Phantom 4 Pro - in flight props still distracting or fixed ?

Reaction score

Till Phantom 4 every time I had to shoot at 4K and then crop the video, as every time, the props rotating was coming in the video.

Is this fixed in Phantom 4 Pro ?

Till Phantom 4 every time I had to shoot at 4K and then crop the video, as every time, the props rotating was coming in the video.
Is this fixed in Phantom 4 Pro ?
The Phantom flies forward by tilting up to 42° (S-mode); 35° (A-mode); 25° (P-mode).
If the drone is tilted down at the front and your camera is looking straight forward, you will see the props.
There's no way to avoid that except to tilt the camera down a little or fly slower.

Okay with Mavic, I dont see any props even at full frame 1080p footages.

Thought P4PRO had got this sorted, but no issue.

4K 60fps, Im good to go and crop it anyways.

The Mavic camera is positioned at the front of the craft which helps to keep the props out of frame. P4P camera is positioned same as P4, so props situation will be the same. What they need to do is invent invisible props.

The P4P design has not been changed. So, it'll still be an issue if you're experiencing this with the P4 now.

The camera angle of view has been reduced by 10 degrees. At comparable speeds props will be less evident with the P4 Pro.

The Mavic camera is positioned at the front of the craft which helps to keep the props out of frame. P4P camera is positioned same as P4, so props situation will be the same. What they need to do is invent invisible props.
Or, move the camera forward in P5, then counterbalance that with a bigger 99 watt battery!

Don't forget, Mavic only has a 74° FOV, that helps this problem too.

The camera angle of view has been reduced by 10 degrees.
That's 10 degrees on the sides though. No? If so, that won't matter since the props peek in from the top of the frame.

That's 10 degrees on the sides though. No? If so, that won't matter since the props peek in from the top of the frame.
The total angle of view has been reduced by 11%. It affects both horizontal and vertical cross-section and is actually measured diagonally.

I suspect what we'll see is very little prop intrusion in P-mode, which happens to be about 10 mph faster on this bird. S-mode will still show up quite a bit though.

Last edited:
Got it.

I don't see props in my videos with the P4. I'm guessing this is likely a non-issue for most who are treating their Phantoms as flying cameras instead of racing drones.

Yeah, the only time I really use S-mode is to get somewhere in a hurry to set up for another shot. Love the way it sounds flying overhead though :)

If you want a Phantom and wish not to have props in the frame, then you can be certain that the Phantom 5 will be the one for you.

My money says the Phantom 5 will move the camera forward and also address the landing gear for flight and portability.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you want a Phantom and wish not to have props in the frame, then you can be certain that the Phantom 5 will be the one for you.

My money says the Phantom 5 will move the camera forward and also address the landing gear for flight and portability.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I just don't see that happening. For one, there are no leaks confirming a P5. For all we know they will make the P4P V2.0 before a P5. I highly doubt DJI will take the high-end features from the Inspire series and trickle them into Phantom series. The biggest selling point for the Inspire is the professional cinema features like 360 rotation camera, lifting landing arms and advanced flight characteristics. DJI is extremely business smart, and knows how to ensure their high-end market does not settle for a $1500 alternative. Think about it, a tricked out I2 runs around $20,000.

I just don't see that happening. For one, there are no leaks confirming a P5. For all we know they will make the P4P V2.0 before a P5. I highly doubt DJI will take the high-end features from the Inspire series and trickle them into Phantom series. The biggest selling point for the Inspire is the professional cinema features like 360 rotation camera, lifting landing arms and advanced flight characteristics. DJI is extremely business smart, and knows how to ensure their high-end market does not settle for a $1500 alternative. Think about it, a tricked out I2 runs around $20,000.

I agree.- also there was a matrice 600 pro release just around a week ago! - with an upgraded A3. So there is headroom on the top of the P4P. Note, that Inspire2 got a 4G link option!.. and battery redundancy, and a lot more... Also the price

April 2015 = Phantom 3 Pro
April 2016 = Phantom 4
April 2017 = Phantom 5

The Phantom 4 Pro is not an entirely new drone but rather just an enhancement of features (more = better)

2017 is the year of the Phantom 5. I truely believe the issue of props in the shot will become thing of the past with this model. I also believe the camera will be removable so that DJI can sell upgrades.

The Mavic has changed DJI's launch schedule slightly so we may see the Mavic Pro 2 in April and the Phantom 5 in June 2017.

The above is just my best guess based on many factors I can't list here in under 1000 words.

Sent from my SM-P550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I see the Phantom line reaching a state of maturity. Yes they have not yet reached full 6 direction collision avoidance, but that will surely come in the P5 or P5P. After that they are getting into territory (like Apple is now) where upgrades are just not as compelling as they used to be. Processing power and software will continue to advance, but at a slower rate. The Mavic makes sense as it opens up new market potential.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31