Phantom 4 Blades NOT FINISHED EFFICIENTLY

Oh, you haven't heard about my list. I'm takin' names and there will be no mercy! Hey, I just received my DJI Phantom 4 9450s Quick-release propellers. There IS a slight ridge on the training edge. I'll sand that down, but probably will use 220 grit.

Just me, but I'd use only 400 440 or better . . . Always wanted to be listed as sane . . . have you got THAT list?

Last edited:
Reactions: jhax01
Enough to know that "lift" is everything
And when they pay at the pump for fuel, they know that reduced drag means less $$ for fill ups.

Good observation there. I just sanded mine. Will have to go out and test.

I don't think UPS has waxed an airframe since before I retired!

AD (Class of 88)

A polymer would have similar characteristics to a wax dynamics wise. And the aircraft's skin does benefit from having that process done but with cost-effectiveness not in the "Bottom line" window could be omitted.Keeping the skin clean would be enough in that large scale operation. However, when it comes to props, waxing,polishing,balancing the practice is in the cost effectiveness window.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Not a BATH really . . . more like a SHOWER isn't it? . . with some soap on a rope!

That would be much easier David.

Usually it's a wash crew of 4 to 6 guys with long handle brushes per aircraft, working off two high-lift platforms. The airframe belly and landing gear get the most attention, since it gets the dirtiest. It does get really grungy and takes the most effort to scrub off the grime.

It's not a quick job either. A 767-300ER usually takes about 6 hours to complete.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: David Cooke
That would be much easier David.

Usually it's a wash crew of 4 to 6 guys with long handle brushes per aircraft, working off two high-lift platforms. The airframe belly and landing gear get the most attention, since it gets the dirtiest. It does get really grungy and takes the most effort to scrub off the grime.

It's not a quick job either. A 767-300ER usually takes about 6 hours to complete.

So more like a "scrub a dub dub" then . . . but I'm getting REALLY off topic here, so have have found any difference in trimming that rough trailing edge stuff?

So more like a "scrub a dub dub" then . . . but I'm getting REALLY off topic here, so have have found any difference in trimming that rough trailing edge stuff?

Yeah, I got off-topic myself.....sorry.

I've sanded my props a bit while balancing them, but haven't waxed them. May try that. I wonder if a clear coat paint sealer would work also?......but that might un-balance my balance efforts. Geez. [emoji30]

Reactions: David Cooke
Yeah, I got off-topic myself.....sorry.

I've sanded my props a bit while balancing them, but haven't waxed them. May try that. I wonder if a clear coat paint sealer would work also?......but that might un-balance my balance efforts. Geez. [emoji30]

Yea . . I'd avoid anything that sprays unless you can wipe off to a consistent depth . . because its so hard to spray really evenly. I think I'm just going to buff them with a small dremel polisher and that way no added surface. That plastic is already pretty slick so a light buffing with just polishing compound if anything, might be worth a try. Honestly, I think by this time we are really splitting hairs for any added value. Just cleaning up the training edge roughness was enough for me.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yea . . I'd avoid anything that sprays unless you can wipe off to a consistent depth . . because its so hard to spray really evenly. I think I'm just going to buff them with a small dremel polisher and that way no added surface. That plastic is already pretty slick so a light buffing with just polishing compound if anything, might be worth a try. Honestly, I think by this time we are really splitting hairs for any added value. Just cleaning up the training edge roughness was enough for me.

Yep, but this is an innovative bunch here, and they'll try anything.....which is a good thing really. Any improvement on design and function is ok by me too. Who knows what we'll see next.

OK. Folks, just remember any ridge or deflection on an airfoil surface will create lift either negative or positive and the creation of lift creates drag that must be overcome by an increase in power. Be it flaps, control surfaces or tiny trim tabs on control surfaces. By smoothing any airfoil you will decrease drag ever so slightly. This principle is what keeps aircraft from colliding when flying in formation. Any use of control surfaces will create drag and cause you to pass behind the adjoining forward aircraft in a staggered diamond formation unless there is a application of additional power. This only applies to the aircraft flying about 45 degrees to the rear of the lead aircraft. Abrupt movement by the lead aircraft can cause all kinds of problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues