Phantom 3 Professional Fly Away

Blade, I would ask you to look at DJI web site video that basically says take it out of the box and fly it over the ocean, this is so not true. You have to update it, Bin root, root bin,,,, then God forbid you are in flight and stick the sticks in opposite corners the power shuts off, with all the fail safes, battery low, out of range, and the bird's self preservation it will still fall from the sky.
In the manual it tells you that if you put the sticks in opposite corners the motors would shut off. Seems like somebody is a little upset that they didn't read their manual.

I forgot to add this yesterday. :oops:

I most likely forgot the stuff I wanted to point out about it. Anyway, I tried to clean it up a little compared to the original.

I will say the compass reading is dead on, or very close to it. I consider myself to be above average in knowing how to use dashware. And this video was tricky to do to because the visuals in the video with what you see an the display on the compass reading were really strange in this vid. The compass reading....is the actual direction in which the P3 is pointing, which is most parts of the video is totally different then what the camera and gimbal are doing.

The gauge I used in this video is my favorite. On the graphs each display what the P3 has done or is going to do. With them going down or spiking upward you some idea what is coming in the video. Also on the far left is the mapping display and the top is North, bottom is South, and so on. When you see the compass reading pointing at the North, look at the mapping display and the P3 will be pointing or traveling to the top.

At the end I added slow-motion to better show things that are hard to see in real time. Example, I noticed the props on the front of this P3 were working at similar speeds. At no time was either of the two not rotating.

After watching the video and looking over the data it's my opinion that the P3 had a compass error. The crash itself was likely due to repeatedly being switched between GPS and Atti modes which of coarse corrupted the flight. Most have no idea the kind of adrenalin rush you experience when you see your craft doing something it shouldn't be doing. Then knowing it is over a large body of water would only add to the fear.

Good to know... I had 4 successful flights taking-off from a marina (concrete) dock loaded with yachts this past weekend. Hovered to check things, then went up to 150' to get past any interference from the sailboat masts before venturing out. Guess there is no re-bar in the dock, but I was worried about interference from the yachts.

The yachts would most likely have alumimium masts and are mostly made of figreglass these days - the motors may contain ferrous material though...

Last edited:
What's that gauge called? Also, where can I find it if it is not included with the standard gauges that DashWare is equipped with?

Thanks

As time goes on you'll most likely see several gauges you haven't seen before. The software and the dashware website were both setup where members could share with each other. At 1st we had to pay for them. The gauge I used is called Glass. I have changed it a lot from it's original form.

I am now really curious why this particular fly away has so much attention, is it the first major one for a P3 owner here or what?

I had a near crash with my p3p when I had a compass error mid flight, how it happens I don't know but it scared the crap out of me. Luckily I was high enough not to slam into anything as it flew off west at full speed, flipped the switch to atti mode which I've never used and got her back.. I could see how it could be unrecoverable even in atti mode , it fought back the inputs I was putting in till the error went away.. Needless to say I'm a little weary to fly her now.

I am now really curious why this particular fly away has so much attention, is it the first major one for a P3 owner here or what?

It has to do with the data and video. That brings a completely different element to it.

Btw, these threads can be weird how they do & don't go anywhere at times. I have seen some threads that should have had a lot of exposure and end up with very little.
I'm a data viewing freak so I enjoy having the abilities we now have and the amount of it. To me this hobby is finally getting to where I would have liked to have seen it when the actual Phantom 1st came out.

I had a near crash with my p3p when I had a compass error mid flight, how it happens I don't know but it scared the crap out of me. Luckily I was high enough not to slam into anything as it flew off west at full speed, flipped the switch to atti mode which I've never used and got her back.. I could see how it could be unrecoverable even in atti mode , it fought back the inputs I was putting in till the error went away.. Needless to say I'm a little weary to fly her now.

You do not have to switch to ATTI.. it degrades for you to atti for you. Once error is clear it will automatically switch back into gps.

Reactions: cmyk22
I forgot to add this yesterday. :oops:

I most likely forgot the stuff I wanted to point out about it. Anyway, I tried to clean it up a little compared to the original.

I will say the compass reading is dead on, or very close to it. I consider myself to be above average in knowing how to use dashware. And this video was tricky to do to because the visuals in the video with what you see an the display on the compass reading were really strange in this vid. The compass reading....is the actual direction in which the P3 is pointing, which is most parts of the video is totally different then what the camera and gimbal are doing.

The gauge I used in this video is my favorite. On the graphs each display what the P3 has done or is going to do. With them going down or spiking upward you some idea what is coming in the video. Also on the far left is the mapping display and the top is North, bottom is South, and so on. When you see the compass reading pointing at the North, look at the mapping display and the P3 will be pointing or traveling to the top.

At the end I added slow-motion to better show things that are hard to see in real time. Example, I noticed the props on the front of this P3 were working at similar speeds. At no time was either of the two not rotating.

After watching the video and looking over the data it's my opinion that the P3 had a compass error. The crash itself was likely due to repeatedly being switched between GPS and Atti modes which of coarse corrupted the flight. Most have no idea the kind of adrenalin rush you experience when you see your craft doing something it shouldn't be doing. Then knowing it is over a large body of water would only add to the fear.

Nice Work!

I had my P3A for two weeks and now it's at dji for repairs. Read the thread on phantom 3 malfunction and crash. At least three of us had the same situation happened to our drone which resulted in crashes. Theirs videos posted as well. I really think there are some serious issues with software integration going on with the P3's

Nice!! The precise GPS coordinates for your diver are:

longitude: -119.2806123
latitude: 50.21080714

https://www.google.com/maps/place/50°12'38.9"N+119°16'50.2"W/@50.2105646,-119.2804494,86m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0!6m1!1e1

It's about 100-150 feet off the shore.
Lol perfect! thanks,
I offered $250 to try and find it, $500 if they do.

I'm a little OCD about this. Id like to know what happened before I fly my next one if its more practice I need, hardware error, or software (in which case it could happen to others or my next one).
Hopefully the Data will be useful to DJI and all of us

Reactions: CloudsNeverDie
I had my P3A for two weeks and now it's at dji for repairs. Read the thread on phantom 3 malfunction and crash. At least three of us had the same situation happened to our drone which resulted in crashes. Theirs videos posted as well. I really think there are some serious issues with software integration going on with the P3's

I'll check it out, maybe there are some similarities with compass errors or something in the log files.
the P3 is a new product, would be nice if we can find some constants for patching if possible.

If we are unsure of what is below our take off point, can we check real time compass and mod settings in the app and determine if it's a potential issue? This could eliminate a lot of concern

Lol perfect! thanks,
I offered $250 to try and find it, $500 if they do.

I'm a little OCD about this. Id like to know what happened before I fly my next one if its more practice I need, hardware error, or software (in which case it could happen to others or my next one).
Hopefully the Data will be useful to DJI and all of us

Curious if you will be able to dry it out and extract the .DAT file from the P3. Is that area fresh or salt water? Looks like fresh water according to the map.

I asked Blade yesterday, if DJI would share the cause of this crash once they have of the Data analyzed and it was a complete ignore.. Exactly what i expected..

I know how you feel as I have experienced not all but more then I care to remember crashes and near crashes.

I beta testing a app for one of the members on here and watched my quad drop from the sky twice in one day. The 2nd time resulted in a complete loss. So I then waited for the P3 to arrive and when it came it took about 10 flights before I would even fly it beyond my back yard. The last thing I wanted was to be without my quad and then having to deal with lies and who knows what else with the manufacturer.

I do want to say though that DJI has really done things so much better this time around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119