Phantom 3 Professional Fly Away

Blade strike, if you have contact with DJI R&D, this would be a great opportunity to suggest to them that they start sending raw IMU data (gyro, accelerometer), raw compass data, and motor outputs, in the telemetry stream. If we had that data available in the .TXT files, we would have a much better idea of what happened here. The .DAT files have that and they're a great addition, but if you crash in water, they are lost...

Already made that suggestion.

Is no one else wondering about the sonic sensor error, all most every crash we have seen so far has thrown this error and has been either over water or an uneven surface. Could it be playing a part and making the craft try to correct itself when it gets bad data, i don't know a lot about this subject before many try shoot me down with flames, i only know the ss error has happened first so far with all most every crash if not all. Just saying it might be worth some thought that's all.

Incorrect. Slightly bad horizon is normal.

It may be normal to have a very small amount of it but it's still coming from IMU and/or compass data. When it is really off as it is here, it is sign that the IMU and/or compass (most likely compass) is sending bad data.

Is no one else wondering about the sonic sensor error, all most every crash we have seen so far has thrown this error and has been either over water or an uneven surface. Could it be playing a part and making the craft try to correct itself when it gets bad data, i don't know a lot about this subject before many try shoot me down with flames, i only know the ss error has happened first so far with all most every crash if not all. Just saying it might be worth some thought that's all.

Please review the spec's on the device. I think some of you think it has more capabilities than it truly does.

It may be normal to have a very small amount of it but it's still coming from IMU and/or compass data. When it is really off as it is here, it is sign that the IMU and/or compass (most likely compass) is sending bad data.
Incorrect. This amount of horizon drift is normal.

Guys at this point the data needs to go to dji. All this talk is speculation at this point and is counter productive.

My question still hasn't been answered though, why would you go over water that fast after the first crash. This just doesn't make any sense to me? You really didn't even test the bird. You just B lined it at full throttle....

Reactions: isopro
Customers expect these things to just work. It's DJI's job to make that possible. Your perfectionistic founder is right to be so perfectionistic. DJI: The Future of Possible.

No i was just wondering if this error first on nearly every crash was playing a part that's all.

As you stated you had one and didn't notice anything with the crafts control, correct?

Guys at this point the data needs to go to dji. All this talk is speculation at this point and is counter productive.

Agreed.

My question still hasn't been answered though, why would you go over water that fast after the first crash. This just doesn't make any sense to me? You really didn't even test the bird. You just B lined it at full throttle....

I'm sure he's probably kicking himself for it!

Reactions: blade strike
Guys at this point the data needs to go to dji. All this talk is speculation at this point and is counter productive.....
But....but....that's every thread on this forum....speculation....speculation with the added "I've talked with blah blah" "it's coming, watch out" etc

Reactions: Jstic
Customers expect these things to just work. It's DJI's job to make that possible. Your perfectionistic founder is right to be so perfectionistic. DJI: The Future of Possible.

And they do just work. Failures do happen though. Unfortunately when failures happen in the air things can go bad to worse in a blink of an eye.

The horizon was way off beforehand. Symptom of bad compass data.

Horizon being off is normal for a P3 camera to be fair ;-) and would that be bad compass data as that is heading which is a different axis, if anything its IMU or Gimbal calibration surely?

And they do just work. Failures do happen though. Unfortunately when failures happen in the air things can go bad to worse in a blink of an eye.
Failures do happen but they shouldn't happen! If this really was an impact then that's fair enough, not much anyone can do about that. But if it's a software error, or a compass error, DJI needs to fix the bug, add a second backup compass or add some other failsafe to avoid these happening in the future. This flyaway looks very similar to the dozens of NAZA fly-aways that have plagued DJI for years. DJI has made leaps and bounds of progress over the last 2 years, and I congratulate you guys for that (truly amazing stuff, really), but I hope your perfectionistic founder is having some difficult conversations with software and hardware team leaders right now about the unacceptability of failures like this. The Future of Possible should not include "mishaps" like this one. It's bad for your brand. Accel Partners wouldn't be happy to hear about it. Just my 2c.

I find it very odd that the video ends before it hits the water (if it ever did). It's not like the water will kill everything instantly. There are quite many frames shot in 1 second and we don't see a single water frame.

I hate my inner troll sensors.

The compass doesn't just provide heading information (X,Y). It provides a vector to the ground (Z) which is used by the P3 and the gimbal. This is why every TBE video on Youtube shows both bird and gimbal heavily tilted.

1~2 degrees. Normal. >3 degrees. Not normal and indicative of fused data error. The video in question was 8 degrees off before 0:39.

One other thought, if that is fresh water do you have a local diving school or club as someone else on this forum or the dji forum paid a guy to go retrieve a downed Phantom.

I guess it seemed like a challenge!

Failures do happen but they shouldn't happen! If this really was an impact then that's fair enough, not much anyone can do about that. But if it's a software error, or a compass error, DJI needs to fix the bug, add a second backup compass or add some other failsafe to avoid these happening in the future. This flyaway looks very similar to the dozens of NAZA fly-aways that have plagued DJI for years. DJI has made leaps and bounds of progress over the last 2 years, and I congratulate you guys for that (truly amazing stuff, really), but I hope your perfectionistic founder is having some difficult conversations with software and hardware team leaders right now about the unacceptability of failures like this. The Future of Possible should not include "mishaps" like this one. It's bad for your brand. Accel Partners wouldn't be happy to hear about it. Just my 2c.

To state failures shouldn't happen is correct but like I said we're not there yet. Military aircraft have failures.. To build these things with redundant systems and have that type of failure rate would require the system to be built to military spec. But like I just posted they even have failures.

I do think some expect more than what a $1k device can do.

At this point we dont know if a compass calibration was done, we dont know if the craft had damage from the first crash.. So many unknowns.

As you stated you had one and didn't notice anything with the crafts control, correct?

No it wasn't a ss error i had, it was just the compass flicking it into P atti. Not trying to argue with you saying it is the ss error that is to blame tho, and you are the last person i would try debate any P3 issue with as i know you know your onions when it comes to the P3. I was just pointing out that this error has been thrown on nearly every crash that's all, and wondered if it had played a part. Its probably not, but im sure if the NTSB were looking into these crashes they would look at this. Again not pointing a finger at it, it was just a thought of possibility.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl