Parabolic range extenders. Do they really work?

Hi!
I do have the P4A Plus but since I’m talking about distance flying, I thought that the 5.8gHz part of the transmission signal was largely irrelevant. As far as I understood, the 5gHz signal was mainly for flying close by in congested WiFi areas as the 5gHz bands are usually a lot less congested!
Oh, you actually have the P4A+ with built in screen, using only 2.4Ghz.

No, 5.8Ghz works better in all conditions when compared to 2.4Ghz in the same P4P GL300F controller. I fly 5.8 AUTO exclusively, all the time, because it simply works better with longer range. You must have LOS connection though, no trees in the way, as 5.8Ghz doesn't have as good of penetration as 2.4Ghz.

You have only 2.4Ghz with P4A+, just like the P4, which is inherently weaker using that controller, unless DJI has somehow turned up the transmit power of that + RC in firmware. My GL300C was always weak with my P4, so I switched to the Inspire controller, GL658A which is compatible with with P4 craft, but has a stronger RC transmit signal, which is the craft's control signal.

Did my suggested settings help you any? I assume the + app in the system has these settings options.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
No, 5.8Ghz works better in all conditions when compared to 2.4Ghz in the same P4P GL300F controller. I fly 5.8 AUTO exclusively, all the time, because it simply works better with longer range. You must have LOS connection though, no trees in the way, as 5.8Ghz doesn't have as good of penetration as 2.4Ghz.

You have only 2.4Ghz with P4A, just like the P4, which is inherently weaker using that GL300C controller, unless DJI has somehow turned up the transmit power of that RC in firmware. My GL300C was always weak with my P4, so I switched to the Inspire controller, GL658A which is compatible with with P4 craft, but has a stronger RC transmit signal, which is the craft's control signal.

Did my suggested settings help you any?

Haven’t tried anything out yet, as it’s windy and raining in my corner of the UK!

My Windsurfers definitely work! Best $12.00 I spent on drones. One must install them correctly, make sure they are equal distant from the antennas, and keep the antennas with reflectors pointed at the drone. All they do is direct wasted RF energy that normally goes back and to the sides, towards the drone. Like squeezing a round balloon, the excess has to go somewhere and if you can direct this towards the target then you are doing it right.

I've not tried any other enhancements or boosters as I can out fly my batteries now. I usually get 100% signals at 7,500 feet on a routine Litchi waypoint mission using the reflectors and disconnect without them.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20