Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering if you guys think that the MARS mini is worth installing incase of emergency motor failure or other situations on the phantom 3 Advanced.
Heres a link to what I'm looking at: Mars MINI | Mars Parachutes
please let me know your thoughts, or alternatives to this system.
Regards

"As with anything in life, please be aware that any system, no matter how well designed, will have limitations. In the case of all MARS parachute recovery systems, please be 100% aware that these systems are designed to reduce the fall speed of your aircraft by a massive margin, bringing your aircraft home safely with the least amount of damage to the aircraft or equipment. However, even with proper parachute deployment, aircraft damage can occur, so please be aware that even with a parachute recovery system, damage can occur upon touchdown."

So it may work, but you may be replacing your gimbal too. I don't know if the technology to automatically deploy a chute due to a craft failure or crash is ready yet. With an accident at 10 meters, is there enough time to even slow it down to protect it? Do you need one on the top and bottom?

Jimmy

It looks promising, but haven't found statistics on minimum height to deploy fully. Anyone seen such information?

Also, does anyone have any idea on the impact it would bring to the stability of a drone in flight, given you're putting added weight on a single side of the drone?

DJI made their own version of a parachute, the DropSafe. I wonder what ever happened to that?

dropsafe_led.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
The mayday option for autonomous deployment is now available. Go to Mars parachute for details

Update: I thought it was already to go. I'm told it will be ready in November

Last edited:
Mayday is a good device but I am little bit confused about automatic deployment. In case of wind or copter problems it may suddenly eject the parachute. There's some kind of manual ejection from alternative RC, those guys demonstrate on video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As time goes by many more options will become available with manual and auto deployment. I like auto deployment as some times the drone may be out of view. Reaction times will be critical in manual operation. Though both will work after identifying and working out the bugs. I like the idea of landing upside down to protect the camera. Thanks for sharing.

As time goes by many more options will become available with manual and auto deployment. I like auto deployment as some times the drone may be out of view. Reaction times will be critical in manual operation. Though both will work after identifying and working out the bugs. I like the idea of landing upside down to protect the camera. Thanks for sharing.
I didn't see a camera on that one-- may not be enough space for it to operate with the gimbal

Please watch what happened to me. Careful with the Mayday auto device. I suggest you to buy the manual trigger. later on mayday board maker confirmed that it was the improper calibration of the mayday board. that caused the malfunction.
After two weeks of repairing. Yesterday the distributor informed me...the test flight was not good and later found out the mother board of the drone is broken. one of the main chip is broken...now..its not repairable. i think, i have to wait for another month for this issue finally over...my drone is dead..needs a new one...but that is life...we will die soon...

Last edited:

Careful with mayday board. I suggest buy the manual trigger.

Hi everyone… After more than 3 weeks..yesterday finally my stress was over. The distributor of the mayday board in Santiago, Chile gave a me a new Phantom 3 Advance and also installed mars but this time I requested the manual trigger. He was a good friend of mine and he decided to give me the whole package for free. He refused to take any money from me… I am very pleased with the distributor who act fast and did the right thing.

So right now the parachute system has caused more 'crashes' that it has mitigated ;).

Hope you never have to even the score. :)

So right now the parachute system has caused more 'crashes' that it has mitigated ;).

Hope you never have to even the score. :)
Tks but this time I m using the manual trigger device. Which it never will deploy the parachute with me pulling the trigger. All the best to u.

The video clearly showed the quad doing well in flight wow. Then I saw the chute hanging. False trip?

Perhaps vibration or voltage sag in flight. A voltage sag will impact sensing thresholds. Need to monitor sags of a typical drone. However if it us that then the control needs to be set to accommodate all models it's supposed to support.

Just food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The video clearly showed the quad doing well in flight wow. Then I saw the chute hanging. False trip?

Perhaps vibration or voltage sag in flight. A voltage sag will impact sensing thresholds. Need to monitor sags of a typical drone. However if it us that then the control needs to be set to accommodate all models it's supposed to support.

Just food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
It was later found that some improper calibration of the mayday board. It prematurely deployed the parachute. The battery n the drone was doing fine. I have installed new Mars but with manual trigger. I m in control when to deploy the parachute. Tks

Tks but this time I m using the manual trigger device. Which it never will deploy the parachute with me pulling the trigger. All the best to u.
I'm thinking of getting a mars parachute but don't want the worry of it auto deploying so how do you wire up a manual trigger ?

Do I still need that mayday device ? if so can auto deployment be turned off ?

Many thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic