Phantom 3 Standard Argtek Mod + Thoughs

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm relatively new to droning though not to the remote control world itself. I just signed up, give or take 40 minutes ago, as I found this site fairly interesting and active. With school out and summertime in session before the dreaded college application, I thought I'd give my Phantom 3 Standard a try. With 5 batteries, I thought I'd be good to go until just yesterday I tried it out in my suburban city park. Drone chops out its feed at around 900 or so feet even with relatively good clearance so I found myself very limited with the same old same old. A bit snooping around, I found these two modifications for an extended range:
- BluePhoton Argtek Range Extender
- ITE LITE Phantom 3 Standard Range Extender

The latter being more expensive than the first, I went the Argtek route even after hearing mixed reviews. Popped it on Amazon on Saturday, and got it Monday (today). The installation was very quick - roughly 15 or so minutes -, but thank goodness the factory silicon for the wirings came clean off with the stock wires. Popped 3 wires on with the satisfying clicks, adhered the wires with some hot glue, and used the 2 flat 2.4 and 1 long 5.8 for the first.

2 Flat 1 Long Results:
Pretty stable all around the range for around 2000-3000 feet radius and the video feed was very good with little lags.

Then I tried a distance test.

2 Flat 2.4 Ghz and 1 Flat 5.8 Ghz
This one got me an average of 3000-5000 in my location with 91% humidity and cloudy skies. I was impressed. My maximum flight length for today was 5,622 feet! Crazy good for where I am - though I had to maintain a straight line with the tx and drone. But for a $280 Manufacturer Refurb drone, I am mighty happy with the results and more than I'll ever need. Here is an attached screenshot of this run:
aCOSrhD.jpg

For a $45 upgrade from Amazon that more than 4x to 5x my stock range (900-1000 feet to 4000-5000) on a consistent level, I'd say this Phantom 3 Standard range extender is wicked smaht and wicked good. Was kind of suspicious of the product due to the bad reviews and people on here saying they only got 900 feet more or were able to only go 1000-2000 feet, but I'm glad the installation was wicked easy, quick, and rewarding.

Any tips on a more mods/configurations to my Phantom 3 Standard will be appreciated - Peace Out

Hello there, I'm relatively new to droning though not to the remote control world itself. I just signed up, give or take 40 minutes ago, as I found this site fairly interesting and active. With school out and summertime in session before the dreaded college application, I thought I'd give my Phantom 3 Standard a try. With 5 batteries, I thought I'd be good to go until just yesterday I tried it out in my suburban city park. Drone chops out its feed at around 900 or so feet even with relatively good clearance so I found myself very limited with the same old same old. A bit snooping around, I found these two modifications for an extended range:
- BluePhoton Argtek Range Extender
- ITE LITE Phantom 3 Standard Range Extender

The latter being more expensive than the first, I went the Argtek route even after hearing mixed reviews. Popped it on Amazon on Saturday, and got it Monday (today). The installation was very quick - roughly 15 or so minutes -, but thank goodness the factory silicon for the wirings came clean off with the stock wires. Popped 3 wires on with the satisfying clicks, adhered the wires with some hot glue, and used the 2 flat 2.4 and 1 long 5.8 for the first.

2 Flat 1 Long Results:
Pretty stable all around the range for around 2000-3000 feet radius and the video feed was very good with little lags.

Then I tried a distance test.

2 Flat 2.4 Ghz and 1 Flat 5.8 Ghz
This one got me an average of 3000-5000 in my location with 91% humidity and cloudy skies. I was impressed. My maximum flight length for today was 5,622 feet! Crazy good for where I am - though I had to maintain a straight line with the tx and drone. But for a $280 Manufacturer Refurb drone, I am mighty happy with the results and more than I'll ever need. Here is an attached screenshot of this run:
aCOSrhD.jpg

For a $45 upgrade from Amazon that more than 4x to 5x my stock range (900-1000 feet to 4000-5000) on a consistent level, I'd say this Phantom 3 Standard range extender is wicked smaht and wicked good. Was kind of suspicious of the product due to the bad reviews and people on here saying they only got 900 feet more or were able to only go 1000-2000 feet, but I'm glad the installation was wicked easy, quick, and rewarding.

Any tips on a more mods/configurations to my Phantom 3 Standard will be appreciated - Peace Out

I'm considering buying and installing this argtek mod on my own P3S. Factory refurb like yours. Although I wish I paid what you did. Bought mine on Amazon for $360. Still not as bad as the $500-$700 price for a new one. None the less it's by far my favorite drone so far. Definitely puts the image quality, range, and battery life of my Sky Viper v2450gps, and Holy Stone HS100 to shame. Although it is a great drone, like yourself I'm now considering range mods. I'm torn between the omnidirectional argtek mod and a dbs mod. I understand the end mod will give me longer range than argtek, however I don't know I want to attempt aiming it at a drone 3miles away. Was your argtek mods omnidirectional range consistent without having to aim the array at the drone? If so it sounds like the better option. I don't think the dbs mod will be worth the additional 2 miles of range if it has to be aimed precisely at the drone. Seems difficult at 3 miles away when the quadcopter would be almost if not completely invisible. Any thoughts? I'm curious if you are truly happy with the argtek and if so, what is your best and most consistent range? What are your complaints with it? If any?

Hi. You should always point the remote at the drone no matter what - even with the omnidirectional antenna! I'd say the difference between the flat panel and the omnidirectional is really how much closer you need to be pointing the remote to the drone. As for me, I've gotten used to always just facing the drone and my rough estimate has been fairly accurate. Now for the DBS ITELITE mod, I hear that thing goes super far out, though I'm not sure of how much you really need to get the transmitter aligned with the drone. Honestly, though, I am really happy with what I'm getting on the Argtek mod and this is without any buyer's remorse because I don't have any!

P.S
I have been using the flat panel waaaayy more than the omnidirectional so my opinion might be slightly biased towards flat panel, but I'll definitely try the omnidirectional antennae and keep you posted on it.

Hi. You should always point the remote at the drone no matter what - even with the omnidirectional antenna! I'd say the difference between the flat panel and the omnidirectional is really how much closer you need to be pointing the remote to the drone. As for me, I've gotten used to always just facing the drone and my rough estimate has been fairly accurate. Now for the DBS ITELITE mod, I hear that thing goes super far out, though I'm not sure of how much you really need to get the transmitter aligned with the drone. Honestly, though, I am really happy with what I'm getting on the Argtek mod and this is without any buyer's remorse because I don't have any!

P.S
I have been using the flat panel waaaayy more than the omnidirectional so my opinion might be slightly biased towards flat panel, but I'll definitely try the omnidirectional antennae and keep you posted on it.
Referring to the part about dbs,do you know if you have to point the antenna precisely at the drone,even at short distances?

Any flat plate antenna for best should be facing the item its transmitting / receiving ....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj