Phantom 3 Standard Range issues

Is that the "lets do it together" one? If so I've followed it from the start out of interest. If you're confident with programming then it may be worth a go, but, there's been a few bricked remotes!! Also, what happens when they release a new fw? Will it undo all the settings that have been changed and have to learn how to do it all over again?? I'd imagine, as that has been a hugely popular post, DJI will have most likely seen it and will shut the door!! I've debated doing it myself, but the thought of f**king it up and probably invalidating the guarantee scares me too much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm a computing teacher so fairly happy with the programming side of it. I think most of the issues have been ironed out now but I'm waiting for a clear video or something of how to do it and I'll just follow that.

Not sure what a firmware update will do but then again you don't have to update the firmware. I normally fly with litchi so I don't get nagged with firmware update info.

Like I said before, personally, if I wanted to fly over a mile away, I'd have gone advanced, but 300-500m is enough for me at this stage. If it all takes off well and I do as much as I hope I will, then will possibly go Inspire 1 next or sell the standard to my stepson and go Advanced/pro. There seems to be a huge variance in standard ranges, but unless you get 3-5 together in the same place/conditions and really test range, everyone will be getting different experiences, like 200m in the sticks and 1.3km for others, different countries, CE/FCC etc. There's really no clear benchmark

Well that trumps my argument lol. I would be interested in what a real person with knowledge can do. Be interested to hear how you get on.

How do you find litchi? I've thought about it, but like DJI Go app quite a lot. Do you need both apps or can you just use litchi?

So had it out last night in a big open area where I could see for miles. Got 680m before I go a return to home. Then stuck a windsurfer that I made on it and got 800m in the same direction before I got a rth. There was a wee tree that might have been interfering a bit so I sent it the other way and got just over 1000m before I bottled it and brought it back. Think everything is OK with my bird!

Reactions: unklodie
That's brilliant Dave!! I think my true test will be in a few weeks when we come up to Balnain. Looks like huge open spaces up there. May even brave a flight over Ness!!! #monsterspotter!!

It really is an amazing piece of kit. I built a F550 hexacopter with a pixhawk flight controller last year and flying the phantom is like flying a toy compared to that, and I mean that in a good way, it's so easy! That's not to say that pixhawk is a bad system, it's very good but the phantom is just child's play! I've not hit the RTH before so it was good to test that out.

I think you'll be fine up here in the summer, if you really have problem just flick the left switch a few times and you'll get a RTH. I would just set the RTH height at a reasonable level. I have quite a lot of tall trees around where I live and fly so I've set mine to 80m just to avoid any issues with trees on bits of land that are a bit higher than my take off point.

Can't wait to get up there tbh. Never been!!

How do you rate litchi over Go? Reading lots about it, but apart from waypoints (which I'm not that interested in at the moment) how can I justify the £20 +in app purchases?? Better signal? Better range?

The waypoints on their own are worth the £20 I reckon. You've spent hundreds on a drone, add £20 to make it significantly better. It's just easier to use to do the stuff you want to do. Flying a mission first and setting up waypoints that way...! Forget it! I understand the rationale but if you're not able to plan a mission without flying into something then don't think you should have a drone. I've not had to do any in app purchases, didn't think there was anything else to buy, everything seems to work on the app as is. I don't use the go app and can't see my going back to it any time soon unless I'm going to do a firmware update.

Hi Dave, ok so downloaded Litchi and am beginning to play with it. Couple of questions you may be able to answer....
1) best channel to use or stick to auto?
2) can you preview or download images/footage within litchi like you can in DJI Go?

Thanks

Andy

1. I stick with auto, I'm not convinced it changes the channel but I've not played much with that.

2. Don't think so but again haven't played much. Let me know if you find out if you can do that.

Best answer I got was "when finished flying, close litchi, open GO and download from there. "

Just flew with Litchi....impressive!!! Deleted the GO app from my Tablet as it apparently conflicts with litchi. Still got it on my phone just for FW and footage downloads. Not done waypoints yet but the tracking function is bloody good!!!

I've struggled to get tracking working. What did you track and what phone / tablet were you using?

I was tracking my stepdaughter on her skateboard. In a park, she did have a pink coat on though, however I did have a play with it on a table and told it to track my foot, gimbal moved with my movements. In the park I let the app track while I flew alongside which was really intuitive. It was pretty good, but did lose her when she went a little further away.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy tab S2 8" running android 5.0. Seemed pretty good all in all. It's quite a powerful device built to compete with iPad mini 4 I like it as it's got a real nice screen and is really lightweight so doesn't feel to cumbersome on the controller.

There is an app to increase the dbi of the controller and Phantom 3 to 27 dbi, you can find it there >>
The Magic power by Fadjar Hamidi - Jogjasky
There is a tutorial also it's quite simple.. Cheers ..
Use at your own risk .. It worked for me .. I think its more oriented for EU users who have more restrictive FCC limitations ..

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers