phantom 3 indoor flying

Reaction score
Do I only have to use switch on rc to fly indoors without GPS so it doesn't RTH? I noticed the GPS would come and go in my house. I want to turn off GPS and RTH so it doesn't fly up at ceiling or is that manual and how to do it?

I've been flying in the house because it's been raining everyday. The wind is nuts. It's like a leaf blower. After seeing all the dust I kicked up I'm thinking about letting the maid go. The key is not to get close to any walls or the ceiling. If you do it will suck the craft closer and you are doomed. I know this from the little micro quads and heli's I fly indoors. There is some pucker factor but if you're good on the sticks the P3 is very stable.

Last edited:
Walk and always stay behind the phantom when indoors. This helps with orientation. If you get disorientated just for a sec, esp in narrow spaces, the props will eat the wall. Also, if the phantom sucks into the ceiling, stay calm and DO NOT CSC. Just slowly drop the throttle (this may not work with the P3 due to the angled props).

Reactions: gfredrone
So what's the answer for first question?
I guess, the point is, if once GPS is enabled in a house (say at the window side) for a moment, then disabled, P3 automatically activates RTH - but "A" mode also kill the optical flow camera, so how to kill only GPS - ?
My guess is, 1. RTH don't be activated within 20m (?) from the home point, so she won't fly up (unless your house has > 20m window side space), 2. start your P3 at where GPS signal is unavailable, then no home point recorded so RTH don't work.
I still don't get my P3 so somebody please test.

Yea basically how to fly indoors by purposely turning off GPS. Also, would switching back and forth between GPS signal and no GPS (green to yellow) initiate a RTH.

I really want to learn about flying indoors. Anyone seen a tutorial on Youtube. Just not sure on what settings and since satellites are not good inside what setting do I set it at?

I've flown indoor with the standard settings. ( the same settings that I also take outdoor to fly)
I had less than 4 satellites during the flight , so I flown on ATT-mode)
See this video :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I've flown indoor with the standard settings. ( the same settings that I also take outdoor to fly)
I had less than 4 satellites during the flight , so I flown on ATT-mode)
See this video :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great video on flying indoors. Can you give exact settings I would do to fly indoors. I just get the hee bee jeebies flying without locked in GPS. thanks!

No specials settings, I flow on ATT-mode (P-mode) , because indoor you cannot receive satellites.
Because I flow higher than 3 meters VPS had no use.

VPS is disabled in Atti Mode. I left mine in P-Mode and had a few satellites indoors. Flew in a very confined space. Used Auto Takeoff as well.

Switch the P3 to ATTI mode to disable GPS and VPS before you start up. The P3 will behave normally and use the barometer to maintain altitude, and will self level with no issue. Try it outdoors in nil wind first to get a handle on things. It's not as foreign as you may think.

Reactions: Ronald
No worries, it's like normal but with no auto-brakes! After you try it in nil wind, try it will a light breeze and watch it slide away once airborne. That'll teach you to bank or pitch into wind to maintain a given ground position [emoji4]

Brett- just to be clear- first we have to enable Multi-mode in the app settings?
Then put selector on ?which position- on RC before powering up P3?
- and this locks it in ATTI mode?

And this is the mode to use indoors?
Reason I ask is that I've been asked to do some shooting durning a dance performance rehearsal and once I heard that VPS is only good for 15' ( 3m) I thought it wasn't possible.
But if I can safely fly it in ATTI mode indoors with obviously no wind, I may try it.
But I'd practice in empty theater first...

Or- is there a better mode to use for this?

I'm cornfused...if the Phantom loses GPS, that will trigger RTH? How can it RTH without GPS to guide it? In case you can't tell, I'm a complete noob- don't get my bird until (hopefully) Thursday.

Reactions: Fly Girl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic