Phantom 4 CRASH PLEASE HELP!!!

I pondered the same question. How does the drone know of 'dynamic' NFZs? T do this, the drone must be constantly connected to the internet and update its internal 'maps' dynamically. This of course is neither practical nor realistic. How about this: The 'dynamic' NFZs could be 'emitting/broadcasting' radio waves over the specific NFZ that make it easy for aircrafts to detect it.

You can tell, I honestly do not know (yet) how NFZs work or even how they are enforced ... anyone can shed a light on this mystery?
Not really hard at all, it's just geo data changes, very small packets and not actual maps. For all we know every time we open Go4 in wifi range it auto updates. I don't know if it is or not but it's very doable.

there is a file with the coordinates of the NFZ loaded into the drone, which get read by the software you use to command the drone.
In your case DJI Go I assume -could have been Litchi, Altizure and many others, they all must read this file-.

By getting the GPS location it knows if you are in one of these zones.

It is NOT a dynamic process, DJI cannot add on the fly a temporary NFZ to your Drone.
In order to add or delete one you need to replace the file loaded into the drone.
It is not done automatically. You have to update it.

Speaking of confusion about how NFZ's work... ;) This is 100% incorrect.

DJI GO App Now Includes GEO Geofencing System

""Safety is DJI’s top priority, which is why we first introduced geofencing technology three years ago and have been steadily refining the industry’s best technology to enhance aviation safety,” said Brendan Schulman, DJI Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs, who led the development of the new system. “Drone pilots want to fly safely, and our GEO system helps DJI customers fly responsibly while also enabling the full capabilities of remotely piloted aircraft.”

GEO improves upon DJI’s earlier No-Fly Zone technology by including permanent restrictions around prisons, nuclear power plants and other sensitive locations, as well as temporary restrictions for large stadium gatherings and national security events. ""

What should I write in my case with dji? Should I send them pictures of the damage and tell them about the damage or not? Do I send them an email. If anyone has experience with this help is appreciated. Thank you

When I tried to attach the DJI Go flight log to my email, I realized that the flight log's TXT format wasn't supported by DJI. How should I attach the flight log. Thanks

They will run you through the process. I crashed mine and I was foind 50% at fault and it only cost me $115. Looked brand new when I got it back

Sent from my SM-G935T using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is my current message. How does it look?

I recently had an inflight problem with my Phantom 4. I took it out for a flight at a location that I had flown at multiple times before. This flight was around 4:00 PM Central Time (10:00 UTC) on Wednesday, January 11, 2017. After I started up my Phantom 4, I waited for the aircraft to warm up. As always, the top left status bar in DJI Go 4 read Safe To Fly (GPS). The app confirmed that the home point had been recorded, and I also manually checked it on the map. I took off, confirmed normal flight controls, and took the drone up to 400 feet and flew it about 2,000 feet from me over a forest preserve. At about 2,000 feet out, the Phantom lost signal. At about 1700 feet, I regained RC signal as well as video downlink and I continued to let the RTH procedure run. To my surprise, at about 1400 feet from me, the aircraft began to auto land. A warning appeared that read "You are in a No Fly Zone, Auto land initiated. Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing, fly with caution." Confused, I attempted to cancel the auto land. I got a notification in DJI GO 4 that read "Auto land canceled", but the aircraft continued to descend. I tried to cancel the auto landing procedure twice more during the descent, but the aircraft would not respond. I had no control over the aircraft, as the auto land procedure was irreversible. At around 110 feet, the aircraft descended into a tree and fell to the ground in the forest preserve. I was able to retrieve the Phantom by using the last known location on the map in DJI GO 4.

I don't understand how the No Fly Zone Auto land procedure was triggered. As you will be able to see by the flight logs, I was not flying within five miles of any airport. Based of the US Federal Aviation Administration's website on Temporary Flight Restrictions, there were none at the time of the flight in my area. I checked sites such as knowbeforeyoufly.org that show all No Fly Zone's, and there was clearly not a No Fly Zone at this time. I also checked DJI's geo zone map, and found no No Fly Zone's. I was not flying in a no fly zone during the flight.

If there was a No Fly Zone in my flying location, I should not have been able to take off. DJI GO 4 should have given me a warning that I was about to fly into a No Fly Zone. Using DJI's geofencing technology, the software should not have let me fly into a No Fly Zone, with the exception of a GPS error. I had fourteen satellites at takeoff, and I had 17 satellites for most of the flight. I was connected to more than the minimum of 10 satellites for safe flight. I flew in P Mode for the entire flight.

Based on my research, I think that there was a software malfunction in either DJI Go or the Phantom 4 itself. The drone was purchased under six months ago, so the full warranty should still be available. I would like to shed some light on the situation. I attempted to attach flight logs, but the file format was not supported. Please advise on how to send the flight logs. I can also send the Phantom itself in if it needs to be looked at. I have attached the Proof of Purchase. The Phantom was purchased on Amazon through a DJI authorized dealer, Koozam.

Thank you. I hope the issue can be resolved quickly.

This is my current message. How does it look?

I recently had an inflight problem with my Phantom 4. I took it out for a flight at a location that I had flown at multiple times before. This flight was around 4:00 PM Central Time (10:00 UTC) on Wednesday, January 11, 2017. After I started up my Phantom 4, I waited for the aircraft to warm up. As always, the top left status bar in DJI Go 4 read Safe To Fly (GPS). The app confirmed that the home point had been recorded, and I also manually checked it on the map. I took off, confirmed normal flight controls, and took the drone up to 400 feet and flew it about 2,000 feet from me over a forest preserve. At about 2,000 feet out, the Phantom lost signal. At about 1700 feet, I regained RC signal as well as video downlink and I continued to let the RTH procedure run. To my surprise, at about 1400 feet from me, the aircraft began to auto land. A warning appeared that read "You are in a No Fly Zone, Auto land initiated. Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing, fly with caution." Confused, I attempted to cancel the auto land. I got a notification in DJI GO 4 that read "Auto land canceled", but the aircraft continued to descend. I tried to cancel the auto landing procedure twice more during the descent, but the aircraft would not respond. I had no control over the aircraft, as the auto land procedure was irreversible. At around 110 feet, the aircraft descended into a tree and fell to the ground in the forest preserve. I was able to retrieve the Phantom by using the last known location on the map in DJI GO 4.

I don't understand how the No Fly Zone Auto land procedure was triggered. As you will be able to see by the flight logs, I was not flying within five miles of any airport. Based of the US Federal Aviation Administration's website on Temporary Flight Restrictions, there were none at the time of the flight in my area. I checked sites such as knowbeforeyoufly.org that show all No Fly Zone's, and there was clearly not a No Fly Zone at this time. I also checked DJI's geo zone map, and found no No Fly Zone's. I was not flying in a no fly zone during the flight.

If there was a No Fly Zone in my flying location, I should not have been able to take off. DJI GO 4 should have given me a warning that I was about to fly into a No Fly Zone. Using DJI's geofencing technology, the software should not have let me fly into a No Fly Zone, with the exception of a GPS error. I had fourteen satellites at takeoff, and I had 17 satellites for most of the flight. I was connected to more than the minimum of 10 satellites for safe flight. I flew in P Mode for the entire flight.

Based on my research, I think that there was a software malfunction in either DJI Go or the Phantom 4 itself. The drone was purchased under six months ago, so the full warranty should still be available. I would like to shed some light on the situation. I attempted to attach flight logs, but the file format was not supported. Please advise on how to send the flight logs. I can also send the Phantom itself in if it needs to be looked at. I have attached the Proof of Purchase. The Phantom was purchased on Amazon through a DJI authorized dealer, Koozam.

Thank you. I hope the issue can be resolved quickly.
Looks like too much info. I would simply say you encountered an autoland and could not do anything to abort it.

See what their take is in it after they have had access to the logs and take it from there.

Reactions: JimHarris
Looks like too much info. I would simply say you encountered an autoland and could not do anything to abort it.

See what their take is in it after they have had access to the logs and take it from there.

Thanks for the input. What would you take out?

I would have to agree. Just a bit lengthy. DJI can access all information from the .TXT logs from the internal micro SD card.

Have you asked them to send you a label so you could send it to them?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JimHarris
I would have to agree. Just a bit lengthy. DJI can access all information from the .TXT logs from the internal micro SD card.

Have you asked them to send you a label so you could send it to them?

I haven't done anything yet. Makes sense. I wil cut it down a lot and post back here.

Thanks for the input. What would you take out?
Everything other than the most succinct description of the event you can manage. The drone initiated what seemed to be an autoland without warning and your control inputs had no effect on aborting it. Go on online chat. Get your RMA and take it from there. The most informing log file is inside the AC and they will form their view (initial at least) on what that tells them regardless of what your initial description of events might be.

The simple description serves to get you the rma and the ball rolling.

Mentioning that you managed to power cycle to defeat a NFZ etc won't help your cause.

I think, from what I have seen, to expect a 50/50 offer (or better) isn't unreasonable tn the circumstances.

Even if they try the NFZ thing on you could argue that you assumed it was an error and to the extent it wasn't a power cycle should not have defeated it.

@pete923..........you are still overthinking this. Contact DJI with just a few bullet points to explain the issue. Ask them to start a case on it, and send you a shipping label so you can get the bird to them.....and get it fixed or replaced. Simple. Don't make it over complicated. DJI will review the .txt files from the bird and make a determination.

Everything other than the most succinct description of the event you can manage. The drone initiated what seemed to be an autoland without warning and your control inputs had no effect on aborting it. Go on online chat. Get your RMA and take it from there. The most informing log file is inside the AC and they will form their view (initial at least) on what that tells them regardless of what your initial description of events might be.

The simple description serves to get you the rma and the ball rolling.

Mentioning that you managed to power cycle to defeat a NFZ etc won't help your cause.

I think, from what I have seen, to expect a 50/50 offer (or better) isn't unreasonable tn the circumstances.

Even if they try the NFZ thing on you could argue that you assued it was an error and to the extent it wasn't a power cycle should not have defeated it.
What is an RMA? Do I send an email them go on online chat? Was planning to submit a message through DJIsupport.com. Will I get notified if they send something back?

version 2

My phantom 4 encountered an inflight problem during a recent flight. For no apparent reason, auto land was suddenly initiated and the aircraft began descending towards a wooded area below. I attempted to cancel the procedure three times, but the aircraft would not respond to any of my inputs to terminate the procedure. Because of the auto land, the aircraft hit some trees at about 100 feet and fell to the ground. Please let me know if I need to send in the aircraft for evaluation.

Better? Do I add anything? How does it look

What is an RMA? Do I send an email them go on online chat? Was planning to submit a message through DJIsupport.com. Will I get notified if they send something back?
Don't quote me, I think it means return merchandise authorisation. In any case that what DJI calls it. They send you a shipping label and paperwork to travel with the bird.

You can safely dispense with the initial email. Go straight to the online chat. Take it from there. It's quicker. I have direct experience with both approaches

Don't quote me, I think it means return merchandise authorisation. In any case that what DJI calls it. They send you a shipping label and paperwork to travel with the bird.

You can safely dispense with the initial email. Go straight to the online chat. Take it from there. It's quicker. I have direct experience with both approaches
So I just starts chat, tell them what happens, and they send me an rma and get back to me later?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga