Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 drifts north on it's own

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone else has seen this (before I bug DJI with it). My Phantom 4 Pro v2.0, whenever stopped will start to rotate slowly until it reaches what I think is North. It does this intermittently and makes it very difficult to get a shot where I'm just stopped.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've calibrated the compass, controller, and the gimbal. I've calibrated the IMU twice in the 3 flights I've done with this unit. Btw, IMU calibration is such a pain in the ***. I don't understand why I gotta burn up so much battery on calibrations all the time - but I'll save that for another rant.

Hi!
Welcome to the "club" of V2 yaw drifting!
The V2 IMU has big problems either in hardware of software and my guess is that DJI has tried to hide the problem in the latest software with an ugly fix that doesn't work....
My guess on the fix....
The fix that can be used if they are stationary in the air is that they use object recognition and yaw the gimbal in the opposite direction when the P4 drifts in yaw. When you push forward stick and it has done some yaw compensation you get a surprise, it doesn't fly in the direction the camera is pointing since the camera isn't pointing straight ahead anymore.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

/hakan

It's so funny that you would bring that up, because when I push the sticks forward the drone will often go in a different direction than I was expecting. I've even had a few experiences where it feels like the drone is flying at an angle (the camera points off center when flying).

It's really surreal because I had the mavic pro before this and I knew what to expect. With this Phantom, it just kinda seems to do things however it wants.

If it's a common problem, what does one do? I've only flown the thing 3 times. Do I warranty it?

If you send it in you will probably get another P4 Pro V2 with yaw drift, I haven't read about a non drifting P4 Pro V2 yet....
Hopefully DJI will fix this silently in later P4 Pro V2 revisions....

/hakan

Thanks HerKam. I've been reading some interesting forms on the subject.

Yaw Drift

I'm gonna go through and try some of this stuff. It's a bit of a pain in the butt.

I was one of the people who had the focus issue with the Mavic, now I'm a Yaw drifter on the Phantom. I wonder if Autel has any of these issues.

It's so funny that you would bring that up, because when I push the sticks forward the drone will often go in a different direction than I was expecting. I've even had a few experiences where it feels like the drone is flying at an angle (the camera points off center when flying).

It's really surreal because I had the mavic pro before this and I knew what to expect. With this Phantom, it just kinda seems to do things however it wants.

If it's a common problem, what does one do? I've only flown the thing 3 times. Do I warranty it?
This is exactly what mine does....flys at an angle it looks like . When trying to go straight thats a no bueno... u have to write to dji on the dji forum like i did....the more people that do they may actually acknowledge us.

This is typical for new model DJI drones. There's always something that needs fixed in firmware. We're their beta testers.... that what we joke about all the time. But we love DJI, you just have to be patient and have a backup drone you enjoy.

This is typical for new model DJI drones. There's always something that needs fixed in firmware. We're their beta testers.... that what we joke about all the time. But we love DJI, you just have to be patient and have a backup drone you enjoy.
Very true...the v2 def needs a fw fix. Because its happens to everyone i know with a v2

Apparently, DJI just addressed this very issue with their new firmware. It requires that you re-do your IMU calibration on a flat surface (not the road), like a table at home, and it should correct the issue. I've just upgraded. Will be testing tomorrow morning to see if it really worked.

Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 Release Notes

Apparently, DJI just addressed this very issue with their new firmware. It requires that you re-do your IMU calibration on a flat surface (not the road), like a table at home, and it should correct the issue. I've just upgraded. Will be testing tomorrow morning to see if it really worked.

Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 Release Notes
No this fw came out last month .....in fact more then a month ....alot of us updated the day it came out and still have same problem. Fw did nothing for this particular problem

Tokyo Drift.jpg

Reactions: $gambino$
Try going back in the firmware, my Obsidian started drifting with new firmware.My p4 The camera points left with new firmware, went back on that one two and it fixed problem.I can't use new firmware on p4 or Obsidian

It would help to know what SW and FW people with or without problems are using. I received my new P4PV2 two days ago and even in moderately gusting winds my new P4PV2 in a 10 ' on up to 100' hover in the gusting winds is very stable and absolutely no yaw! I've flown 4 batteries worth. I'm using FW Ver: 01.00.1500, and SW Ver: 4.2.21.
My only gripe is even though my RC and Aircraft links/connects fast, no matter which USB Cable I used, it takes forever to bring up the Camera Ready to Fly. This morning I deleted the Android App Ver: 4.2.21 reloaded it and I had the App Camera View almost immediately!

It would help to know what SW and FW people with or without problems are using. I received my new P4PV2 two days ago and even in moderately gusting winds my new P4PV2 in a 10 ' on up to 100' hover in the gusting winds is very stable and absolutely no yaw! I've flown 4 batteries worth. I'm using FW Ver: 01.00.1500, and SW Ver: 4.2.21.
My only gripe is even though my RC and Aircraft links/connects fast, no matter which USB Cable I used, it takes forever to bring up the Camera Ready to Fly. This morning I deleted the Android App Ver: 4.2.21 reloaded it and I had the App Camera View almost immediately!
I dont experience the yaw problem so much....but i do experience the not flying straight part...can you do me a favor and do a little test with yours? Fly straight after taking off and at safe alt, fly for about 1000 feet (safely it is still line of sight) u need to do a good few hundred feet for it to show its ugly head. I want to see if yours will actually track straight with just pushing the right stick forward at a safe altitude....let me know if it starts to almost feel like camera is looking at 10 o clock or almost like you are flying diagonal when the craft should be flying straight.....everyone i know personally with a v2 has this problem and on both fw (factory and .1500) a video would be nice. Thanks! Also when doing this test it will fly straight at first then after so many hundred feet get worse. So basically u have to hang in there u will see what we are all talking about!

I'll be glad to do that test but it will have to be in a couple of weeks+. I'm presently at a relatives house in CA surrounded by buildings but will be returning to my place up at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains where I can fly for miles without obstructions unless someone else can do it for you before that!

I'll be glad to do that test but it will have to be in a couple of weeks+. I'm presently at a relatives house in CA surrounded by buildings but will be returning to my place up at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains where I can fly for miles without obstructions unless someone else can do it for you before that!
Ok thanks....and no problem

This happens to me. Though the gimbal feels like it’s pointing to 2 o’clock.

I’ll find a road later this evening and fly it in a straight line. This new firmware was a huge disappointment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic