Phantom 3 Professional Fly Away

Just sent off the forms and Data, in any case hopefully it will help everyone if there is any useful data for future updates if there is an issue.
Hopefully if it isn't user error then a mutually beneficial option is reached :)

You have a wonderful attitude, I'm I'm sure they will take care of you.

Reactions: mikesher
be careful, most concrete has tons of rebar. This is one of the hardest thing to do while flying at places like CES or NAB. Finding a good spot between the metal in the concrete so we can safely take off.
Good to know... I had 4 successful flights taking-off from a marina (concrete) dock loaded with yachts this past weekend. Hovered to check things, then went up to 150' to get past any interference from the sailboat masts before venturing out. Guess there is no re-bar in the dock, but I was worried about interference from the yachts.

I'm getting my p3p on Friday. I've flown my p2+ for over a year. Should we be taking off in altitude then switching to gps after hover for 1min? Just trying to follow best practices

I wouldn't take off in ATTI mode ( I suspect you do that to avoid GPS tipping you over at 0 alt).

GPS mode
CSC to start motors
idle a bit to ensure no issues
stab the throttle to "jump" you off the ground and up to 3 or 4 feet...
hover for a bit

go have fun

...but that's just how a n00b like me would do it.

I wouldn't take off in ATTI mode ( I suspect you do that to avoid GPS tipping you over at 0 alt).

GPS mode
CSC to start motors
hover for a bit

go have fun

Why not auto takeoff?

Why not auto takeoff?

There's just no reason for it really....

...I'll even follow that with an "in my opinion".

Not saying it's wrong to do so....just not necessary I suppose...

EDIT: I'll even add, if you are going to fly around in altitude mode, then sure, take off in it as well.

But if it's a gps mode flight? why take off in atti?

GPS mode
CSC to start motors
hover for a bit

go have fun

What I do but I jump up out of VPS range, maybe 15-20ft then do a stable hover for a minute or more to check things out. I don't want VPS going cray cray on me low and over grass or some other non-VPS optimal surface.

There's just no reason for it really....

...I'll even follow that with an "in my opinion".

Not saying it's wrong to do so....just not necessary I suppose...

EDIT: I'll even add, if you are going to fly around in altitude mode, then sure, take off in it as well.

But if it's a gps mode flight? why take off in atti?
I see no reason to take off in atti.

However in my opinion whenever you do a CSC you risk doing something stupid with the sticks, and that's why I just click and swipe now.

Edit: no reason to take off in atti if you can use GPS

Reactions: Motorotor
Here's my CSV from the first flight (thanks for uploading your .TXT!). There is a ton of crazy stuff going on in here, including:
  • Altitude values are all over the place. At one point the Phantom thinks it's 600 meters underground.
  • Pitch and roll are insane. About 1/4 of the way into the flight the roll in degrees goes all the way up to 180 degrees, then wraps around to -180 degrees. For much of the flight it's stuck at -115.8 degrees.
  • The yaw is way off. The quad rotates hundreds of degrees without any rudder input.
  • The controller is constantly complaining about SPEED_ERROR_LARGE and COMPASS_ERROR_LARGE.
This looks way worse than just concrete rebars or bad compass calibrations - this looks like a faulty IMU or even flight controller. I'm amazed the quad survived the first flight, it must have been completely uncontrollable. I don't think a faulty compass on its own could cause all of this, the accel or gyros must have been way off.

It all looks very similar to the classic NAZA and Phantom fly-aways of yore. I guess DJI hasn't fixed whatever bug or hardware issue causes those, after all.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2015-06-01_[18-47-41].txt.Comprehensive.csv.txt
    386.5 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: Apparition
I see no reason to take off in atti.

However in my opinion whenever you do a CSC you risk doing something stupid with the sticks, and that's why I just click and swipe now.

Edit: no reason to take off in atti if you can use GPS

haahaa! I read that as why no atti take off....LOL

* changes prescription*

I'm sorry, let me try that again...

Hmm why no auto.

I dunno' just used to flying RC with sticks and not buttons? I guess...

I see your point about a slip of the thumb, but because I idle for a bit, I prolly' let go after CSC.

I don't have near the knowledge that a lot of posters have passed on, but I had some similar compass problems this past weekend. I was in a park that was a bit flooded and started setting up my Phantom on a steel picnic table. Right away I caught myself and moved it to a grassy area. Because the IMU started warming up on the table I got compass errors and MC cable errors when it was on the grass (Maybe someone could explain why the MC error occurs. I couldn't find much on it.). It took a few times of turning everything off and back on before the errors cleared. The main thing I'm realizing is that the P3 is very sensitive in regards to the compass. When I calibrated the compass my first time I had to remove everything metal on me to get it to calibrate. I had an FC40 and calibration was much less sensitive.
My guess is you're going to have a high risk of compass error once the P3 gets in the air if you took off by metal.

Reactions: snowghost
haahaa! I read that as why no atti take off....LOL

* changes prescription*

I'm sorry, let me try that again...

Hmm why no auto.

I dunno' just used to flying RC with sticks and not buttons? I guess...

I see your point about a slip of the thumb, but because I idle for a bit, I prolly' let go after CSC.
All good, confused me for a bit. Was just thinking you should say CSC or auto. To each their own.

be careful, most concrete has tons of rebar. This is one of the hardest thing to do while flying at places like CES or NAB. Finding a good spot between the metal in the concrete so we can safely take off.

Should help to launch from the case if no other way to avoid the concrete.

Here's my CSV from the first flight (thanks for uploading your .TXT!). There is a ton of crazy stuff going on in here, including:
  • Altitude values are all over the place. At one point the Phantom thinks it's 600 meters underground.
  • Pitch and roll are insane. About 1/4 of the way into the flight the roll in degrees goes all the way up to 180 degrees, then wraps around to -180 degrees. For much of the flight it's stuck at -115.8 degrees.
  • The yaw is way off. The quad rotates hundreds of degrees without any rudder input.
  • The controller is constantly complaining about SPEED_ERROR_LARGE and COMPASS_ERROR_LARGE.
This looks way worse than just concrete rebars or bad compass calibrations - this looks like a faulty IMU or even flight controller. I'm amazed the quad survived the first flight, it must have been completely uncontrollable. I don't think a faulty compass on its own could cause all of this, the accel or gyros must have been way off.

It all looks very similar to the classic NAZA and Phantom fly-aways of yore. I guess DJI hasn't fixed whatever bug or hardware issue causes those, after all.

has any quadcopter company fixed the fly away? when was the bird IMU calibrated?

I use an app on my phone that gives me the total field for the phone's magnetometer using a sum of squares algorithm.
I raise and lower the phone being careful to hold it in exactly the same orientation the whole time. If the value changes too much, I know there's a local field and move elsewhere.
Could you please share the name of the app, sounds like something that could come in useful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT