Phantom 4 Pro leaves GPS into Atti Mode

Reaction score
I’m a relatively new pilot. I’ve had my phantom 4 pro + up around 10-12 times. Recently, it seems to be going out of GPS into Atti mode pretty frequently and also says there’s a compass failure. Freaks me out and I’m afraid to lose a visual on the actual drone while flying. Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

Recently, it seems to be going out of GPS into Atti mode pretty frequently and also says there’s a compass failure. Freaks me out and I’m afraid to lose a visual on the actual drone while flying.
You are getting a compass error (that's not a failure of the compass) and thatis what's causing the flight controller to ignore the GPS data.
Where are you launching the drone from?

You are getting a compass error (that's not a failure of the compass) and thatis what's causing the flight controller to ignore the GPS data.
Where are you launching the drone from?
I’ve tried it is various areas. Mostly in town but most recently at a farm house in the country. It seems like it doesn’t matter where I’m at, I still get that error.

I’m a relatively new pilot. I’ve had my phantom 4 pro + up around 10-12 times. Recently, it seems to be going out of GPS into Atti mode pretty frequently and also says there’s a compass failure. Freaks me out and I’m afraid to lose a visual on the actual drone while flying. Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?
What type of surface have you been taking off from? Were you near any metallic structures? Remember that concrete surfaces often have rebar or metal pipes just under the surface.

Good point. It’s always been concrete or asphalt. I did take off from grass at a park on one occasion. Seemed to do the same thing. Is it a calibration issue?

I have taken off from metal surfaces before and while it is on the metal surface I get a compass error. I usually let it go up about 8-10 feet in Hover for a minute or two and it seems to straighten itself out in no problems during the flight and I hand catch on the return

Good point. It’s always been concrete or asphalt. I did take off from grass at a park on one occasion. Seemed to do the same thing. Is it a calibration issue?
It could be a calibration issue or it could be a compass problem. Power up your P4P in a wide open grass field and go into the go app, and check the sensors. Look at the compass screen and see if you are getting green indication for both compasses and also that they are fairly close in value to each other. The P4P has dual compasses. If one fails or they disagree with each other, you will start to see some issues.

If all that looks good then try performing a compass calibration. Big field. No metal nearby or under you. No cell phone in your packet, no keys, no watch. See if the issue goes away after calibration.

Reactions: lasersbee and Airfx
I have taken off from metal surfaces before and while it is on the metal surface I get a compass error. I usually let it go up about 8-10 feet in Hover for a minute or two and it seems to straighten itself out in no problems during the flight and I hand catch on the return
That may work great for you until...it doesn't. Taking off from a metal surface is generally a bad idea. The compass will be disoriented right at the beginning and once you gain altitude it may then disagree with the IMU. At that point things may just come back to normal or the drone may have no idea of what is going on. I would never take off while the system is telling me that there is a compass issue.

You've just been lucky but keep doing that and it's not going to end well.

Reactions: lasersbee

Are you launching from near your car.? Do u have a mobile phone on or about your person.? If so switch it off. And do a good calibration. These are things I’ve found help.

Regards and happy flying.

Are you launching from near your car.? Do u have a mobile phone on or about your person.? If so switch it off. And do a good calibration. These are things I’ve found help.
If you launch more than 10 feet from a car, the car will not have any effect on the drone.
Having a mobile phone in your pocket will have zero effect on your flight, whether it's on or off.
And recalibrating your Phantom is unnecessary and won't fix anything or make your flight safer.

That may work great for you until...it doesn't. Taking off from a metal surface is generally a bad idea. The compass will be disoriented right at the beginning and once you gain altitude it may then disagree with the IMU. At that point things may just come back to normal or the drone may have no idea of what is going on. I would never take off while the system is telling me that there is a compass issue.
Its my boat I fly from so not much choice.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic