Phantom 3 4K range mod???

Hey everybody, first time posting and just want to say I'm loving the community so far, great information and people on here [emoji1]

I'm looking at picking up one of the new phantom 3 4Ks and am interested in adding a range modification to it. I don't need extreme range on it but want to make sure to have as much as possible. I know going with one of the light bridge enabled models would be best, but when it comes down to price, I have to decide between light bridge or a 4K camera and being into film making, 4K wins out.

All that being said, does anybody know which ItElite DBS range mod would work for the 4K? The controller looks like the one for the P3A and P3P (sans the light bridge of course), but since it is wifi enabled, would I need to get the range mod for the standard control?

From the reading I've been doing on the forum, it sounds like the only difference between the range mod for the P3P/P3A and the P3S is the length of some of the cables and mounting hardware, ya? Others than that, the mods are the same?

Really appreciate any feedback!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Phantom 3 4k only has 480p live view, is that going to be good enough for your to frame your shots?

The Phantom 3 4k only has 480p live view, is that going to be good enough for your to frame your shots?
For now, I think it should. The only reason I'd really need a higher resolution live view is if I was having to focus manually, but that's a non issue.

DBS just posted this on his Youtube channel.
inside the p34k remote and the video of the 3 mile range test on it.

Thanks for posting! Going to check it out right now.

The thing I wonder is...if DJI would ever allow us to change from 720p to 480p for live view on the P3S, that might increase out of the box range significantly.

I doubt it but would help . It did in the Vision app having it lower with losing FPV at much distance
but what I have seen with mine and I do go long is I lose the 5.8 signal before 2.4 so I don't think it would help you get
any more distance unless that is what you are losing first .
Is the way it is with mine anyway .

I watched the video tonight and was looking at the kits on Ebay before coming here. I am really interested in doing this mod for my P34K. I was able to get about an extra 500ft range by adding a couple of windsurfer style antenna reflectors (the aluminum ones). But honestly the 4K needs a range boost. The YT video really shows a good shot of the antenna wire layout. Looks like something I could do myself. Im pretty technical and handy. I want to get in touch with the Ebay seller because he is real close to me in Ft Lauderdale, FL. If I get the kit and do the mod Ill make a video of it and post it here. But it may not be until next month. In the mean time in doing all the reserch I can. This thread is very helpful.

OK I just came across this little bit of help! I found it here! Looks like its what we need to help make things happen easier. A sure bet for the P3 STD but Im wondering if it can also be applied to the 4K? I am quite sure the antennas etc will work. Just not sure if the internal wires will reach. It looks to me like they will if done exactly like the picture. Well guys take a look and tell me what you think? Phantom 3 Standard solution – DBS Mods
Be sure to click on the links on the page where you buy it. It shows what is included in this modified kit with the extras we need.

I'm pretty sure the kit he comes out with will have the proper cables and a way to connect it to your style TX Rambo .
The one for the Standard won't get it . Not sure just what he has in that video but he will come out with something .
Is a good antenna as are several more . I'm parcel to this one as it's more compact .

Reactions: Rambo1
OK I just came across this little bit of help! I found it here! Looks like its what we need to help make things happen easier. A sure bet for the P3 STD but Im wondering if it can also be applied to the 4K? I am quite sure the antennas etc will work. Just not sure if the internal wires will reach. It looks to me like they will if done exactly like the picture. Well guys take a look and tell me what you think? Phantom 3 Standard solution – DBS Mods
Be sure to click on the links on the page where you buy it. It shows what is included in this modified kit with the extras we need.

If you watch his video I believe he says the 4K is similar to the other controllers but different.

The P34K controller is like the STD controller in which it uses both 2.4 and 5.8 so the antenna panel needed will incorporate both frequencies. Whereas the Advanced and Professional only use 2.4 ghz (correct me if I am wrong). So the only kit that will work will be one for a Std edition. I am going to hold out and wait for a dedicated kit for the 4K to be released. I noticed just yesterday Drone World stopped selling the 4K and is recommending buying the Advanced Edition instead citing that the 4K is lacking in 4 areas. Here is a copy/paste ( sorry changing the subject a little here but worth saying )
  • OUT OF STOCK / NO LONGER SELLING THIS MODEL
  • WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING the Phantom 3Advanced (Currently Same Price of $799!) orProfessional models, which have: 1. DJI's Light Bridge technology for over 2x the flight range (1.2+ miles) 2.GLONASS for better GPS connection 3. DJI's Vision Positioning System which provides more stable flight during take off, landing, close to ground, etc. & Ability to Fly Indoors! 4. Higher Quality 4k video(Pro) & extended remote functionality.
I would like to say in response to what Drone World said here that I am really happy with my 4K and I get a real good lock on the satellites where I live in Florida on average 11-12 sats and usually I get 6-7 in less than one minute and after about 5 mins 11 or 12. And another thing Im not sure about the validity of point #3 as the 4K does come with DJI's Vision positioning system! So that is wrong!
I think that the 4K is a balance of STD and PRO mixed. In order to bring a better camera in at a low price point DJI took what they had in the R&D dept and came up with an affordable quad that can get some real impressive 4K video. Now to truly get the real good 4K video you will have to replace the micro SD memory stick that came with the 4K with some good and fast memory. I recommend SanDisk Extreme 64 GB and look for U3 as it is faster than U1. Note it will be listed as U1 memory but look for the ones that show a U3 symbol on the photo of the actual memory. I also recommend buying it from a reputable retailer like B&H online or a store like Best Buy because a lot of knock offs are being sold and they look real and have some very real looking packaging. Check out YouTube on how to tell the difference.
The memory I bought was an older stock and I got it on sale for $37.99 (shipped) @ B&H because its Max. Write Speed: 40 MB/s here SanDisk 64GB Extreme UHS-I microSDXC Memory SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA
And it works fine at 4K without shudder when moving fast and making fast turns. But if you want the newer faster go with this. SanDisk 64GB Extreme Plus UHS-I microSDXC SDSQXSG-064G-ANCMA B&H For $20 more.
Let me tell you that the memory really makes a difference. I had purchased a 32 GB one on jet.com and it turned out to be a knock off. So beware of Ebay etc always go with an authorized dealer. In fact I noticed the lack of shudder right away while flying on my display. It seems that when you get into a DJI Phantom for flying fun you will also get into the photography aspect of it too. After all if you are flying one of these and not a racer it is all about the beautiful video you get. Im sorry again for going off subject but I like to say the words and help others with my own experiences. I suppose Im old school because most 20 something year olds I know dont even speak. And I cant do that telepathy thing with you over the internet! Ha Ha Well good luck fellow flyers and I hope my words were of some help. Take Care!

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm pretty sure the kit he comes out with will have the proper cables and a way to connect it to your style TX Rambo .
The one for the Standard won't get it . Not sure just what he has in that video but he will come out with something .
Is a good antenna as are several more . I'm parcel to this one as it's more compact .
I also like the DBS style too. The other one with the boobs style antenna will get damaged with handling. I agree. When I modify mine I will get a small case that is just for my controller because I dont want to hassle with taking it apart every time. I hope that the full dedicated kit comes out soon for the 4K from DBS as I want to get one!

Strange they said that Rambo . Maybe they about to drop the price's again like they did on the Standard . I will have one when they do ! ;)
Yea the DBS is easier to leave on and I have the other on my P2 .
I am redoing it to the set-up just like I have on my Standard . It works for me .

drone world is all about the upsell and they see more opportunity for upselling on the adv/pro versions. a lot of their bundle packages are overpriced, but thats how they make their money. i wouldnt read too much into it.

Reactions: Rambo1
Strange they said that Rambo . Maybe they about to drop the price's again like they did on the Standard . I will have one when they do ! ;)
Yea the DBS is easier to leave on and I have the other on my P2 .
I am redoing it to the set-up just like I have on my Standard . It works for me .
I dont think the prices will drop as it is a hot item. I think it was just Drone World's opinion and choice not to sell the 4K. After all look at their website DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Adv Kits Bundle (In Stock & Free Ship) | Inspire 1 (Drone World) all they want to do is sell you the world with all of these kits! Sure sell a kit and sell more merchandise! Its sell sell sell! Now thats great for the rich and the 1 percent. But most of us are on a budget. And I think if you have a STD with a range mod you have done well in saving money! I think that a move to a 4K would only be justified if you were doing commercial video or just wanted to sell the old and get the better controller with the wheels and buttons for the camera. But if you are a first time buyer a 4K with a range mod makes a lot of sense as it will still be less than a Pro and save you a lot of cash and still do the same thing!

I dont think the prices will drop as it is a hot item. I think it was just Drone World's opinion and choice not to sell the 4K. After all look at their website DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Adv Kits Bundle (In Stock & Free Ship) | Inspire 1 (Drone World) all they want to do is sell you the world with all of these kits! Sure sell a kit and sell more merchandise! Its sell sell sell! Now thats great for the rich and the 1 percent. But most of us are on a budget. And I think if you have a STD with a range mod you have done well in saving money! I think that a move to a 4K would only be justified if you were doing commercial video or just wanted to sell the old and get the better controller with the wheels and buttons for the camera. But if you are a first time buyer a 4K with a range mod makes a lot of sense as it will still be less than a Pro and save you a lot of cash and still do the same thing!
I want one to mod as it's 27dbi compared to 19 dbi . I wanna see what it will do plus the better TX as far as the camera buttons and the better gimbal .
As far as the 4K my PC can't deal with the 2.7 :)
I just like messing with the 2.4 & 5.8 ;)
Gotta get a 5k imac .And gotta get and goota get .lol
What I really need is to win the lottery :)

Reactions: Bleedin Iris Photog
I want one to mod as it's 27dbi compared to 19 dbi . I wanna see what it will do plus the better TX as far as the camera buttons and the better gimbal .
As far as the 4K my PC can't deal with the 2.7 :)
I just like messing with the 2.4 & 5.8 ;)
Gotta get a 5k imac .And gotta get and goota get .lol
What I really need is to win the lottery :)
Hey the prices on 4K TVs are way down. I saw one for $500 the other day. I put my sd card in a usb adapter and watch my videos right on the TV set. And yes you do get that wow effect. :)

Hey the prices on 4K TVs are way down. I saw one for $500 the other day. I put my sd card in a usb adapter and watch my videos right on the TV set. And yes you do get that wow effect. :)
Yea but I do more and that 27" iMac is sweet.
Watch more computer screen than tv.
Mostly the news and that's bad enough in regular screen
I did take a 2 .7 video on a flash drive to a Best Buy and put it in that iMac and it was awesome Who a Best Buy and put it in that iMac and it was awesome .

Reactions: Bleedin Iris Photog
Wow ordered my kit yesterday and it arrived today! Granted I live in the same city. Well bad news is it come incomplete. MISSING the pigtail wires that go from the controller to the actual antenna plate. It did come with the 3 internal wires needes and yes they are long. But WTF? There aint no flying if you dont have it all. Called the seller and waiting for an answer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik