phantom 3 crash. How can I fix?

Reaction score
Hey guys had a small crash.
As you can see in the pictures the part of the gimbal that slides from side to side snapped off. The drone still works fine. And I'm sure the camera still works fine. It was not a long drop at all. Maybe 8 or so feet.

So I'm curious. What can I do to fix this? I know I just need a new connector and ribbon cable?

Anybody know how much it might cost, or is it an easy fix?. Thanks guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,245
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,095
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,973
Since spare parts are not available yet, you're either going to have to wait until they are released or send your Phantom to DJI to get it fixed.

At the moment there won't be any spares available, not even a complete camera unit.
The ribbon cable is obviously broken and replacing that alone will require expert attention for most users (if the part were available)

So options are:
Send it in for repair, expect at least 6 weeks waiting.
Or.
Buy another similar unit or perhaps a cheaper P2 unit to keep you busy until more spares are out .

You could remove the gimbal altogether and stick a gopro on the bottom.
Many of the features which make the P3 so good will be missing though.

They cost around 1/2 of what the quad cost, and are less then what they use to cost.

Was the crash an error on your part?

The current consensus seems to be part it out to recover as much as you can, the gimbal is massively expensive, as parts aren't available people like your self are desperate for parts but the gimbal its self it the most wanted :(

As you can see in the pictures the part of the gimbal that slides from side to side snapped off. The drone still works fine. And I'm sure the camera still works fine. It was not a long drop at all. Maybe 8 or so feet.

So I'm curious. What can I do to fix this? I know I just need a new connector and ribbon cable?

Sorry about your crash, here's a thread that might give you some options, you're not the first one to break the camera off!

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/enough-to-make-a-grown-man-cry-broken-gimbal-p3pro.49051/

My phantom 3 just shut off during flight and fell out of the sky at around 120' I sent it in for warranty repair (if the honor it) I have the flight logs and recorded my screen during the flight. If it were not for warranty I have no idea what I would have done.... Heavy damage, something just under the top shell was sparking and smoking, including broken off camera. In my case it's possibly a total loss. Anything small I would surely fix myself.

Just saw an listing on eBay for this part. Can't link to it now, just search p3 gimbal parts.
They have the ribbon cable too.
A superior replacement as its made of aircraft grade aluminum. Believe they offer installation as well.
Price was around 90$ Hope all goes well with your repair.

Last edited:
Hey guys James from Korea here. Was out on a company picnic today and my boss told me to bring along the P3A. I did it was a great picnic and everyone loved the drone. Even got to go home early! So I think to myself I have two batteries left, lets go flying. Well I did and it was great fun. Blue sky light wind and the sun out so not to chilly. 38% battery and i am heading back in to pack it up. Whats this? A suspension bridge... Oh it would be so cool to fly down the middle. Wait whats this the cables are crossed at odd angles? How did I not see that... oh hello strong wind. (possibly a bird involved couldn't see from the distance) and..... NO SIGNAL. So as i'm in an all out sprint to my drone in a suit and tie and people are wondering what the hell is wrong with me i have visions of it floating down the river... well i make it to the bridge and there it is on the ground no broken legs no broken arms but two props are busted. No biggie I have plenty. Get a bit closer and oooo that camera probably should be attached... snapped off just like everyone elses. Wait where is the battery? I look around. I kid you not SO lucky the battery is on the outside of the guard rail resting on a spot light that lights up the bridge. (climbing over to get it without looking like a jumper was super fun) Another couple centimeters and it would of gone into the river. I had a great day of flying and overall it was fun but man this was a "why... why did you not just fly back you were SO close" kind of moment. In my head I am thinking this thing could be totaled but now seeing here and a few other places that a complete replacement is not always needed just parts to the gimbal. I the body has some scuff marks but and it seems that the body and a bit of a gap where the top and bottom meet like you could snap it back in to place but rather than breaking it more I left it alone. The thing I am worried about is firen the thing back up I was not able to get connected. Possibly some wires came loose? It was only a 2-3 meters off the ground. Took it to the drone shop where I got it (they do small repairs) but they told me that for this that I should do it under warranty and send it to the service center in Seoul. No idea how much at this point but seeing the parts on DJI Korea site I am amazed how cheap this thing is to buy parts for it. I mean I have seen drone parts for a V303 that cost more than the DJI equivalent. I was a bit to pissed at the time to take photos and just wanted to get to the drone store before they closed. Anyway thought I should chime in... oh and yes here is the video up until the last moment where it cut the feed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

yaw arm and new gimbal cable.
assuming everything else works you're looking around $200 to get it back to 100%

Don't send your phantom in, what ever you do. There are tons of companies offering parts and aftermarket parts. Search again, find someone making aftermarket parts, buy a tube of epoxy for metal, but don't send it in.

Don't send your phantom in, what ever you do. There are tons of companies offering parts and aftermarket parts. Search again, find someone making aftermarket parts, buy a tube of epoxy for metal, but don't send it in.
contact @hunch-- he is the resident gimbal expert-- and will probably be glad to give you some free advice and he will fix it if you don't want to fool with it.

I went this route.......
DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Repair Kit - RC Groups

He sells the kit on eBay as well. Even if you get a OEM replacement part the video is a great how to guide.......good luck.[/QUOT
I went this route.......
DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Repair Kit - RC Groups

He sells the kit on eBay as well. Even if you get a OEM replacement part the video is a great how to t he guide.......good luck.
Personnaly, and this is just me, but I didn't get to much out of this video. Too much switching the camera and gimbal around, fiddling with the connections, pressing down on the ribbon with a screwdriver. I watched one where the guy looked like he knew what he was doing. Pressed down the ribbon with a q-tip, handled the gimbal like he had done it before. I'm just sayin, if your gonna make instructional videos on this stuff, they should be right.

My solution would be to find a 3D printed part...usually you can find the gimbal arms on ebay......they are made of plastic... with that said, there are plently of videos on youtube with how to replace the arm....if your ribbon cable isn't broken you can reuse it....You can buy the cables all from amazon...my suggestion is to buy the parts and fix yourself....it'll be cheaper in the end and also you'll get a better understanding of your drone.

Reactions: alokbhargava

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31