Phantom 4 Controller Will Not Fully Charge

Reaction score
Has anyone had any resolved controller battery charging issues? My controller doesn't like to get to a full charge now, usually shuts off about 60-70% charge.

I see a handful of complaints about this, but no resolution. Possible fixes include reseting the controller itself. I've tried to reset using the C-1, C-2, shutter scroll wheel etc but I don't think I've actually successfully did the reset.

Does anyone know for certain how to reset a Phantom 4 controller? Short of sending the transmitter in for repair, I'd like to try this one last step before doing so.

Thanks everyone!

Pretty sure resetting the controller will not solve your battery charging issues unless you have problems with the controller functions. If your batteries are charging fine, then you may have a problem with the actual RC battery. If the unit is still under warranty, maybe try that.

Thanks for that input, this issue appears to have developed after recent upgrade to controller firmware ver 1.8.0. Before I jump through the DHI repair hoops, I'd like to make sure that a reset won't work, if that makes any sense. On another forum thread, that was suggested by someone with DJI, but the key sequence doesn't seem to work properly with the P4 controller, was hoping someone was in the know here.

Thanks for that input, this issue appears to have developed after recent upgrade to controller firmware ver 1.8.0. Before I jump through the DHI repair hoops, I'd like to make sure that a reset won't work, if that makes any sense. On another forum thread, that was suggested by someone with DJI, but the key sequence doesn't seem to work properly with the P4 controller, was hoping someone was in the know here.
Yeah sorry if I am not adding any value but I am running the latest firmware for both the AC and RC (1.8) and have had no problems on iOS. If your batteries are fully charging and your RC is not, you can either try and run the RC battery down to say 1 light on the RC and charge up fully or you may have a battery issue. As far as the firmware, with 60/70% charge, you would be good for at least 4 battery runs with the quad. Any issues with the firmware for the RC would soon be evident with range, signal or other abnormal things occuring when flying. There are some very smart people in this forum and hopefully they can correct me and help you.

Yeah sorry if I am not adding any value but I am running the latest firmware for both the AC and RC (1.8) and have had no problems on iOS. If your batteries are fully charging and your RC is not, you can either try and run the RC battery down to say 1 light on the RC and charge up fully or you may have a battery issue. As far as the firmware, with 60/70% charge, you would be good for at least 4 battery runs with the quad. Any issues with the firmware for the RC would soon be evident with range, signal or other abnormal things occuring when flying. There are some very smart people in this forum and hopefully they can correct me and help you.

Thanks for the guidance..I think there's something wrong with the charging circuit I, which probably doesn't have much bearing on the controller's overall performance, which I'm seeing none of. The reset function probably won't help, but at least I can cross that off my list as I continue down this road. Good idea to run the controller all the way down and see what happens.

A bit of an old thread I am afraid, but I just realized that my P4 RC also displays the same - it charges to 60% and then it stops charging more. A bummer really, as returning it to DJI to fix the problem will most likely cost me the rest of the (short) Swedish summer without a drone to fly... so I might just wait until after the summer and send it in then. 60% should last for at least 4-5 normal flights anyway.

A bit of an old thread I am afraid, but I just realized that my P4 RC also displays the same - it charges to 60% and then it stops charging more. A bummer really, as returning it to DJI to fix the problem will most likely cost me the rest of the (short) Swedish summer without a drone to fly... so I might just wait until after the summer and send it in then. 60% should last for at least 4-5 normal flights anyway.

Just started happening to me to! [emoji35]

I've run into the same problem. If there is anyone out there who is handy with a o-scope or volt meter that could help me randomly hunt for the issue I would very thankful!

So I guess there as been no progress on this. I ended up buying a cheap broken remote and while the antenna on it does not work, it will fully charge my remote battery. It's my only option right now to have a working remote.

So I guess there as been no progress on this. I ended up buying a cheap broken remote and while the antenna on it does not work, it will fully charge my remote battery. It's my only option right now to have a working remote.

I've not seen any new progress unless sending it in is progress.

A possible solution is to leave it plugged in for a few days (no lights). I had the same problems but my controller seems to trickle charge to full after a few days.

Now that you've been able to charge your RC to 100%, after using it a few times does it charge to 100% again normally? Meaning you don't need to leave it plugged in for a few days to do get the full charge?

Now that you've been able to charge your RC to 100%, after using it a few times does it charge to 100% again normally? Meaning you don't need to leave it plugged in for a few days to do get the full charge?
Still need to trickle charge. However, I haven't reverted to an older version of the controller firmware. I may try that next...

I have sent my controller in to DJI for a warranty "repair," since my controller battery would not charge at all. Still under warranty, I am expecting UPS today with what DJI calls a "replacement." (been at DJI for 3 weeks.) It's got to be possible to find the voltage the controller needs, (since a new controller battery is made of unobtainium), and hook, (or solder), in a battery to the controller, (if warranty is not an issue). Although I have not taken this (P-4) controller apart, this must be possible!

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance..I think there's something wrong with the charging circuit I, which probably doesn't have much bearing on the controller's overall performance, which I'm seeing none of. The reset function probably won't help, but at least I can cross that off my list as I continue down this road. Good idea to run the controller all the way down and see what happens.

My controller starts beeping the battery low warning as soon as I turn it on, it also won't charge completely. I let mine beep until the controller was dead, then recharged, no change. Was hoping to find the fix on here

Has anyone had any resolved controller battery charging issues? My controller doesn't like to get to a full charge now, usually shuts off about 60-70% charge.

I see a handful of complaints about this, but no resolution. Possible fixes include reseting the controller itself. I've tried to reset using the C-1, C-2, shutter scroll wheel etc but I don't think I've actually successfully did the reset.

Does anyone know for certain how to reset a Phantom 4 controller? Short of sending the transmitter in for repair, I'd like to try this one last step before doing so.

Thanks everyone!
I just purchased a refurbished unit from DJI and my controller is doing the same thing, Any fixes?

Exactly the same path I was on, identical symptom. They allegedly "fixed" it, charged me for a battery replacement (out of warranty due to antenna mod.) They actually sent me a new controller, minus my antenna mod. Now, the replacement controller is doing exactly the same thing. I'm suspecting something deeper wrong here, especially seeing all the other reports of the same issue, with a replacement that is exhibiting the same thing.

It's time for DJI to come up with some other reason for the charging failure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj