Phantom 3 drone down

Another thought, the mission was a long one, the best I got from a P3 battery was about 21 minutes. Did it run out if battery? And it was set to hover. Where would that point be? Sooooo many options.

"158 page"

158 page ?
or
Page 158 ?

I was asking for a Post# not a Page#

The page answer would be 9

The post# would be 158

I'm thinking that @sar104 has already gave the information on that post #158

Rod

Reactions: kmckinnon
Great, thank you sir

OK - this is the flight altitude AGL computed from the mission profile and the elevation profile of the ground track. As you can see, it's mostly well over 100 ft except for the vicinity of WP11 - WP12 and, of course, WP16. Now you need to compare to your estimate of tree heights along that path.

litchi_agl.png

OK - this is the flight altitude AGL computed from the mission profile and the elevation profile of the ground track. As you can see, it's mostly well over 100 ft except for the vicinity of WP11 - WP12 and, of course, WP16. Now you need to compare to your estimate of tree heights along that path.

View attachment 93180
Great info to have there SAR! What did you use to compute this? I did it manually by going along the route in GE, but yours is much cleaner.

On a side note, I see you're in Los Alamos... I lived in Albuquerque for 27 years before moving to the beach (Panama City Beach) and loved that area up in LA. Still got friends there. I miss it some days still.

@rickatom

Are still looking, I was working on a post yesterday same time as now and I got frustrated from your posts.

I really had the feeling that you were not following our suggestions or wasn't going back and re-reading everything that had been posted to you on this thread.

When I get frustrated trying to help someone, I try to test their knowledge, not intelligence, just what they may not understand. Then us that want to help, can give you directional tips. ;)

Anyways, your answers were to me that maybe I was correct that you are not or was not following links that we are referring to.

If any of the we's or us's disagree with me please post it.

My goal is help who I can, and loosing a Phantom really Sucks!

Done it, July 28th 2015, I still want to find it.

Rod

@rickatom

Are still looking, I was working on a post yesterday same time as now and I got frustrated from your posts.

I really had the feeling that you were not following our suggestions or wasn't going back and re-reading everything that had been posted to you on this thread.

When I get frustrated trying to help someone, I try to test their knowledge, not intelligence, just what they may not understand. Then us that want to help, can give you directional tips. ;)

Anyways, your answers were to me that maybe I was correct that you are not or was not following links that we are referring to.

If any of the we's or us's disagree with me please post it.

My goal is help who I can, and loosing a Phantom really Sucks!

Done it, July 28th 2015, I still want to find it.

Rod
Yes sir, I am doing my best to follow and understand. Still sorta new at this. I love the graph stuff. To me logic is to physically go to points 11 to 12. Not far from my house.

Reactions: RodPad
Great info to have there SAR! What did you use to compute this? I did it manually by going along the route in GE, but yours is much cleaner.

On a side note, I see you're in Los Alamos... I lived in Albuquerque for 27 years before moving to the beach (Panama City Beach) and loved that area up in LA. Still got friends there. I miss it some days still.

There's actually no simple way that I know of to automate altitude AGL estimation along a defined track, but I can describe the method I use in case it is of interest to anyone or, even better, if anyone can suggest a more efficient method.

Litchi exports a kml file that defines track points at the mission waypoints (plus 4 extra track points per waypoint to define each curved turn). For the current example that looks like this:

litchi_profile_01.png

We can extract the lat/long pairs from the sparse output, import them into Igor Pro, and run a custom function to create cumulative distance for each waypoint. The kml file also gives altitude AGL at each track point, based on Litchi's DEM and the mission waypoint altitudes above the take off point, so now we have lat/long/distance/altitude AGL values, but it has no information about altitude AGL between the track points, and so the values are only correct at those track points:

litchi_profile_02.png

GE can display a continuous, interpolated, altitude MSL profile for this track, and you can also clamp it to ground to get a continuous ground elevation profile MSL under the track, but it will not display the difference and you cannot export the data, so that's a dead end in terms of trying to generate the flight altitude AGL resolved across the entire track.

However, we can use the GPSVisualizer website tool to apply a DEM that discards the altitude data, creating a second file that has ground elevations MSL rather than flight altitude.

litchi_profile_03.png

Now we have two data files, one describing the flight path altitude AGL and another describing the ground track altitude MSL under the flight path, but only at the sparse waypoints that define the mission. If we add these datasets then we can reconstruct the mission altitudes MSL at the mission exported track points:

litchi_profile_04.png

Note that it looks approximately as expected, since all but one mission waypoint had identical altitudes above the takeoff point. The variation, which is of the order of a couple of meters, is due to differences in the DEM used by Litchi vs. the DEM used in this calculation.

The linear interpolation of the flight altitude MSL is usable, since that is how Litchi flies the mission. That's not so for the ground track elevation data however, since the ground does not behave like that in general between mission waypoints. It would be great if GPSVisualizer could take such a track defined by sparse track points and create an elevation profile at an arbitrary spatial resolution, but it will not do that - it only returns elevation data at the input track points.

To get around that problem, we can take the lat/long/distance/flight altitude MSL data and run a linear interpolation scheme to produce new values at equal distance intervals. In this case I created 1000 interpolated triplets giving a uniform spatial resolution of approximately 5 meters:

litchi_profile_05.png

litchi_profile_06.png

Processing those track points again using GPSVisualizer's DEM also generates a much higher resolution ground elevation profile:

litchi_profile_07.png

Now we can subtract the high-resolution ground elevation profile from the flight altitude MSL profile to get a high-resolution flight altitude AGL profile:

litchi_profile_08.png

Comparing this to the second graph that shows only flight altitude AGL at the exported track points illustrates the reason for generating the higher resolution ground profile.

The Los Alamos area has suffered from three major wildfires in the last 20 years, and so it looks a bit different these days. Still a pretty nice place though, plus the continuing benefits of having one of the top National Labs in town. Although this winter has started unprecedentedly warm and dry - basically no snowfall so far. Same with Albuquerque - I think it is at over 90 days with no precipitation.

The Los Alamos area has suffered from three major wildfires in the last 20 years, and so it looks a bit different these days. Still a pretty nice place though, plus the continuing benefits of having one of the top National Labs in town. Although this winter has started unprecedentedly warm and dry - basically no snowfall so far. Same with Albuquerque - I think it is at over 90 days with no precipitation.
With all these great graphs and extra effort, I just have to find it. I will check between wp 11 and 12

Yeah, I was there for Cerro Grande, we left in Sept of 2010... it was a shame to see all the devastation and destroyed homes. Our friends had the outside side of their fence charred by CG, but they were lucky otherwise. We went over 90 days HERE this fall with no measurable precipitation also...

@sar104
Holy Smokes Man!

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

There's actually no simple way that I know of to automate altitude AGL estimation along a defined track, but I can describe the method I use in case it is of interest to anyone or, even better, if anyone can suggest a more efficient method.

Litchi exports a kml file that defines track points at the mission waypoints (plus 4 extra track points per waypoint to define each curved turn). For the current example that looks like this:

View attachment 93214

We can extract the lat/long pairs from the sparse output, import them into Igor Pro, and run a custom function to create cumulative distance for each waypoint. The kml file also gives altitude AGL at each track point, based on Litchi's DEM and the mission waypoint altitudes above the take off point, so now we have lat/long/distance/altitude AGL values, but it has no information about altitude AGL between the track points, and so the values are only correct at those track points:

View attachment 93215

GE can display a continuous, interpolated, altitude MSL profile for this track, and you can also clamp it to ground to get a continuous ground elevation profile MSL under the track, but it will not display the difference and you cannot export the data, so that's a dead end in terms of trying to generate the flight altitude AGL resolved across the entire track.

However, we can use the GPSVisualizer website tool to apply a DEM that discards the altitude data, creating a second file that has ground elevations MSL rather than flight altitude.

View attachment 93216

Now we have two data files, one describing the flight path altitude AGL and another describing the ground track altitude MSL under the flight path, but only at the sparse waypoints that define the mission. If we add these datasets then we can reconstruct the mission altitudes MSL at the mission exported track points:

View attachment 93217

Note that it looks approximately as expected, since all but one mission waypoint had identical altitudes above the takeoff point. The variation, which is of the order of a couple of meters, is due to differences in the DEM used by Litchi vs. the DEM used in this calculation.

The linear interpolation of the flight altitude MSL is usable, since that is how Litchi flies the mission. That's not so for the ground track elevation data however, since the ground does not behave like that in general between mission waypoints. It would be great if GPSVisualizer could take such a track defined by sparse track points and create an elevation profile at an arbitrary spatial resolution, but it will not do that - it only returns elevation data at the input track points.

To get around that problem, we can take the lat/long/distance/flight altitude MSL data and run a linear interpolation scheme to produce new values at equal distance intervals. In this case I created 1000 interpolated triplets giving a uniform spatial resolution of approximately 5 meters:

View attachment 93218

View attachment 93219

Processing those track points again using GPSVisualizer's DEM also generates a much higher resolution ground elevation profile:

View attachment 93220

Now we can subtract the high-resolution ground elevation profile from the flight altitude MSL profile to get a high-resolution flight altitude AGL profile:

View attachment 93221

Comparing this to the second graph that shows only flight altitude AGL at the exported track points illustrates the reason for generating the higher resolution ground profile.

WOW! Danged impressive work SAR! It has taken me almost all this time to review and digest it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures