Phantom 3 4k DBS Itelite Antenna Booster Mod Notes

Reaction score
Last night I spent three hours carefully upgrading my P3 4k with a DBS and wanted to share a few things which might help owners of the P3 4K.

Most of the online videos and instructions deal with modifying other Phantom remote controllers. The controller for the Phantom 3 4k has some unique features afaics.

I'm in the UK and ordered from www.maxxuav.eu as they had a specific kit for the P3 4k and offered quick delivery to the United Kingdom. Some other sellers on UK Amazon and ebay were a bit vague about the exact models of Phantom 3 their kit was for. The kit arrived within 48 hours.

View media item 2737
I had watched lots of YouTube tutorials about opening the controller and removing the silicone in order to remove the antenna connectors and I thought I had a good idea of what the remote would look like internally.

The first surprise was that, inside the P3 4k remote, there aren't any rectangular 2.4ghz Wifi aerials as seen elsewhere. The two gray Wifi cables come from the board and one goes to the right hand antenna the other to the left hand antenna but one antenna is shared and also has the black 5.8ghz lead going to it.

View media item 2738
I put the Phantom in the back garden and went to the front of the house, video and control both work (on stationary bird). Proper test later today.

Wanted to share.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Wow. I didn't realize the P3 4K controller was so different!

And that is very strange to share an antenna like that. I've never heard of such a thing.

Thanks for sharing!

I thought I'd update this thread as I've done enough flying with the new mod in place for me to feel I can pass comment. WOW - amazing difference. Even in an urban area surrounded by a dozen wi-fi networks I don't lose control or video. I've not tried for any distance records yet. However it's great to know I can fly safely, with full video, full control in a normal range. Gone is the frustration and hair-pulling of losing video after less than 200 metres; previously a regular occurrence anywhere near someone's wifi.

I thought I'd update this thread as I've done enough flying with the new mod in place for me to feel I can pass comment. WOW - amazing difference. Even in an urban area surrounded by a dozen wi-fi networks I don't lose control or video. I've not tried for any distance records yet. However it's great to know I can fly safely, with full video, full control in a normal range. Gone is the frustration and hair-pulling of losing video after less than 200 metres; previously a regular occurrence anywhere near someone's wifi.

I know how you feel, here in London the is very little open space, tut. I'm liking the MaxxUAV hmmm.

U.K. Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31