Phantom 3 Standard out of control

Reaction score
Phantom 3 Standard, Ipad mini, Dbs mod on controller, latest firmware, every updated.

I hadn't flow my drone for quite a while, maybe 6 months. Had a need for it, charged everything up, connected, calibrated compass etc, all looks good, green gps, auto takeoff all seems good, soon realized I had no control, tried to shut down motors, finally crashed it. broke props but P3 looked ok. Changed props, tried everything again, crashed it three more times, zero control.

Flashed it with an older bin to force it into updating to the newest, when it hooked up said I needed to do firmware update, so updated to latest firmware, use an ipad mini, uninstalled DJI app and installed new, did controller calibration, Imu calibration, compass calibration and did a short flight, all seemed good.

Today I tried it again, stopped using auto take off, used manual take off, all seems fine, couple of minutes of flight all seemed fine, bring drone back to me and again, lose complete control, can't shut off motors, no directional control etc, crashed into a pine tree, messed up props again.

Last edited:
Hello,

How about some data?

#1 Any error messages?
#2 Remote control Status Light?
#3 What kind of distance?
#4 Did it try to RTH
#5 Upload your flight from your mobile and share it.

Instructions are on this web sight.

There is also data on the Phantom, but it is little harder to retrieve it. ;)

Rod

Here you go, hope this is what's needed, hard to see the iPad in the sun, didn't see alerts or issues.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-05-22_[09-12-36].txt
    851.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
Here you go, hope this is what's needed, hard to see the iPad in the sun, didn't see alerts or issues.
When using a iPad and Dji-Go you can play back your flights, well that's from my memory.

Anyways...

In the Log, when it switched to Atti / Compass error. That's when you loose control.

@Meta4,
Has had some of the best explanation on compass calibrations.
also

@sar104, @Fly Dawg,
Can look at your data...

All I got for tonight, I fighting win10 computer problems at the moment...

Rod

Hum, Nobody else to a look?
I just got back on, and not with Win 10. :rolleyes:

Defiantly, well I think you need to find a better place to calibrate the compass, and if its good, leave it.

Here are some links to read.

Looking for Trouble ??

One thing to look before you take off is the the direction of the Phantom on the little round radar screen, turn the Phantom different directions, compare with it where it is actually pointing.

Conflict of the compass / gps make the Phantom go into ATTI.

Learning to fly in ATTI mode, is your backup plan. ;)

Most of those errors should have been on your screen, playing back your flight with the app will show those, and you can also turn on and see your stick movements. :)

Rod

@Ruidoso Bill,
Here is another....

Rod

Hum, Nobody else to a look?
I just got back on, and not with Win 10. :rolleyes:

Defiantly, well I think you need to find a better place to calibrate the compass, and if its good, leave it.

Here are some links to read.

Looking for Trouble ??

One thing to look before you take off is the the direction of the Phantom on the little round radar screen, turn the Phantom different directions, compare with it where it is actually pointing.

Conflict of the compass / gps make the Phantom go into ATTI.

Learning to fly in ATTI mode, is your backup plan. ;)

Most of those errors should have been on your screen, playing back your flight with the app will show those, and you can also turn on and see your stick movements. :)

Rod

Thank you for your response, will try as suggested. I actually thought I was over calibrating the compass, so if I get a green GPS good to go I may still have issues? This last flight I was only out maybe 400 feet, may 50 ft up, I have had this happened when 15ft and maybe 4 feet up it started this non reacting to controller input. I have different controllers, do you think going back to a stock one might help, when it loses compass and switches to ATTI I have zero control, doesn't respond to stick movements, just has a dirifting mind of its own.

You could try another controller, but I doubt it is the cause, just for a why not, do a remote control calibration, if you never done, I'm sure you learn something new.

If you got a bad compass calibration, then everything is fine until you get in the air.

Lots of posts on this subject.

Simple Search..

I took me a while to really understand the reason to do and not do a compass calibration.

It was a few of @Meta4 posts until I got it.

Read those two links on Post #6 above this one closely.

Rod

You could try another controller, but I doubt it is the cause, just for a why not, do a remote control calibration, if you never done, I'm sure you learn something new.

If you got a bad compass calibration, then everything is fine until you get in the air.

Lots of posts on this subject.

Simple Search..

I took me a while to really understand the reason to do and not do a compass calibration.

It was a few of @Meta4 posts until I got it.

Read those two links on Post #6 above this one closely.

Rod

I have done a controller calibration, will read what you advise, can't believe I've lost what little confidence I had in this thing.

I have different controllers, do you think going back to a stock one might help
Yes!

That's the first thing I would have done, even before starting a thread here. If you have one, go back to a bone-stock controller - and go from there

To me, "Dbs mod on controller" + "soon realized I had no control" = RC issue

Last edited:
@umanbean,
I agree why not try another controller.

Did you look at flight log?

Rod

Yes!

That's the first thing I would have done, even before starting a thread here. If you have one, go back to a bone-stock controller - and go from there

To me, "Dbs mod on controller" + "soon realized I had no control" = RC issue

You do realize I've been using my modded controller for a couple years, I will give the stock one a try.

You do realize I've been using my modded controller for a couple years, I will give the stock one a try.
No sir I did not realize that, and don't recall you having said that.

Hope you get it figured out and it turns out to be something easy to fix, and cheap :)

Good luck

No sir I did not realize that, and don't recall you having said that.

Hope you get it figured out and it turns out to be something easy to fix, and cheap :)

Good luck

Thank so much in trying to help me, I have been reading about a cfixer also, I have not been calibrating the compass correctly, have a watch on, controller haging by strap etc, gonna try doing everything correctly but I have been doing it that way since I got it.

Very cool to see that flight log, waiting for some props, I will try the stock controller and see what it does, really sucks when I have lost confidence in this thing. Has always been reliable and steady. Now after 5 crashes, not so confident.

Cfixer?, from what I have read people use it it they can't calibrate the compass.

From my post on #6, is this statement clear to you?
"One thing to look before you take off is the the direction of the Phantom on the little round radar screen, turn the Phantom different directions, compare with it where it is actually pointing. "

Rod

Cfixer?, from what I have read people use it it they can't calibrate the compass.

From my post on #6, is this statement clear to you?
"One thing to look before you take off is the the direction of the Phantom on the little round radar screen, turn the Phantom different directions, compare with it where it is actually pointing. "

Rod

First, allow me to say Thanks Rod, I am not that experienced with these things as you are. I have one of those magnetic parts trays and I did pass it around the compass prior to calibration, saw this as a suggestion somewhere. I have three controllers, one is DBS antenna modified, second is bone stock except I added the bracket to hold my ipad mini, last is one that is completely bone stock. I went through the DJI dance with the controller on my front deck, got a good green gps, have run it (very) conservatively through 2 battery's, all seems pretty good.

The one thing I notice is the drone is not as stable as I recall, I'll be honest, prior to these issues I used auto take off, and I was always amazed how stable it would be, now using manual take off all seems pretty good except it drifts around, up, down, left right, just does not hover stable, have not used auto take off. I have ordered a screen, I feel ashamed to admit I mostly couldn't see or recount warnings, when folks here asked what warnings, it was just I couldn't control it, really couldn't see much on the screen.

So I am going to take it slow again, like when I got started and see if I can't regain some confidence, wish it would stop drifting around, random 3 feet in any direction, just won't stay stable.

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks man,

I wish some others would help out with some questions etc.
Been kind of goofed in the head, had to put the dog down Sunday the 26th.

Rod

@RodPad .....If this is indeed a compass issue, we will need the aircraft .dat for the MAG data. I will say, however there may be 2 issues here. The compass and possibly an ESC problem. But again, that is difficult to discern from the mobile data. I have looked at this previously but only briefly and did not get back to it due to other issues. I mention the ESC due to the severe pitch and roll during ATTI mode with full throttle down. Why the OP did this is a mystery. Had the OP allowed the aircraft to hover and drift, as it will do in ATTI mode, as opposed to the full throttle down, the crash could have been avoided. That aside the aircraft .dat would provide more info as far as the compass goes.

Capture2.PNG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj