Phantom 3 alternatives?

So back to the comparison as I was asked to contribute. I started following the solo videos on YouTube since I'm out of videos to watch on the P3. I saw this one yesterday.
Maybe it's windy there but it doesn't look to me like the solo has near the position holding capability of the P3. From watching the video I'm not sure if it holds its position as well as my P2V+V3 that I had. It is hard to tell though. Also watch when the camera comes back in on the selfie mode, the subjects of the video are off to one side but that could have been Colin as he has his hands on the conrol stick. However other than the gopro the only benefits I see to the solo are the programming but that is something that will come to the P3 it's just a question of how well integrated the features are with the DJI software and their ease of use.

That statement isn't entirely true as the lens can be changed on the GoPro and eliminate the fisheye altogether. Plus there many other features and frame rates that GoPro has that the P3 doesn't have.
Can the P3's camera be taken off and be used for any other purpose? NO!! So then tell us how good is it really.

I own 2 phantoms, never had to take the camera off either one....cant really think of any reason i'd want to....

I own 2 phantoms, never had to take the camera off either one....cant really think of any reason i'd want to....

Well I'm a videographer and the P2 is just another tool as well as the camera and that 's the difference. I can use the GP mounted in my car, under water and in the mall where a large DSLR could be a problem. I not only shoot video I sell it to stock footage agencies. So there's the difference between you and I.

Earlier today I watched a video on 3DR's new Solo quad and there isn't a four bladed quad made by DJI that can compete with it in either performance or warranty for $1000.00 dollars. If your going to say the P3 has 4k without fisheye and the GoPro does your correct but that can be rectified by changing the lens on the GoPro.

Earlier today I watched a video on 3DR's new Solo quad and there isn't a four bladed quad made by DJI that can compete with it in either performance or warranty for $1000.00 dollars.
Can you please post said video?

There is one on this page just above. But here's the link at the NAB show watch the second video.
http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/3d-robotics-new-solo-smart-drone-mesmerizing
I guess performance is subjective. I think the solo is faster but as I posted on the video above that I posted the solo was extremely shaky compared to a phantom, they even crashed it in one scene. The video you reference in your link is their marketing material and may not be a real world representation of the functionality you will get.

I guess performance is subjective. I think the solo is faster but as I posted on the video above that I posted the solo was extremely shaky compared to a phantom, they even crashed it in one scene. The video you reference in your link is their marketing material and may not be a real world representation of the functionality you will get.

And the same goes for DJI Phantoms. They are not as stable as one might think nor have the vision cameras produce marketable video. You being up a so called fact that they had a crash well the threads in this forum are filled DJI failures. An to be truthful their warranty and customer service at DJI sucks big time for a company that claims to be number ONE in the market.

And the same goes for DJI Phantoms. They are not as stable as one might think nor have the vision cameras produce marketable video. You being up a so called fact that they had a crash well the threads in this forum are filled DJI failures. An to be truthful their warranty and customer service at DJI sucks big time for a company that claims to be number ONE in the market.
Nothing is perfect there have been many crashes of the phantom and there will be crashes with the solo but my point was with respect to your comment on performance. My vision+ was much more stable in the air than the Verge video shows of the solo, in my opinion. The Verge video also discusses how 3DR is #3 so if you want to debate who's number 1 and 2 that might be a better conversation. Reality is the Phantoms are the ones everybody is comparing to so they are the benchmark. There are some neat things about the solo but it's not proven anything and especially not that it's a better performer for video's. Competition is a good thing and hopefully it improves the shortcomings of DJI.

As far as warranty goes take for example Ford trucks they offer 3 year 36,000 mile warranty when Ram offers something like 6 year 100,000 miles. There's still a reason why Ford outsells something like 2 or 3 maybe more to 1. Some companies don't need to entice people to buy their product it's not necessarily an indicator that one is more reliable or better than the other it shows more about what is needed to find a competitive advantage to take market share.

Nothing is perfect there have been many crashes of the phantom and there will be crashes with the solo but my point was with respect to your comment on performance. My vision+ was much more stable in the air than the Verge video shows of the solo, in my opinion. The Verge video also discusses how 3DR is #3 so if you want to debate who's number 1 and 2 that might be a better conversation. Reality is the Phantoms are the ones everybody is comparing to so they are the benchmark. There are some neat things about the solo but it's not proven anything and especially not that it's a better performer for video's. Competition is a good thing and hopefully it improves the shortcomings of DJI.

As far as warranty goes take for example Ford trucks they offer 3 year 36,000 mile warranty when Ram offers something like 6 year 100,000 miles. There's still a reason why Ford outsells something like 2 or 3 maybe more to 1. Some companies don't need to entice people to buy their product it's not necessarily an indicator that one is more reliable or better than the other it shows more about what is needed to find a competitive advantage to take market share.

And some companies like DJI do a very poor job in taking care of their customer base. Number 3 isn't bad for an american startup either. Your heart is set on a P3 hope you enjoy it.

It's remarkable the way the Solo is being defended by the anti-DJI crowd as if it was real.
The Solo is a piece of marketing. There's a lot that is just promise.
Has anyone seen reports of real world testing of Solos?

Reactions: Apparition
Defending? Possibly. There does seem to be a lot of people eager to trash the SOLO before it even hits the market. As for me, I've got no allegiance to anyone. More facts, less fanboys. I welcome the competition but only if they can back up their claims with real world performance.

I hope the SOLO delivers. I would like DJI to eat some humble pie. Not because I have a beef with them but because it will make them work harder to earn our business. Then we all win.

I'm extremely interested in the Solo but here in Australia it will cost around $2000 just for the drone and gimbal. That puts it smack on the Phantom 3 Pro which is ready to go without needing an additional camera.
I don't have any experience with 3DR as their previous Iris+ was android only and seems to have been pushed aside for the Solo which is also cheaper than the Iris+
I want a smaller/lighter drone to compliment the Inspire but as the Solo won't release here for possibly 3 months I'll have plenty of time to see how the first reviews of thePhantom 3 come in.
DJI seem to have an issue with their batteries which hopefully is resolved by now but the Inspire launch was really a disaster so it's really amazing that DJI is still considered the best for now.
If the number 2 drone maker is Parrot then I don't see how 3DR could **** it up any more that the two leading manufacturers. The Bebop was delayed and still plagued with problems and is often considered a flying potato. 3DR could have an easy win and if they back up their warranty claims outside of US then I'll probably get their Solo. I believe the GoPro 4+ will be due about 2 months after the Solo comes out in OZ so plenty of time. Maybe the GoPro drone will use 3DR software but cheaper hardware.

So I am a Phantom 2 owner, and i like it. i think its a great bird... overall very happy with it

I am looking at getting a new one and the p3pro sounds quite nice. added range, 4k, etc .

On the market today (i havent looked in about 8 months) is there anything out there (i know about the inspire) that rivals the p3?
Just want to make sure i make the right choice :)
thanks
I think by speculation the Walkera H500 price point value just went down to $999.00 because of the P3. Still not as cool looking but I want performance. Just made that decesion and put my money on a P3.

So i have a pre order in for the solo, but am considering cancelling. or at least getting in a pre order for the p3 also.
*** is there anywhere that i can pre order the p3 and have it day 1??? ****
Some things ive been giving a lot of thought to recently.

*** i know most of this has been said, but again, just rehashing and thinking things out***

1. I love the ability to upgrade a gimbal, or upgrade a go pro etc, however by the time i replace both of those a year or two down the road, I can just buy a new phantom for about the same.
2. As much as I dont want the range on the solo to be an issue, and for 90% of my flying it may not, but when i want to go crazy and take this thing to its limits I do want that option. I was hoping that you could mod the solo radio like you can with the FPLVR stuff, but i dont know if that will happen or not.
3. I really love the open source angle, with optional add ons, but how many will be practical. parachute would be nice, etc. LED may be kind of cool. a 2nd camera maybe?
4. The stale look of the phantoms. I really really dont like the way they look. Its such a stale look. As much as I dont want to admit that, it matters to me. The black solo looks REALLY freakin cool..
5. Support... This cant be understated, 30 day money back guarantee, thats amazing. Auto trouble ticket and full replacement in case of a failure . Why cant DJI do this?

Im really back to 50/50 on this. my pro con list is so squarely down the middle it makes me want to cry for baby Jesus. Help me tiny lord.

For number 5 you get 30 money back buying the P3 from Amazon. Get the P3 now and if the solo still trips your trigger when they release buy it then.

As far as looks I suppose it may matter at 1/2 a mile but at a mile away it probably won't. :p

Reactions: Bigdz
with that said, is there any place that folks KNOW i can make sure i get a p3 on day 1 from amazon, and one of its sources? im hearing its getting scarce for guaranteed day 1 delivery?

edit - will the pilot app work on any ipad? or only certain ones> i have an ipad mini

also, are there modes like cable cam, follow me, orbit, selfie on the p3? and of course they MAY come, but what is there now?

Last edited:
For number 5 you get 30 money back buying the P3 from Amazon. Get the P3 now and if the solo still trips your trigger when they release buy it then.

As far as looks I suppose it may matter at 1/2 a mile but at a mile away it probably won't. :p

I thought Amazon resellers, and most others, required the returned drone to be in unopened unused condition?

I thought Amazon resellers, and most others, required the returned drone to be in unopened unused condition?
I just returned mine a couple weeks ago, bought and fulfilled through Amazon but it was a 3rd party seller. It was in like new condition but had been flown several times. I had purchased the package with extra battery, SD card and reader. I tossed the package for the SD card and just placed it in an envelope for the return.Sent it out the night of the P3 announcement and had the money back on my card by that Saturday. I was about 20 days into the return period. I just realized the other day I didn't send back the orangeish wrapper that was on the controller.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl