Phantom 3 alternatives?

I think his hand held shots are made with the inspire as well, as they are very well stabilised, inside the land rover, that fast on the track....They also show the same colorimetry IMO. I don't think it's a dslr on a steady either, (couldn't shoot the lions this way) And the shakings on a track are probably too importants for a post stabilisation keeping this FOV.... But I was not in the car :)

In a couple of those shots you can see the shadow of someone holding the (turned off) Inspire out the car window to get the shot. It would then seem the motor vibrations hugely affect the video quality, at least on the Inspire.

I thought for a minute I had been reading through RCGoups' P3 vs Solo thread...possibly the same cast of characters....

You can pre-order one for $999 but then you have to spend $400 for the go-pro black + lens change to rid of the fish-eye. By the time you are finished you're into it for $1500-$1600. Haven't looked into the flight spec's so can't comment on flight time and such.
I just bought and installed the non-fisheye lens for my Hero 4 Black. It was $99 plus $20 express shipping from HK.

Last edited:
So I am a Phantom 2 owner, and i like it. i think its a great bird... overall very happy with it

I am looking at getting a new one and the p3pro sounds quite nice. added range, 4k, etc .

On the market today (i havent looked in about 8 months) is there anything out there (i know about the inspire) that rivals the p3?
Just want to make sure i make the right choice :)
thanks
AS mentioned below, the Solo is definite alternative to the P3. I have had a P2 for over a year, and it's great. I have decided against the P3 for now, and am going to try the Solo as they give a no-strings-attached 30-day trial. The GoPro 4 is a camera that is simply better than what the P3 or the Inspire has. I have converted my GoPro lens to a non-fisheye (to the tune of $119), and I love it.

That said, it all depends what you want it for. Personally, my goal is a great platform for video and stills. For sport flying, or just fun flying, then there may be advantages over the Solo, though I don't know what they are.

A word of caution: as with any forum, you will find a lot of debate based on people defending and/or justifying their buying choices or decision to buy. For example, I know people will take exception to me saying the GoPro 4 (or 3+) are better cameras than what the P3 has. All tests, specs, comparisons, etc. show GoPro as the clear winner. So, sift through the responses carefully. Also note that this is a P3 forum, so the majority opinion will lean that way.

Ultimately, I haven't made my final decision, but the Solo is most likely for me, especially now that I've converted my GoPro to a non-fisheye.

I just saw this! The Lily Camera.................]
Definitely an interesting machine.
Not really competing with the P3.
It's in a class of it's own - selfie drones.
Very limited, no controller except for the button/tracking device so you can't send it off into the distance.
Just set it up to 100 ft around whoever has the button. Goes up to 50 ft up.
Two non-gimballed cameras - non-fisheye FOV: 94º
It's waterproof and you launch by tossing it away.
It should sell well at $500

I just saw this! The Lily Camera.................

Pretty cool. Not sure this is the place for that though. Maybe in Off Topic.

Well, I know that it doesn't really compete with the P3P, but the topic is alternatives, so I just threw it out there. Seems like an alternative choice to me! Not for me, as I'm expecting delivery of my P3P in about 3 weeks.

Well, I know that it doesn't really compete with the P3P, but the topic is alternatives, so I just threw it out there. Seems like an alternative choice to me! Not for me, as I'm expecting delivery of my P3P in about 3 weeks.

My mistake, this may be the place for the post.

Crazy cool machine... Can I borrow yours, since you don't want it?:D

Really cool. Throw an go is impressive! Different category for sure but I think it will appeal to a lot of people.

I am suspicious of the video. The video quality is better than I would expect from a digital gimbal.

You just know some idiot is gonna forget to switch it on before tossing it off a bridge :lol

The Cx-20 is a affordable alternative to phantom 3 , the drone comes with a variety of fantastic features. Having a modular open source design makes it easy to mod or upgrade. Adding telemetry to the CX-20 (or any APM based vehicle) adds auto missions which control the copters movement, instant feedback about the copters location and power usage and more. but beware that its more a DIY toy than a plug and play video quadcopter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20