Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 drifts north on it's own

This happens to me. Though the gimbal feels like it’s pointing to 2 o’clock.

I’ll find a road later this evening and fly it in a straight line. This new firmware was a huge disappointment.
Yes either way it doesn't feel like the aircraft is flying straight and that's the problem my original Phantom 4 Pro flew straight my mavic Pro flew straight, my spark my mavic air all flew straight.

I'm changing my tune about getting the V2, I think it will be worth the wait for the P5, even if it takes another 6 months.
Its still a great ac ....just needs an update to fix some small issues...caught some footage today.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Its still a great ac ....just needs an update to fix some small issues...caught some footage today.
I think you're right, but I just can't justify getting both the V2 and the P5 when it finally comes out, and my expectations are pretty high for the P5. btw, great piloting and video work.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll see that for a while though especially with the mavic 2 coming out at least not until Christmas or after.....

I don't think we'll see that for a while though especially with the mavic 2 coming out at least not until Christmas or after.....

I’m actually thinking of getting a Spark for flying around at work or at the playground with my daughter and saving the phantom 4 for work related stuff only. Spark seems like it’s pretty fun and it’s cheap

Reactions: Hounddog
This issue remains me about the issue I had with an electronic compass I tried to use on my motor boat. The compass was from a manufacturer with good reputation, no cheap thing....
The compass had three magnetic sensors, three accelerometer sensors and three gyros so all three directions where covered (same concept as the IMU in the Phantom P4 Pro).
I tested the compass but they never got it working properly, it was sent back for calibration and then I tested again without success, I finally got a refund.
This where my findings:
Driving in small waves, the boat bounce quite hard in the waves but is never airborne. The compass drifts away 10-15 degress while the boat maintains quite steady course.
Changing speed (20-5 knots or 5-20 knots) when travelling east or west, the compass drifts away approx 20 degrees from the actual course and returns to correct course when the speed is steady again.
Changing course when travelling a course close to north. It lags behind the actual course and needs several seconds to stabilize on the new course.
Changing course when travelling a course close to south. It responds well to course changes but it may actually overshoot.
These tests where done in Sweden where the magnetic dip angle is quite high which makes things more sensitive.

This is a known issue on airplanes, check link below:
Acceleration Errors of an Aircraft Magnetic Compass

The solution for me was to use a so called "gps compass" which uses the position difference between two gps antennas to calculate the heading.
Vector V104™ GPS Compass
It is rock solid and always shows the correct heading even in sharp turns and accelerations. The antennas must be separated by at least 250 mm and the cost for such a thing is around 800 Euro with casing and cables, I guess that DJI could get this price down a bit. They have this concept on the Matrice M210 RTK to get good heading but there they also have high accuracy on the position using RTK which cost a lot! Maybe on Phantom 5?

It would be interesting to know if the yaw drift is lower for those flying in lower latitudes (closer to the equator) since the errors from the accelerometers isn't that sensitive with lower magnetic dip angle.

/hakan

I'm changing my tune about getting the V2, I think it will be worth the wait for the P5, even if it takes another 6 months.
Don't forget, the P5 will have firmware issues for 6mos after it's released also. All DJI craft have firmware issues when released, it's to be expected, as sure as the sun will rise in the morning. But when the P5 is released, the P4PV2 will be flying great by then, and likely cost less. :p

Reactions: Ripper7620
Don't forget, the P5 will have firmware issues for 6mos after it's released also. All DJI craft have firmware issues when released, it's to be expected, as sure as the sun will rise in the morning. But when the P5 is released, the P4PV2 will be flying great by then, and likely cost less. :p
I believe you're correct, but for what the P5 is likely to offer compared to the V2, I'm willing to deal with it.

I'm still having massive yaw issues. It's so frustrating, as my Mavic didn't have any of these problems. It feels like I've downgraded.

I've also started seeing weird glitching in the video. It's ruining some of my favorite shots.

Spoke to DJI today and they assured me that the developers are working on a fix for yaw drift. Hope he is right and it comes soon.

Reactions: Paul2660
Hi!
Welcome to the "club" of V2 yaw drifting!
The V2 IMU has big problems either in hardware of software and my guess is that DJI has tried to hide the problem in the latest software with an ugly fix that doesn't work....
My guess on the fix....
The fix that can be used if they are stationary in the air is that they use object recognition and yaw the gimbal in the opposite direction when the P4 drifts in yaw. When you push forward stick and it has done some yaw compensation you get a surprise, it doesn't fly in the direction the camera is pointing since the camera isn't pointing straight ahead anymore.

/hakan
How to Fix this Issue

Yes either way it doesn't feel like the aircraft is flying straight and that's the problem my original Phantom 4 Pro flew straight my mavic Pro flew straight, my spark my mavic air all flew straight.

my ph4 pro 2.0 flies straight and doesn’t do anything like what i’ve read here,guess im just lucky

i love my ph4 pro 2.0,she flies straight and is steady as a rock,pic quality is very impressive as is the long range i can fly her,my white dji goggles are very solid while flying this drone with picture perfect images that never distort.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic