Phantom 3 Advanced CSC control warning???!!!

I have noticed the manual I received with the quad does have the CSC info in it.(attached) I have also noticed in all the succeeding manuals the type is bolder and the warning is now in red. I am sure this was done as many unsuspecting non-copter, pull it out of the box ("idiots") and fly it, have crashed this way. I have also remembered why I don't like posting on blogs/discussion groups. Some people here are very helpful and others are just plain trolls. How does one reply to all messages on a post?

Attachments

• Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf
    386.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf
    386.2 KB · Views: 206
Now you know. Sorry for the loss. It's out there, plenty. Much talk about it here and other sites since June '15.

Your prior RC experience may have hurt you here. Do you have any heli"s? Descending pirouetting flips are not the Phantom's strong point.

SD
Very little Heli experience but flown a few cheap ones.

Very little Heli experience but flown a few cheap ones.
I'm sorry man. Really. I've crashed my share of aircraft and it's usually with a crowd around. The walk of shame sucks. You play it off like like it's ok on the outside with all your friends watching, but on the inside you're pissed.

To answer your above question, it's used in an emergency. Example:

Someone strikes something while flying. The P3 falls to the ground and the motors are spinning with no way to shut them off. CSC would help to minimize damage leaving the motors running.

Just one of the possible scenarios where it could help. It also starts the motors for a manual takeoff.

SD

It also starts the motors for manual takeoff. That's what I use it for. I tend not to use the auto takeoff and landing system. I star the motors, let it idle for a few seconds, the briskly accelerate with left stick to an altitude of about 10 feet or so. There I hover for about 30 seconds, check out the battery screen for any anomalies, double check radar orientation and GPS count, make sure home position has been recorded, then move out for my flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Ken Hanks
Im certainly a newbie to quads but have been flying RC for 25 years. Nowhere do I see a big red warning lable on what not to do with the Phantoms. I was aware of how it would shut off with the left control down but didn't know it would shut off in flight while crossing controls down. I only now have found a few threads and a video online showing this. So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did. Crashed, bent a leg and sheared off camera. Copter starts and checks out fine; without video feed obviously. Can probably still fly but I haven't yet.

Aerobatics in a camera-equipped P3 sounds kind of like an oxymoron!

One thing to note is that the manual suggests using CSC as one way to shut down your motors after landing. From my own experience, and others that I've seen on this forum, it's far better to hold the left stick only down for three seconds to stop the motors, as using CSC after landing seems to occasionally tip the phantom over on it's side, leading to busted props. I was running fw 1.1.9 when it happened to me, and haven't done it since, so I don't know if it was ever fixed in any updates. Something to be aware of, anyway.

Reactions: kirk2579
It also starts the motors for manual takeoff. That's what I use it for. I tend not to use the auto takeoff and landing system. I star the motors, let it idle for a few seconds, the briskly accelerate with left stick to an altitude of about 10 feet or so. There I hover for about 30 seconds, check out the battery screen for any anomalies, double check radar orientation and GPS count, make sure home position has been recorded, then move out for my flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

+1

the same as my old p2vplus startup process.
worked for over a year so I still use the exact same procedure on my p3p !.

it's far better to hold the left stick only down for three seconds to stop the motors
Yes, that's how I always shut down the motors. The only situation I see you have to perform a CSC is when you crash the drone and the props are still spinning, so you do a CSC to prevent further damage to the props and motors.

Way too many people purchase their Phantom and never bother to read any sort of instructions or manual and end up searching the web after destroying their new toy only to end up on this and other forums to share their tale of woe. It doesn't matter that this individual has 25 years experience of flying RCs, all are not the same and he learned a quick lesson, the hard way. I was waiting to hear someone chime in indicating the manual makes no mention of "aerobatics" not being recommended therefore, it must by "ok" to fly it in such a manner. I learn new information everyday by reading this forum and "never" take anything for granted when attempting to fly my Phantom in any way I think may not be safe for what it was designed to handle.

. I still think one should be able to customize the emergency motor kill.
I can't say that I disagree. As customizable as the Phantom is I should be able to designate what I want the emergency shutoff to be. I can say this it would not be anywhere near the sticks. Possibly repeatedly pressing one of the triggers in rapid succession? For sure I would turn off the csc if I had the option to do so. Who wouldn't ?

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Last edited:
Oh fcol the responses here... Yes read the manual. He didn't. I have a few questions. For those that can get past the "read the manual response." If you can't get past that skip the rest of my post and do not respond.

How many of you have used the CSC commands to do anything other than start the rotars? If you used it why?

It is a horrible way to shut down the motors. It causes more accidents and tip overs than it is worth. I can't think of a time where I would need to use it! I really don't care that it is a safety feature. It's a bad one and if I had the option I would turn it off. I'm curious how many of you would leave it on if you had the option to turn it off?

Seems to me that it should not even be an option unless the copter is at a certain altitude or certain conditions are met.. Conditions that the operator should be able to set.

Last edited:
Reactions: impilot51
Im certainly a newbie to quads but have been flying RC for 25 years. Nowhere do I see a big red warning lable on what not to do with the Phantoms. I was aware of how it would shut off with the left control down but didn't know it would shut off in flight while crossing controls down. I only now have found a few threads and a video online showing this. So last night I dirt napped Phantom 3 advanced from about 150 foot doing aerobatics that should not have turned off the quadcopter in my opinion but it did. Crashed, bent a leg and sheared off camera. Copter starts and checks out fine; without video feed obviously. Can probably still fly but I haven't yet.
Well the literature on the Phantom clearly states that tilting the Phantom beyond 30 deg. from horizon-level will incur a crash. You said you were doing aerobatics with it. You can't fly from level to 30 deg. off-level and call it "aerobatics". So its anybody's guess if you were trying to flip or roll the Phantom or not or at least nothing you're willing to admit to here in a public forum. It seems entirely possible you performed a CSC mid-flight and it fell out of the sky... lawn dart as it were... you bought the farm... you augered in, etc. Yes, there are quads out there that CAN perform aerobatics, DJI NEVER said you could with the Phantom. Good luck in your future R/C endeavors... flying Phantoms is not like flying fixed wing or rotary wing RC.

How many of you have used the CSC commands to do anything other than start the rotors? If you used it why?
It is a horrible way to shut down the motors. It causes more accidents and tip overs than it is worth. I can't think of a time where I would need to use it!
Despite many forum posts suggesting it be used in flight to stop a Phantom from hitting someone or something, that's most unlikely.
But for anyone that's crashed and had a Phantom come down with props spinning or got it stuck in a tree or near a pet or child ... any time you need an emergency stop.
That's what the CSC is - the emergency stop and when you need one, you'll be glad it's there.

Oh fcol the responses here... Yes read the manual. He didn't. I have a few questions. For those that can get past the "read the manual response." If you can't get past that skip the rest of my post and do not respond.

How many of you have used the CSC commands to do anything other than start the rotars? If you used it why?

It is a horrible way to shut down the motors. It causes more accidents and tip overs than it is worth. I can't think of a time where I would need to use it! I really don't care that it is a safety feature. It's a bad one and if I had the option I would turn it off. I'm curious how many of you would leave it on if you had the option to turn it off?

Seems to me that it should not even be an option unless the copter is at a certain altitude or certain conditions are met.. Conditions that the operator should be able to set.

I'm 100% with you on this. I wish I could disable the csc just because of the fear of accidentally doing it in a panic. I see the plastic thing to put on the joystick, but I fear it is more of an annoyance than anything. Really wish it could be disabled!

I'm 100% with you on this. I wish I could disable the csc just because of the fear of accidentally doing it in a panic. I see the plastic thing to put on the joystick, but I fear it is more of an annoyance than anything. Really wish it could be disabled!
That's a common fear for new Phantom owners but with experience you realize that it's not something you will ever get close to in any normal flying.
When you need an emergency stop you'll be glad of it.

Despite many forum posts suggesting it be used in flight to stop a Phantom from hitting someone or something, that's most unlikely.
But for anyone that's crashed and had a Phantom come down with props spinning or got it stuck in a tree or near a pet or child ... any time you need an emergency stop.
That's what the CSC is - the emergency stop and when you need one, you'll be glad it's there.

+1

been there, done that!

So far 2 like it as is... And 2 don't.

I think it has a function but I don't like how it is implemented. How about a modification that only allows it to work within 20 feet of the rc. As smart as the Phantom is I should be able to set the parameters to this function. I agree you are not likely to get sticks in either configuration. Obviously it is happening though. Even being able to designate one or the other CSC commands is better than the current option. Which is not modifiable at all.

That's a common fear for new Phantom owners but with experience you realize that it's not something you will ever get close to in any normal flying.
When you need an emergency stop you'll be glad of it.

I would be even happier if I had the ability to designate which one I wanted to use. Or tell the Phantom not to engage this feature above 10 meters.

So far 2 like it as is... And 2 don't.
How about a modification that only allows it to work within 20 feet of the rc.
It works very well just as it is.
At least every month, some new member brings this up and it's been discussed to pieces over and over again.
Search for CSC to read some of those posts.
DJI have heard it hundreds of times and aren't going to be changing it.
Modifications like switch covers, combinations etc etc have all been suggested but when you get in a situation where you need an emergency stop, you need to have it immediate .. like when your hands are already on the sticks.
If it only worked within a set distance, it's not much use when you need it a little further away.
Obviously it is happening though.
It gets discussed much, much more than it actually happens.
Think about what kind of manoeuvre you'd be doing that you might accidentally CSC.
It's not something that will happen in normal flight .. unless you think mashing the sticks like a crazy chimp is normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20