Phantom 2 with Go Pro 5?

Reaction score
Might be a bit early in the piece to ask the question but here goes. I have a P2 which I've recently bought a DJI Zenmuse H4-3D 3-Axis Brushless Camera Gimbal for (not yet installed). The seller assured me that this gimble will work with the P2, (can anyone confirm this?) But mainly I was wondering if the new GoPro Hero 5 camera which doesn't have the bulky case might be able to work with this setup? Any comments appreciated!

For FPV? it wont work. Why??
The GoPro 5 uses a USB type C connector. The previous Gopro's used a 10 pin mini USB. Unless DJI or a third party company creates a type C connector/converter to replace the part 56 found on the H33D and H43Ds, you have no other options but to use a Hero 4/3 or maybe ditch DJI and Karma up!

"The removable battery and microSD card slot are hidden in the bottom, while the USB type-C port and micro HDMI port are hidden behind a flap on the right. The large recording button sits on the top."
GoPro Hero5 Black vs Hero5 Session: What's the difference? - Pocket-lint

Edit: Or maybe modify the micro HDMI out port and wire directly to the transmitter.

On a final note, GoPro are being a bag of cocks lately by doing firmware updates to block TV out on their GoPros. I am not sure if the Hero 5 has been firmwared this way..

Last edited:
Yeah, anything to get you buying later equipment I guess. I was planning to use the P2 as a dedicated over water bird to save wetting my P4 and I could also find other uses for a GoPro 5. So would a GoPro 3 or 4 work on my gimble and connect ok? I'm thinking there will plenty of these hitting the market in the coming months as people upgrade! Many thanks for your expertise on this issue, very much appreciated.

Yeah, anything to get you buying later equipment I guess. I was planning to use the P2 as a dedicated over water bird to save wetting my P4 and I could also find other uses for a GoPro 5. So would a GoPro 3 or 4 work on my gimble and connect ok? I'm thinking there will plenty of these hitting the market in the coming months as people upgrade! Many thanks for your expertise on this issue, very much appreciated.

Yes both the GP 3 & 4 will work as the Zenmuse gimbal was designed for GP cameras.

I was really hoping to do the same... I wanted the GoPro 5 for the "flat horizon mode" that the new 5 has.

I think the Zenmuse gimbal could be modified and the camera re-balanced... but the connection, as pointed out, will be the key.

Seeing's how GoPro and GJI have been feuding since GoPro forced DJI to stop using the rear port/slot on the early DJI gimbals GoPro will not make it easy to allow connection... and on the flip side I doubt DJI will come out with a Zenmuse "H5-3D"... or would they? ;-).... just to mess with GoPro and take even more biz away from GoPro's Karma?

I am in the same boat, wanting to do SOMETHING with my P2's....

Sorry but the Hero 5 was not designed to work with a zenmuse gimbal. It's the same with karma you either ordered it with a gimbal for the Hero 5 or Hero 4

Hero 5 is heavy. I've got Zenmuse H2-3D and it can't lift camera.

It will not on the newer H4-3D gimbal either let alone the output is more then likely HDMI as well.

Any update on this topic?

The Hero 5 was designed strictly for use on the Karma, in fact, it only has an HDMI video output which 5.8GHz FPV systems cannot handle.

I wanted the GoPro 5 for the "flat horizon mode"

If you update your HERO4 with the latest firmware you also get Flat Horizon - Linear mode on videos - mine on the F550 is superb !

Any update to this.. I found a you tube where a guy in poland mounted a 5 without a gimble. Of course this would be static.

Any update to this.. I found a you tube where a guy in poland mounted a 5 without a gimble. Of course this would be static.

There's really nothing new about mounting a camera on a Phantom without a gimbal. But I guess for a newbie it's something new.

I think it would be possible to 3D print a replacement for the part that the GoPro actually sits in. I was also looking to see if there was a way to do this. I need to actually get my hands on hero 5 first. in theory, all we would need is to replace the "Cup" portion the hero backs into. I have Lightbridge on my P2 so the Hero5 mini HDMI out would work for me.

Here is what I am trying to get at. By strapping the Hero 5 to the Zenmuse as is, the Hero is too front heavy and the gimbal will not be able to tilt the camera up. If we redesign the "cup" and move the camera back a little, the gimbal should be able to level the camera. There would be a lot of trial and error to get the weight balance correct but I think it can be done. I would need a broken H4-3D to take apart and a Hero 5. Any thoughts?

Hero 5 Zenmuse.PNG
Hero 5 ZenmuseB.PNG

Here is what I am trying to get at. By strapping the Hero 5 to the Zenmuse as is, the Hero is too front heavy and the gimbal will not be able to tilt the camera up. If we redesign the "cup" and move the camera back a little, the gimbal should be able to level the camera. There would be a lot of trial and error to get the weight balance correct but I think it can be done. I would need a broken H4-3D to take apart and a Hero 5. Any thoughts?

View attachment 98959 View attachment 98960
Hello! Any success with this project?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic