for the p4. This firmware works fine for me

I saw a notice to update the firmware today when I fired up the bird. Bypassed it for now, just in case. Probably will install it on Monday.

AD

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

This happened to my P4 too right after updating.

Fortunately, I managed to get smooth video by going to the "HD live feed" settings, changing from Auto to Custom, choose a channel manually (i used ch18), and setting the video feed to specific range.

About firmware upgrade, till now, on mine, I see only the advise about remote controller update but nothing about the craft.
Maybe in other Countries the firmwares are released earlier.

@BorneoSkies: how can you change from Auto to Custom?
I cannot do it on mine because this option is locked in DJI Go.
I must set a channel in Litchi, then switch to DJI Go.
I use an iPad Air 2.

Hi Ricky, try to change iPad settings to US country instead i.e Italy and restart GO app (make sure GO app is closed with double-click home button and wipe out App if there)

Ciao spero funziona.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricky971

Except settings/calibrations etc. So you should always keep the app even if you only use Litchi for flying, as Litchi fetches settings from the GO app.

Hi Ricky, try to change iPad settings to US country instead i.e Italy and restart GO app (make sure GO app is closed with double-click home button and wipe out App if there)

Ciao spero funziona.

I've updated the Phantom firmware (it was there on DJI Assistant, waiting for my craft!) but the problem hasn't been solved, so I've updated again remote controller, from 1.6.0 to 1.8.0, but nothing, then I've tried the 32ch mod, but it was impossible to use it with the "Custom" setting locked, so I've changed regional settings, as you suggested, from Italy to USA and now it's everything perfect!
I'm sure that it was enough to do just the Regional settings step to solve all the problem, since firmware update seems to have nothing to do with video frequencies bug.
Thanks for your suggestion! :)

Hi Ricky, great news. Note last craft firmware update 1.2.602 released 2016.11.08 should have resolved this video feed issue in auto mode. Also note if you have several batteries please upgrade them all, as battery management improvement also included in this new firmware.

You should have now following combination:
RC: 1.8.0 - iOS GO app: 3.0.2 - P4: 1.2.602
(and current iOS 10.1.1)

Last edited:
Reactions: ricky971

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member