Phantom 4 versus 4 Pro? Opinions needed...

Reaction score
Hi All,

Opinions wanted... Feel like I've outgrown my Autel X-Star and got a great deal on a refurbished Phantom 4 via DJI's online ebay store ($729) which is due to be delivered this week. Given recent developments with the discontinuation (I've probably read too much into it) am now thinking of returning it and going with the Pro 4 given the additional sensors, camera, performance, etc... (am a hobbyist btw so I won't be using it for anything professional). Only problem is the Pro 4 is literally twice what I paid for the 4 (have no problem going with a refurb given the one year warranty and DJI care I plan on purchasing)... Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

This video explains the differences between the P4 and P4P:

Reactions: F3honda4me
For an hobbyist P4 should be good enough as it has great features and a good camera.

Some people always like to have the best and don't mind spending more, in that case One can go for P4P or plus.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi All,

Opinions wanted... Feel like I've outgrown my Autel X-Star and got a great deal on a refurbished Phantom 4 via DJI's online ebay store ($729) which is due to be delivered this week. Given recent developments with the discontinuation (I've probably read too much into it) am now thinking of returning it and going with the Pro 4 given the additional sensors, camera, performance, etc... (am a hobbyist btw so I won't be using it for anything professional). Only problem is the Pro 4 is literally twice what I paid for the 4 (have no problem going with a refurb given the one year warranty and DJI care I plan on purchasing)... Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I got the P4P recently after doing a lot of reading, but this was because I have a hobby of Photography (also plan on doing commercial work this year with it) so the camera improvement sold it for me and I couldn't afford an Inspire.

However the P4 camera seems great from the pics I've seen on these forums and imo I wouldn't say the other features the P4P has warrants paying twice the price you paid for your P4 especially if your just a hobbyist.......unless you want a better camera.

I feel the same way as alok and jase, if you are a hobbyist the P4 will be a good choice for the price. If you intend to do commercial work I would greatly consider the P4P for the better camera, as far as the OA extras in the new P4P they are nice to have and they are not active in s mode and thats were you (I) tend to get close calls.

Keep in mind that the P4 will get a massive firmware update with most of the news Mavic and P4P intelligent flight modes... this update will most likely come in February based on what I could read... P4 is good enough!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Like the OP, I too purchased a Phantom 4 on the same deal. This will be my first full size GPS stabilized Quad. I used a small quad will no GPS stability to learn to fly. My biggest problem was its' very light weight, any breeze would blow it all over the place. In the end I got quite good at controlling it, being able to navigate around objects and understand Turns, Bank Turns, and recognizing its orientation and reversing the controls. Once I get used to the new Drone, I think I will try the Litchi app, unless the reported update to the firmware brings all of the Mavic and P4Pro features to the P4. Apparently, it will arrive on Friday.

I feel the same way as alok and jase, if you are a hobbyist the P4 will be a good choice for the price. If you intend to do commercial work I would greatly consider the P4P for the better camera, as far as the OA extras in the new P4P they are nice to have and they are not active in s mode and thats were you (I) tend to get close calls.

Just keep in mind that there was a similar opinion about the P3P. The P4 is much better then a P3P, so even for commercial work it will be good enough for many occasions. You can always buy a more expansive drone like the inspire, but the best jobs rely mostly on creativity (art) and less on hardware.

Hi All,

When you're starting out get the tool that will "just" do the job...The P4 is more than capable of doing entry level "commercial" work (real estate type) and beyond...most of that work ends up online or printed small on one-sheets.

The rule I've always lived and worked by over 40 years of Pro Photography is that one tool buys the next one...when you're making enough off the P4 and have a genuine need (not just a want) for the added features of the P4pro then go for it...I see so many birds on CL being sold at a discount by people who thought they were going to do commercial work and ended up not for various reasons...

Reactions: rene van der meer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl