phantom 3 indoor flying

I'm cornfused...if the Phantom loses GPS, that will trigger RTH? How can it RTH without GPS to guide it?
It will only RTH if the remote controller signal is lost or the battery is low. If the Phantom is connected to less than 6 satellites at that time, it'll land at its current location.

It will only RTH if the remote controller signal is lost or the battery is low. If the Phantom is connected to less than 6 satellites at that time, it'll land at its current location.
I was under the impression that it would go into ATTI mode after losing GPS signal?

I've flown indoor with the standard settings. ( the same settings that I also take outdoor to fly)
I had less than 4 satellites during the flight , so I flown on ATT-mode)
See this video :
Very nice shooting. I bet the priest was a little worried. A church that I renovated was droned and MSGR was wringing his hands the whole time. I did not do the shoot.

I'm cornfused...if the Phantom loses GPS, that will trigger RTH? How can it RTH without GPS to guide it? In case you can't tell, I'm a complete noob- don't get my bird until (hopefully) Thursday.
Losing GPS does NOT trigger RTH.... only loss of transmitter signal will trigger RTH

Last edited:
So when flying indoors it's best to fly in Atti mode?
I know GPS is weak or non existing inside but flying in P mode still allows VPS to work right? Atti mode shuts off the VPS and GPS so it's like flying any other quadcopter, it still holds altitude but drifts. I'm just trying to get the most out of VPS I mean that's what it's built in for.
I too was amazed at how much of a mess it made when I flew inside for the first time lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have test flown the P3P in the house many times. I fly it on P mode. It picks up and drops GPS while flying and never triggers RTH. RTM on the limitations of VPS before you do. I fly over a carpet with the VPS on and I am amazed at the rock steady hover of the Quad.
It is explained on page 11 of the manual under Aircraft, Flight Mode.

Last edited:
So when flying indoors it's best to fly in Atti mode?
I know GPS is weak or non existing inside but flying in P mode still allows VPS to work right?
It depends. If you're going to be flying mostly over 10 feet, then fly in A-mode. If you're going to fly mostly below 10 feet, then fly in P-mode so you can use VPS.

Yeah, loosing GPS does NOT trigger a failsafe RTH! However a loss of RC signal would, unless using correct indoor mode as responders have said! Enjoy!

Oh okay got it. I don't have a user manual bc I bought it used from a private seller.

Anyone know how the P3 would handle inside of a huge Industrial size warehouse...100,000 SF to over a Million + SF? Should RC Switch be on P or A? Any thoughts would be great!

I fly in arenas frequently . If the floor has a pattern and you fly 3M altitude or less, VPS will work so stay in P mode. Without satellites it will use VPS( if it's turned on in the menu) and ATTI on it's own.
If the floor is not patterned eg. ice in an arena or you fly over 3M( sometimes work a bit above that spec), VPS may actually cause instability so switch from P mode to A mode.
If the building is wood and shingle roof, GPS may actually work.
If it's metal your likely to have compass issues.

Reactions: HawkeyeImaging
The surface is concrete, new so probably a little glossy inside the warehouse to start. I believe a metal roof as this is an industrial warehouse. I believe its going to be a Home Depot Distribution center. Very high ceilings so I'm gonna need to fly up about 30 to 40 feet and get some shots. So I'm guessing ATTI mode and VPS off is gonna be the best bet, that and very very slow stick movements. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have mapped this building (3D & ortho) and the property, but have not been inside. The client asked me.if this is something I could do as well. I told them.I would researsh the saftey of doing this indoors and let them know.

VPS is disabled in Atti Mode ???

It does not make sense, DJI presented VPS as an asistent to fly indors, but if the only mode to fly indors is Att mode how can you use VPS ?

Hawkeye, I've done this many times. Keep your distance from the roof trusses. I get a small drift I believe because the compass is not accurate.
One thing is if the building is positive pressure and a door is opened the pressure change may affect the baro sensor and you get a little up/down movement.
If your comfortable flying ATTI outdoors in a wind you should be able to fly indoors.
Your mileage may vary, so test on your own. That's what I did in the beginning. GL

Reactions: HawkeyeImaging

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20