Phantom 4 Pro V2 Wild Gimbal Dance (Video attached)

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a phantom 4 pro v2 and it has previously crashed into a lake after striking a limb on a tree.

PROBLEM:

Camera gimbal slowly rolls up and then down to both endpoints but then goes absolutely berserk in all directions. I'm getting errors on all 4 "motor esc" as well as "camera sensor" error.
Currently on latest firmware and able to complete the process but when I turn it off and reconnect it to dji assistant 2 I get an error that there some modules have incompatible firmware installed, then it has the firmware update and completes and no error until the next time I turn the drone off and reconnect.
Only one of the 2 IMU antennas currently functioning.

ATTEMPTS COMPLETED TO SOLVE SO FAR:

I've disassembled it and clean everything with deoxit D5 and replaced the flex cable on the gimbal.
I've also replaced the top half of the yaw motor (containing sensors and copper windings) while keeping the original yaw motor housing.
Replaced battery with OEM DJI battery

Phantom 4 Pro V2 Gimbal issue

Hello all. I have a phantom 4 pro v2 and it has previously crashed into a lake after striking a limb on a tree.

PROBLEM:

Camera gimbal slowly rolls up and then down to both endpoints but then goes absolutely berserk in all directions. I'm getting errors on all 4 "motor esc" as well as "camera sensor" error.
Currently on latest firmware and able to complete the process but when I turn it off and reconnect it to dji assistant 2 I get an error that there some modules have incompatible firmware installed, then it has the firmware update and completes and no error until the next time I turn the drone off and reconnect.
Only one of the 2 IMU antennas currently functioning.

ATTEMPTS COMPLETED TO SOLVE SO FAR:

I've disassembled it and clean everything with deoxit D5 and replaced the flex cable on the gimbal.
I've also replaced the top half of the yaw motor (containing sensors and copper windings) while keeping the original yaw motor housing.
Replaced battery with OEM DJI battery

Phantom 4 Pro V2 Gimbal issue
Oh those trees
Wow year crazy cam,presume you had shells apart ? Were esc ribbon cables ok,impacts can tear them or unclip them from housing,,very hard to guesstimate what water damage there is without having extra boards to swap out etc,,,some go after swimming but some work out chasing a blind goose,,its almost easier to look for another damaged drone for parts mayby,,you know there's power at your gimble so that could be worth looking at boards but buying and it dont work can end up costly,,
As for the imu ,again track and trace,it might need a tap to wake up or its damaged
Good luck,,I be reading

Thanks ianzone. I will check all ribbon cables again but I didn't see anything that worried me much. I found a pack of flat ribbon cables for $30 on Amazon so I may go ahead and try that since it's cheap. I wish there was some sort of schematic for the gimbal so I could attempt to probe it and see if I can find a culprit.

Thanks ianzone. I will check all ribbon cables again but I didn't see anything that worried me much. I found a pack of flat ribbon cables for $30 on Amazon so I may go ahead and try that since it's cheap. I wish there was some sort of schematic for the gimbal so I could attempt to probe it and see if I can find a culprit.
Might I suggest that if you replace any of the flat cables, that you invest in original DJI cables. You will be happy that you did!

So I've replaced all 7 flat cables with DJI oem parts. Still suffering the same issue.

So now I've replaced the following:

7 Flat ribbon cables
Flushed all parts thoroughly with deoxit 5D
Replaced Flex cable on gimbal
Replaced Yaw gimbal motor using original housing
Brand new DJI oem battery.

Anybody have a good idea of the next step to recommend?

Okay, I have in my possession for the time being a brand new Phantom 4 Pro v2 ( lets refer to it as the "good" drone) to help track down the problem with the problem PP4 v2 ( we can refer to this one as "bad" drone)

I swapped the whole camera/gimbal assembly and it seams to work fine on the bad drone. So this logically points an issue within the gimbal/camera assembly from the bad drone in some way. The flex cable is new as is the yaw motor. The camera pitches down and up on startup just fine and then pauses before going Ape s*** crazy. So would anybody have a recommendation with this new info?

After replacing all the hardware I found that replacing the IMU with a known good unit fixed the issues so I purchased a used IMU from ebay. Fingers crossed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers