Phantom 4 Blades NOT FINISHED EFFICIENTLY

Speaking of blades
Whats a good replacement set and is anyone using carbon ones ?
cheers Marty

Oh boy here we go again... :) to balance or not to balance... pity we don't have any empirical trials for this... "seems" faster, more responsive - ok. Like when I put my carbon props on, "seems" more responsive - but I can't be sure.

I hand catch all the time... if you want to fly in Hawaii you had better learn to do this...

Oh boy here we go again... :) to balance or not to balance... pity we don't have any empirical trials for this... "seems" faster, more responsive - ok. Like when I put my carbon props on, "seems" more responsive - but I can't be sure.

I hand catch all the time... if you want to fly in Hawaii you had better learn to do this...

Sorry to be off topic, but can you elaborate? My decision to get into drones was just to capture photos in Maui. My Brother lives there and I go for a couple months every year. I asked him about them and he says he sees them often. Wanted to get Haleakala pics and some whale pictures. If it's better to pm me please do so. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sorry to be off topic, but can you elaborate? My decision to get into drones was just to capture photos in Maui. My Brother lives there and I go for a couple months every year. I asked him about them and he says he sees them often. Wanted to get Haleakala pics and some whale pictures. If it's better to pm me please do so. Thx.

I assume you are referring to the "hand capture"... Hawaii is a wonderful place to fly but there are a few caveats...

1. Be real careful about privacy issues... even though I have been high enough to be obscure and not able to make out faces - just passing over on my way to a sight... I have had people shoot at my bird... more than once. There is a lot of pakalolo grown here and guys are super protective... can't blame them as I have been told that "rippers" are using drones to spot crops then come back and harvest.

2. Ours are volcanic islands - if you have visited here you know how gnarly that lava can be specially the a'a lava that is very knobby and jagged... our birds do not come back and land exactly where they took off... can be off a number of feet... so if you take off from a relatively smooth level spot and use RTH or auto land you could land back right on top of a pointy chunk of a'a and it will take it';s toll on the gimbal... not to mention a "tip over"... much safer to "hand catch" - I would also invest in a gimbal guard... just in case...

3. Flying a UAV in a national park without a waiver I think is illegal - see this article: Drone operator chased, tased by ranger at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

Hope this helps any more questions let me know...

Reactions: David Cooke
I assume you are referring to the "hand capture"... Hawaii is a wonderful place to fly but there are a few caveats...

1. Be real careful about privacy issues... even though I have been high enough to be obscure and not able to make out faces - just passing over on my way to a sight... I have had people shoot at my bird... more than once. There is a lot of pakalolo grown here and guys are super protective... can't blame them as I have been told that "rippers" are using drones to spot crops then come back and harvest.

2. Ours are volcanic islands - if you have visited here you know how gnarly that lava can be specially the a'a lava that is very knobby and jagged... our birds do not come back and land exactly where they took off... can be off a number of feet... so if you take off from a relatively smooth level spot and use RTH or auto land you could land back right on top of a pointy chunk of a'a and it will take it';s toll on the gimbal... not to mention a "tip over"... much safer to "hand catch" - I would also invest in a gimbal guard... just in case...

3. Flying a UAV in a national park without a waiver I think is illegal - see this article: Drone operator chased, tased by ranger at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

Hope this helps any more questions let me know...

Holy Crap! . . that's a bit brutal. . . . bit of an over reaction . . . or maybe "Thirst for Power" . . by the size of the drone I'd say there was little serious risk to public safety that warranted such a reaction . . . over maybe just filing an incident report with a description of the "perpetrator".

I think the rangers here in Canadian Parks just carry a bull horn and a camera. That way Officer Obie can take " . . .27 8x10 colored glossy photos with circles and arrows . . and a paragraph on the back of each one, explainin' what each one was, to be used as evidence against him.
They take pictures of the approach, the getaway, the northwest corner, the Southwest corner . . .
And that's not to mention the aerial photography . . . from the captured done! . . ."

Reactions: PunaPhantom
Holy Crap! . . that's a bit brutal. . . . bit of an over reaction . . . or maybe "Thirst for Power" . . by the size of the drone I'd say there was little serious risk to public safety that warranted such a reaction . . . over maybe just filing an incident report with a description of the "perpetrator".

I think the rangers here in Canadian Parks just carry a bull horn and a camera. That way Officer Obie can take " . . .27 8x10 colored glossy photos with circles and arrows . . and a paragraph on the back of each one, explainin' what each one was, to be used as evidence against him.
They take pictures of the approach, the getaway, the northwest corner, the Southwest corner . . .
And that's not to mention the aerial photography . . . from the captured done! . . ."
A 3-inch micro quadcopter drone deserves a tasing?
Shooting down regular drones?
It's the Wild West in Hawaii! :eek:

Reactions: FlashBuddy

:) Yeah little different reactions down here in the USa - and with ahole coming in will just get worse. Would like to thank your PM for offering open arms to political refugees from here to you. (Down here they treat everything like a freakin' terrorist invasion, have you seen the way they are treating the peaceful protestors at the Dakota Pipeline...

OK! Well lets get back to the trailing edge of our props. What I do is a bit red neck but works great. First you need a nail clipper, then cut your nails, then run the fresh cut nail along the edges of your props and the fine edge will disappear and you will have a supper smooth edge. Leave a nail uncut for final polish. This way you will feel that any irregularities are gone. How did I start doing this? after reading this post I ran my finger on my props and there was an edge, mmm so I ran my finger nail and the edge went bye bye and ended with a clean edge on all my props in 4 minutes.

OK! Well lets get back to the trailing edge of our props. What I do is a bit red neck but works great. First you need a nail clipper, then cut your nails, then run the fresh cut nail along the edges of your props and the fine edge will disappear and you will have a supper smooth edge. Leave a nail uncut for final polish. This way you will feel that any irregularities are gone. How did I start doing this? after reading this post I ran my finger on my props and there was an edge, mmm so I ran my finger nail and the edge went bye bye and ended with a clean edge on all my props in 4 minutes.
Just tried it, since I had already cut my nails earlier this evening. Works great. Eager to see if I can tell any difference. Sure can't hurt! :cool:

Reactions: Erised
I haven't had the same experience you guys have... just checked my supply of (unopened) props I keep in my "kit" - all are glassy smooth - and even the edges are clean and without "burrs"

Could it be that you have "knock off" props. The counterfeit market is very adept at imitating the real thing... Gucci Bags, Nike, hell even Rolex's... Often wondered about this when you see props in unmarked bags. Would have thought that DJI would be all over them.

Or... One or two (or more) of their molds are defective - in which case I wonder if they are aware of this.

I haven't had the same experience you guys have... just checked my supply of (unopened) props I keep in my "kit" - all are glassy smooth - and even the edges are clean and without "burrs"

Could it be that you have "knock off" props. The counterfeit market is very adept at imitating the real thing... Gucci Bags, Nike, hell even Rolex's... Often wondered about this when you see props in unmarked bags. Would have thought that DJI would be all over them.

Or... One or two (or more) of their molds are defective - in which case I wonder if they are aware of this.
Mine came in the box with the bird. The weren't nearly as bad as the OP's, but I could feel a few light burrs when running my fingernail over the back sides. They have 100 flights on them, so could be just from handling.

Not sure if it's just me, but my P3 seems way more quiet than my P4 in flight. I just flexed both props and the P3 seems more flexible.
Even my neighbor who has a P3 mentioned the noise level differences. The funny thing is that the P3 blades have a ton of battle scars since I fly that one close to trees and fences. Wonder if the materials are different in the two blades?

I just checked my new unused spare props that came in the box with my P4 and the edges have very few burrs. My props have over 2,500,000 feet on them and like GadgetGuy says the nicks in our case are probably from handling, also transporting around loose in a case doesn't help.
Mine came in the box with the bird. The weren't nearly as bad as the OP's, but I could feel a few light burrs when running my fingernail over the back sides. They have 100 flights on them, so could be just from handling.

Just got a P4Pro and the props that came with it AND the spares I bought all have a slight burr on them... not so with my P3 props...

Just got a P4Pro and the props that came with it AND the spares I bought all have a slight burr on them
A burr on the edges? If it bothers you, then lightly sand the edge. See more details about that here.

A burr on the edges? If it bothers you, then lightly sand the edge. See more details about that here.
Thx... yeah little further up on this thread we were talking about this... and I said I never experienced it with my P3 props... now I got P4P and the props do indeed have a slight burr. Also had a discussion on another board about the sound difference between my P3A and P4P distinctly different prop sound and the P4P has a whistle... I initially thought this was a defect and asked around... the whistle apparently is common. (Maybe the burr??? - will smooth off and see if difference)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub