Phantom 4 CRASH PLEASE HELP!!!

I was gone for a day and now so many posts. To the OP, I agree that honesty is the best policy here. BUT, you must do your homework and understand exactly what happened in case you need to discuss the succession of events with DJI. Normally the flight log (TXT) file should tell them everything they need to know (what the AC did, and what YOU did). IN the end, have some faith in their good will, you might be pleasantly surprised. All the Best.

So I just starts chat, tell them what happens, and they send me an rma and get back to me later?
Explanation. Keep it as plain English and simple as possible. They will email asking for proof of purchase and will then come back with RMA and courier instructions. You will be a job number which you can track in line to see shipping info and progress if assessment/repair.

I was gone for a day and now so many posts. To the OP, I agree that honesty is the best policy here. BUT, you must do your homework and understand exactly what happened in case you need to discuss the succession of events with DJI. Normally the flight log (TXT) file should tell them everything they need to know (what the AC did, and what YOU did). IN the end, have some faith in their good will, you might be pleasantly surprised. All the Best.
Is online chat the best way to do this? So basically I send it in and they make a determination. I really have no control over it

Yes, you need to chat with them and they'll instruct you what to do. Most likely they'll ask to look at the files first. Not sure what their procedure is when a drone is broken in many pieces. If they're as good as the Lego group, they'll let you keep it and send you a new one.

Also, have you been able to get the TXT/LOG files from the drone?

Link below is for CHAT with DJI. Go to that page, and click on the 'Online Support' button.

DJI Support - Phantom 4

What sort of control are you hoping to get. You are possibly giving yourself an unnecessary headache. Many people, me included, have followed the initial online chat and proceed from there approach. The big story at the start and the initiation through email won't have any bearing in the outcome other than to perhaps add time and misunderstanding to the process.

Yes, you need to chat with them and they'll instruct you what to do. Most likely they'll ask to look at the files first. Not sure what their procedure is when a drone is broken in many pieces. If they're as good as the Lego group, they'll let you keep it and send you a new one.

Also, have you been able to get the TXT/LOG files from the drone?

Link below is for CHAT with DJI. Go to that page, and click on the 'Online Support' button.

DJI Support - Phantom 4
What sort of control are you hoping to get. You are possibly giving yourself an unnecessary headache. Many people, me included, have followed the initial online chat and proceed from there approach. The big story at the start and the initiation through email won't have any bearing in the outcome other than to perhaps add time and misunderstanding to the process.

I know I am probably being a pain in the *** but I really want to make sure I know what I'm doing here. I was able to get some log from the drone, see link in first page. Not the internal DAT files though. I will online chat with them this weekend when I have time and hopefully get the ball rolling. Thanks for all your help. Let me know if you have any advice

I know I am probably being a pain in the *** but I really want to make sure I know what I'm doing here. I was able to get some log from the drone, see link in first page. Not the internal DAT files though. I will online chat with them this weekend when I have time and hopefully get the ball rolling. Thanks for all your help. Let me know if you have any advice
I can't think of anything else to suggest. You will find instructions in various threads how to retrieve the log file from the drone if your keen on doing that. I can't imagine DJI deleting or altering a log file to avoid a warranty claim. Might be important if the drone gets lost by the courier though.

Yep. If I get that warning I'll shut down and check for TFR's or NOTAM's in the area. When in doubt I'll just pack up and find another site.......or go home and do yard work or the 'honey-do list'. Yuk. [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Wouldn't it more prudent to use one of the apps that can tell you whether it's safe to fly before you even take off.

Speaking of confusion about how NFZ's work... ;) This is 100% incorrect.

DJI GO App Now Includes GEO Geofencing System

""Safety is DJI’s top priority, which is why we first introduced geofencing technology three years ago and have been steadily refining the industry’s best technology to enhance aviation safety,” said Brendan Schulman, DJI Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs, who led the development of the new system. “Drone pilots want to fly safely, and our GEO system helps DJI customers fly responsibly while also enabling the full capabilities of remotely piloted aircraft.”

GEO improves upon DJI’s earlier No-Fly Zone technology by including permanent restrictions around prisons, nuclear power plants and other sensitive locations, as well as temporary restrictions for large stadium gatherings and national security events. ""

In order to add, remove or modify a NFZ you need to change its coordinates in the file residing in the drone -each NFZ is defined by a latitude/longitude coordinates and a radius-.

This can only be done through internet. You need to update the software. DJI can add any NFZ at any time -for example in case of a forest fire fighting operations, sport events, etc.- but as for your drone it will become effective only if/when you update its software.
Nobody is coming from planet Mars and modify your drone software without internet connection.

For sure if you are in a NFZ the drone will NOT take off.

If you try to enter a NFZ from outside it, you get a warning message and the drone will stop short of the NFZ.

If you lose GPS while flying toward a NFZ the drone will enter it. If it gain GPS signal while inside the NFZ it will land. You should have the control of it during landing. At least this is what DJI say.

Off course, if you prefer to believe in wrong certitudes you can happily continue to do so.;)

Reactions: JimHarris
Regarding fixing the drone - it depends the extent of things that need to bo replaced. If it's only the shell and motors, you're looking at around $140, provided you DIY. If you need a new camera and/or motherboard, that's a different story.
You can buy the shell and 4 motors for $140 ?

In order to add, remove or modify a NFZ you need to change its coordinates in the file residing in the drone -each NFZ is defined by a latitude/longitude coordinates and a radius-.

This can only be done through internet. You need to update the software. DJI can add any NFZ at any time -for example in case of a forest fire fighting operations, sport events, etc.- but as for your drone it will become effective only if/when you update its software.
Nobody is coming from planet Mars and modify your drone software without internet connection.

For sure if you are in a NFZ the drone will NOT take off.

If you try to enter a NFZ from outside it, you get a warning message and the drone will stop short of the NFZ.

If you lose GPS while flying toward a NFZ the drone will enter it. If it gain GPS signal while inside the NFZ it will land. You should have the control of it during landing. At least this is what DJI say.

Off course, if you prefer to believe in wrong certitudes you can happily continue to do so.;)
This is how I understand it

Wouldn't it more prudent to use one of the apps that can tell you whether it's safe to fly before you even take off.

In a perfect world I guess we all should check before we fly. But if I get an alert before I take off, I WILL check with the FAA site for TFR's and NOTAM's. These alerts can pop up at any time--even while you are already airborne. I don't trust apps for correct or current information.

As an ATP for over 30 years, I'm used to dealing with our friends at the FAA.

Also, the FAA will send email alerts to your device if you sign up for them.....and it's free.

I'll believe what DJI says, considering they are the ones who actually know how it works and designed it to work. The way it was explained by DJI is that when you are connected to the internet on the DJI GO app, it's able to update real time the temporary NFZ information. How that works with the drone etc was not divulged.

I think you are describing the OLD NFZ system that the P3 and earlier drones had. The new GEO system does not work in the same manner, and has this added functionality of updating real time temp NFZs.

But by all means if you have something that DJI has posted to the contrary please do link it.

I'll believe what DJI says, considering they are the ones who actually know how it works and designed it to work. The way it was explained by DJI is that when you are connected to the internet on the DJI GO app, it's able to update real time the temporary NFZ information. How that works with the drone etc was not divulged.

I think you are describing the OLD NFZ system that the P3 and earlier drones had. The new GEO system does not work in the same manner, and has this added functionality of updating real time temp NFZs.

But by all means if you have something that DJI has posted to the contrary please do link it.

the way you describe would mean that files are sent to your device without you knowing it. This is not going to happen.

It would also be very dangerous. Imagine you are flying and suddenly DJI send you an updated file with the area you are in be set as NFZ. Your drone would then immediately land. Bird gone.

DJI pack the new file in an update and when you connect to internet tells you to update, something you have to acknowledge.

This geofencing thing has been implemented in order for DJI to anticipate all kind of legal trouble. They want authorities to believe they are safe, when in reality it is very easy to have your drone fly into any NFZ.

What is missing here (part I do not understand) is how 'Temporary' NFZs are handled? For example, we had Obama visit Chicago few days ago, and it appears some temporary NFZs were implemented. How would the drone know about those? Do we need to update the NFZ on a daily basis?

the way you describe would mean that files are sent to your device without you knowing it. This is not going to happen.

It would also be very dangerous. Imagine you are flying and suddenly DJI send you an updated file with the area you are in be set as NFZ. Your drone would then immediately land. Bird gone.

DJI pack the new file in an update and when you connect to internet tells you to update, something you have to acknowledge.

This geofencing thing has been implemented in order for DJI to anticipate all kind of legal trouble. They want authorities to believe they are safe, when in reality it is very easy to have your drone fly into any NFZ.
So then how do our drones get temporary NFZs without update? I have personally had a temp NFZ prevent my drone from taking off, then the next day when it was lifted, I could take off. I was also able to fly the day before without issue. And no there was no firmware update applied in between the two.

So, explain how it works then since it does in fact work. :) Are you an engineer for DJI? Can you cite your information source please?

Maybe a related question: Can one retrieve the geo-fencing data fom the DJI bird and compare it against the one provided by some of the APPs and other internet resources?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT