Phantom 3 advanced crash (Probably Compass issue)

Reaction score
My DJI Phantom 3 Advanced just recently crashed and here is the video of the crash.
I think it was a compress error but I am not sure. I had calibrated the compass at the beginning of the flight and there were no compass errors that I saw during the flight. Even when it was plummeting towards the ground I didn't see anything. There was some wind during the flight but the P3A should be able to handle it. Here is the flight data. Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones. Do you think DJI would cover this and how do I prevent this from happening again.
PS When I was calibrating the compass there was a car a near me but it was farther away than the 5ft recommendation. Could that have caused the issue? Everything seemed perfectly fine before it lost control.

My DJI Phantom 3 Advanced just recently crashed and here is the video of the crash.
I think it was a compress error but I am not sure. I had calibrated the compass at the beginning of the flight and there were no compass errors that I saw during the flight. Even when it was plummeting towards the ground I didn't see anything. There was some wind during the flight but the P3A should be able to handle it. Here is the flight data. Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones. Do you think DJI would cover this and how do I prevent this from happening again.
PS When I was calibrating the compass there was a car a near me but it was farther away than the 5ft recommendation. Could that have caused the issue? Everything seemed perfectly fine before it lost control.
Sad to watch ,data shows compass error like you say,something was going on look like it was shaken as it was flying,looks like something dji would cover, dont think car messed with it not close enough,,hard to prevent happening again ,could happen to any of us,i cant really understand flight data proper but looks like compass fault,probly heaps of damage after that, :(they should replace

Sad to watch ,data shows compass error like you say,something was going on look like it was shaken as it was flying,looks like something dji would cover, dont think car messed with it not close enough,,hard to prevent happening again ,could happen to any of us,i cant really understand flight data proper but looks like compass fault,probly heaps of damage after that, :(they should replace
Ok. I am really thankful it didn't land on someone or someone's house. It didn't actually have that much damage. Only one arm is bent so probably the body will have to be replaced and maybe a motor. Lol I hope they send me a p4 for the trouble.

Follow this link for instructions on how to get and upload your flight log so the clever guys here can analyse the information..
DJI Flight Log Viewer
Personally, I'd doubt very much if this was a compass fault, because if there is a compass confliction with the GPS system, to end the conflict the AC switches off GPS and goes into ATTI mode; it doesn't drop from the sky.

Last edited:
Follow this link for instructions on how to get and upload your flight log so the clever guys here can analyse the information..
DJI Flight Log Viewer
Personally, I'd doubt very much if this was a compass fault, because if there is a compass confliction with the GPS system, to end the conflict the AC switches off GPS and goes into ATTI mode; it doesn't drop from the sky.
Yes i love to learn to read and understand letters and numbers, was just looking again,shows compass in red and says not normal,i clicked on sensors and compass and shows at bottom of file,says high wind or bird strike or compass error

DJI Flight Log Viewer
Ok. Here is a CSV file and KML file and text file. Dropbox - DJI Phantom 3 Advanced August 14th Crash Flight Data Any clever guys want to solve a mystery go ahead.

It's not a good idea to calibrate before a flight but it didn't cause any problems here.
Forget Airdata, it's next to useless for investigating an incident.
You need to see actual flight data like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
For the people commenting about a compass error, there is no hint of a compass error in this flight.
Airdata's false alarm is due to the compass spinning as the Phantom goes down - (I told you it's useless)
A compass error will never make your Phantom fall from the sky either - it will switch your Phantom to atti and it might be harder to control but it won't fall.

The flight data has no errors right up to the end at 12:01
But from 11:47.8 you see that the Phantom is tumbling from the sky.
Assessment ... This is one for DJI to look into if the Phantom is still in warranty.
Upload your flight record (click the cloud icon on the flight record page)
Then go to DJI online help and open a chat session to start things happening.

It's not a good idea to calibrate before a flight but it didn't cause any problems here.
Forget Airdata, it's next to useless for investigating an incident.
You need to see actual flight data like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
For the people commenting about a compass error, there is no hint of a compass error in this flight.
Airdata's false alarm is due to the compass spinning as the Phantom goes down - (I told you it's useless)
A compass error will never make your Phantom fall from the sky either - it will switch your Phantom to atti and it might be harder to control but it won't fall.

The flight data has no errors right up to the end at 12:01
But from 11:47.8 you see that the Phantom is tumbling from the sky.
Assessment ... This is one for DJI to look into if the Phantom is still in warranty.
Upload your flight record (click the cloud icon on the flight record page)
Then go to DJI online help and open a chat session to start things happening.
Thanks for clearing that about compass :)

I had exacly same looking crash a year ago with Phantom 3 Professional:
Bird was sent for repair, since then i have no issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl