Phantom 2 + Dronexpert RX100 kit + DJI iOSD-mini

pault said:
how do you focus the RX100 - can the remote fob partially depress the shutter to set focus ?

Paul, I forgot to answer this. Sorry.

No you can't do that. BUT, don't forget, you're shooting everything at 28mm. From the air. Therefore, either think 'hyperfocal distance' (like Cartier-Bresson) and set the focus to that manually before you take off, or just leave the camera on continuous autofocus. I mean, it's not as if you're shooting a headshot with a 105mm portrait lens and need the model's left eye pin-sharp, now is it? ;)

Peter Evans said:
So, am I glad I went down this road?....

Well yes I am. But I do have one gripe, and that is the quality of the Dronexpert platform. That white plastic stuff is not very strong. My 'DIY spider legs' are not quite finished, therefore I flew it today 'as delivered'. As I said earlier, the platform projects 2mm below the level of the Phatom's rubber 'feet' and, after landing on a stony driveway by that church this afternoon, part of the platform has cracked where it's fastened with a plastic tie to the Phantom's leg. I fixed it with Superglue but I'm not happy about the fact that it is not carbon-fibre (as advertised); I'm sure that if it had been CF, it would have survived. I'll be talking to Dronexpert about it tomorrow.

_DSC9442-broken-platform.jpg

More to follow....
wow... great picture... My only concern now is the Dronexpert platform... Keep posting.
Thanks
Allan

Hi Peter ,
Thanks for posting the images and your thoughts I know we have been emailing privately previously but I wanted to reply via the forum for the reason that hopefully Dronexpert will possibly read this.
I appreciate that you have been kind enough to take the plunge and put your money up front whilst we other 'scardy cats' wait to see the outcome. I was about to order this system as you know but having seen the quality of workmanship and having read your comments about various items especially the fact that it's plastic and not carbon fibre as per all their images and video I honestly think you have just cause for complaint and quite possibly money back. €825 euros is a heck of an amount to pay for what looks to me a bodged job. If it was beautifully engineered, finished and everything thought out and supplied ( including landing gear extensions) then absolutely worth the money. But I know as a professional that every time I used it it would annoy the heck out of me because it's not quite there! A bit like a picture being sharp but not tack sharp if you get my drift.
Ask for recompense I say as you didn't get what you actually ordered.
Paul

I agree with Mactab, Dronexpert owe you one. I think you have discovered the only way currently to get decent quality photos from a user friendly (and low cost) aerial platform. If I were Droneexpert I would further refine this platform - the only way that they could lose would be for DJI to release an enhanced Vision with a much improved camera but much as they might want to do this I just cannot see it happening.

I do not see any problem having to put more effort into the photography side, after all it is all in the composition. At least with the RX100 the results are there to be had whereas the FC200 just cannot do it no matter how hard you try.

pault said:
As expected, chalk and cheese.

Just one thing, I do not understand why you attempted to land the setup - hand landing is the way to go, much easier and no stress.
Do you hand land by yourself or do you have another person? Maybe you could post a video.
Thanks
Allan

AllanVB said:
pault said:
As expected, chalk and cheese.

Just one thing, I do not understand why you attempted to land the setup - hand landing is the way to go, much easier and no stress.
Do you hand land by yourself or do you have another person? Maybe you could post a video.z
Thanks
Allan
There is nothing hard about hand landing - just park the Phantom in a hover slightly above and to one side of you and grab a leg and power down with the other hand.

pault said:

Well (a) I'd never done a hand landing before, it always seemed a bit like me using an angle grinder in one hand whilst holding the very small thing I'm cutting in the other - without industrial gloves on :) and (b) I was trying to be clever and land on top of my Phantom case (from whence I'd taken off). However, the wind was doing its damnedest to thwart me, so I put it down on the driveway instead. After seeing the results of that, next time I did put on my industrial gloves, screwed up my eyes, turned my head and did a hand landing (just joking about the gloves and turning away; I did screw up my eyes though).

AllanVB said:
Do you hand land by yourself or do you have another person?

Paul's right, Allan, it's easy. Even when it's windy! GPS mode. Hover just above head height. Reach out and hold the leg with your right hand and then power down with the left.

The first time you do it it's a bit disconcerting (I didn't have prop-guards on) but, as I found out today, once you've done it, it's a doddle thereafter.

I found that it helps if you pull your head back, screw up your face and squeeze your eyes half-closed while you're doing it. :D

To Paul (mactab) and Paul (pault)

Thanks for that, both. As I said, I will be making my feelings clear to Dronexpert tomorrow. I intend pointing them to this forum and also informing them that I'm going to be doing a full review of their kit on my Blog next week (after I've done the video tests). I'll also send them my website stats to show them that the Blog has had 1,265 hits this month.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the update.

The photos are worth the expense but I am shocked at the poor quality of the solution that Drone expert have supplied to you. Its more like a rough and ready test of concept rather than a finished product. What on earth are they thinking providing a platform that is the first thing to make contact with the ground on landing. No doubt they have gone with the white plastic to try and blend in with the Phantom and to save weight. Its the wrong way in my view, a professional wants a robust platform that can take a few knocks. There product took one landing and it broke. If they want to sell more of them they need to supply you with a carbon fibre rig as advertised. I don't think they realise yet what exposure your about to give to their bodge job.

Keep the updates coming and lets hope they support the product as they should.

Thanks for sharing with us Peter.

I too am shocked at the disparity of the product you have and the one that Dronexpert advertise.

For that kind of money, I would expect something finished properly. I shall hold off till I see how they treat your complaints.

Very interesting that DJI have appointed Eric Cheng as director of Aerial Imaging:

http://skypixel.org

Maybe something for us stills guys is on the way.

Cheers

Tom

There seems to be a serious design flaw if you cannot read read the camera display with the HDMI cable connected. Does this mean you have to setup the camera (ISO/manual/auto etc etc) before connecting it ?

I can see in your shot of the monitor that it appears some of the camera settings are shown at the bottom.

pault said:
There seems to be a serious design flaw if you cannot read read the camera display with the HDMI cable connected. Does this mean you have to setup the camera (ISO/manual/auto etc etc) before connecting it ? I can see in your shot of the monitor that it appears some of the camera settings are shown at the bottom.

Actually, it's the way I had the camera set, Paul. I've just checked here indoors and you can in fact see the camera display (menus etc) on the Dronexpert monitor when the HDMI is plugged in, but the camera's LCD is switched off when the HDMI is connected. However, it is much easier to set your shooting parameters before you fix the camera in place as there's not much room underneath there and so you're trying to alter the camera settings in a very confined space whilst watching the FPV monitor screen. Not easy! Plus, of course you have to have the Phantom powered up in order for the FPV to work so, all the time you're fiddling with the camera, you're using up valuable P2 battery time.

BEWARE of the Sony battery; it doesn't last that long and it doesn't come supplied with a charger (it charges via USB in-camera).

I bought two spare batteries and a charger for less than ten quid on eBay.

Staying with Sony and leaving the Dronexpert issue on one side 'til they get back to me, you may like to see just how good the camera is.

Yesterday, I took a meter reading with an incident light meter, manually set the RX100 to the required exposure, fixed it to the Dronexpert platform, put my polarising filter on, flew it and took the photo below. The problem was that I was so preoccupied with the Phantom and the transmitter and the screen and the filter etc. etc. that I forgot to allow for the filter in the exposure! Duh! Basic photographer error! So this was the result - 2 stops under exposed.

DSC00196-sm.jpg

This morning, I brought the RAW file into Photoshop CC and after a couple of minutes I had this.

DSC00196-sharp-sm.jpg

You can check out the full size version here. Note that NO noise reduction was applied!

http://www.painting-photography-france. ... -sharp.jpg

Shooting data : 1/250th @ f7.1 @ 80 ISO

Looks good Peter...and only 1/250th...I thought it would need faster shutter speed than that.

I have an RX100II that I use when my D800e is too cumbersome. They're great little cameras with very impressive imaging - I can't wait to have a way to get mine in the air, so I really appreciate the blood (let's hope not - be careful with the hand-catches :shock: ), sweat and tears involved in testing this kit.

Side note - if you have to shoot high ISO with the RX100, the PRIME noise reduction in DxO Optics 9 does an outstanding job on the raw files. I like it better than Topaz, Nik and Photoshop NR methods They have a 30-day trial if you want to give it a go: http://www.dxo.com/intl/news/dxo-optics ... s-high-iso

Right, I am convinced this is the way to go for me (as soon as Dronexpert has ironed out the niggles). I have looked at the full sized version of the tower and for any doubters have a look at the plant pots in the three little openings above the door. There is no way the FC200 could come close to resolving those. It is a pity that we cannot also have a gimbal but as stated before I want to be able to produce prints to hang up around the house (and other purposes).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl