Phantom 2 battery hack -smart battery to go to ordinary lipo

Reaction score
Hello,im David from Croatia.Im not flying for 3 months because of the swollen almost dead battery .I really need technical expertise or step by step how to solder and make a connection on the smart battery ,so it can go on ordinary li po batteries.I would put multistar 5200mah .So please if there is ayone to help me i would be grateful.I have found some guys that have done it but i dont have high res pictures.

Attachments

• 20160504_215754.jpg
    20160504_215754.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,641
  • 20160504_215804.jpg
    20160504_215804.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,723
  • 20160504_215811.jpg
    20160504_215811.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,958
I think any electronics repair shop can help you out. Basically the cells are in series then connected in parallel in this type of battery (from my knowledge). You just need a local electronics repair man to help you out !

I will ask someone here in Romania soon to do this mod for me when my 1st battery will "die". I plan on using 2 x 2700 or 2800 mAh batteries strapped on the sides.

Until I need this mod I sadly can't help ... I have two original batteries and I'm planning on buying another two original ones in the near future but when my 1st one dies I will look into this mod.

ola amigo soy de colombia el único consejo que te doy es que no hagas la soldadura directamente en esa placa por que te da problemas almonento de reiniciar la batería para que otra ves quede en 100% cuando se te descargue...

Did this hack a while ago. Now I can use 17 euro batteries from hobbyking in my Phantom 2. Flight time is 18 minutes. Happy days!

Attachments

• phantom-2-batteri.jpg
    phantom-2-batteri.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 8,674
  • phantom-2-batteri2.jpg
    phantom-2-batteri2.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 8,313
  • phantom-2-batteri3.jpg
    phantom-2-batteri3.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 5,299
  • phantom-2-batteri4.jpg
    phantom-2-batteri4.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 6,359
Reactions: Drusha
One of the best guides ever, it is in russian (or something similar :p) BUT with subtitles.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is great and explains in detail all the internals and connections of the battery.

What a great idea, I have 2 batteries that are not holding a charge properly and I was just going to dispose of them but I think I will do this with them instead!

Sent from my SM-G920F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm going to try this method instead of adding extra weight and drag. The multistar batteries are cheap online.

Let me know how you get on with it, my biggest concern is the cutting the case, I once mistakenly laid a battery pack on top of a pin and it pierced the battery and I had some pretty flames and smoke lol!

Let me know how you get on with it, my biggest concern is the cutting the case, I once mistakenly laid a battery pack on top of a pin and it pierced the battery and I had some pretty flames and smoke lol!

I used a dermal tool with a cutting disc on the sides and back but you do have to be careful around the rear of the case. No problem with the front of the case as it just snaps together. I took two apart and just barely cut into battery on one around the rear of the case. Cutting the front of the case for the battery terminals an circuit board was easy and again i used the dermal with the cutting wheel to do that. You do have to use the newer battery with the square copper info pads not the round pads so you can solder wires to the pads leads they are not the same on the round pads. That is why I had to open the second battery.

Here are some photo of the circuit board and how the housing was cut for the board/battery terminal. Read both threads.
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg

View his video on which wire goes where for the info pads.
IMG_0074.jpg

Did this hack a while ago. Now I can use 17 euro batteries from hobbyking in my Phantom 2. Flight time is 18 minutes. Happy days!
Hi, I want to try your mod and would like to ask you why you are using 4000mpa batteries and not the 5200 like in the original phantom 2 battery.
Also would you be so kind and post a diagram/scheme what and how to solder?
Thanks a lot in advance

Hi, I want to try your mod and would like to ask you why you are using 4000mpa batteries and not the 5200 like in the original phantom 2 battery.
Also would you be so kind and post a diagram/scheme what and how to solder?
Thanks a lot in advance

The reason he used a 4000mAh battery it would fit back into the original battery case. A 5200mAh battery is too large and would not fit in the case plus the battery wire and connectors would have to be on the outside as there's no room in the compartment for them. There are also two 5200mAh batteries a short and long so you would need the shorter battery.

Right now you can buy aftermarket 5200mAh batteries for $46.99 and not have to cut open a case plus figuring out how to wire it up.

5200mAh 11.1V For DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Intelligent Flight LIPO Battery 747180906462 | eBay

The reason he used a 4000mAh battery it would fit back into the original battery case. A 5200mAh battery is too large and would not fit in the case plus the battery wire and connectors would have to be on the outside as there's no room in the compartment for them. There are also two 5200mAh batteries a short and long so you would need the shorter battery.

Right now you can buy aftermarket 5200mAh batteries for $46.99 and not have to cut open a case plus figuring out how to wire it up.

5200mAh 11.1V For DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Intelligent Flight LIPO Battery 747180906462 | eBay
Thanks for the quick reply Jason, i know the after markets are now at reasonable price - the only thing which makes me want to try this mod is the fact i have 5 of the original ones not flyable - despite the fact 3 of them have only 3 and 4 discharges (left them laying for too long) and i simply don't want to throw them away :( I don't have problem opening the old ones and feed the Multistar in. I like the idea of fitting the 4000MAh into the old housing better that what i saw the other guy did on that you tube video (just attaching the original front to Multistar). Thus my question about the wiring diagram and some guide how to for dummies :) would be awesome.

Thanks for the quick reply Jason, i know the after markets are now at reasonable price - the only thing which makes me want to try this mod is the fact i have 5 of the original ones not flyable - despite the fact 3 of them have only 3 and 4 discharges (left them laying for too long) and i simply don't want to throw them away :( I don't have problem opening the old ones and feed the Multistar in. I like the idea of fitting the 4000MAh into the old housing better that what i saw the other guy did on that you tube video (just attaching the original front to Multistar). Thus my question about the wiring diagram and some guide how to for dummies :) would be awesome.

I assume you purchase this P2 used and that would explain why you have 5 batteries that are useless even though a couple only had 3 - 4 charges. Those batteries were not stored properly which shortened there life.

Personally, I will not go into details on how to do the wiring but will supply you with two videos in how it's done. Both videos are in Russian with closed captions which what used when I did the modification and never used it because aftermarket were so cheap.

Here are photos of the modified P2 battery control boards and if you click on any one of the photos you have close-ups. I purchased the needed connectors and 12 gauge red/black wire from Hobby King. Be very careful when cutting those battery case apart as they will burn if exposed to air.

IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_5418.jpg
IMG_5419.jpg
IMG_5423.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wormgrunter
I assume you purchase this P2 used and that would explain why you have 5 batteries that are useless even though a couple only had 3 - 4 charges. Those batteries were not stored properly which shortened there life.

Personally, I will not go into details on how to do the wiring but will supply you with two videos in how it's done. Both videos are in Russian with closed captions which what used when I did the modification and never used it because aftermarket were so cheap.

Here are photos of the modified P2 battery control boards and if you click on any one of the photos you have close-ups. I purchased the needed connectors and 12 gauge red/black wire from Hobby King. Be very careful when cutting those battery case apart as they will burn if exposed to air.

View attachment 96804 View attachment 96805 View attachment 96806 View attachment 96807
thank you Jason, this is really helpful, you're right i bought the p2 with a lot of batteries but all dead :(

I did the mod per the video above. When I attach the Multistar 3s 5200 battery all I get is the first LED. The battery is fully charged. When I hold down the power button for 7-10 seconds all 4 LEDs light up, so it senses all three cells. When connected to the Phantom and the USB cord, nothing shows up in the battery screen. I've tried hooking up the charger but it won't turn on and charge. Any way to spoof the board to get it working?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic