TOZO Passive Range Extenders - they really DO work!

Reaction score
Not looking for super-dooper long distance flying, a) that’s illegal, and b) I don’t want to loose my A/C. However, I do want to be sure that I keep the A/C under control at all times. Have watched a few YouTube videos by a US drone enthusiast (also quite a funny guy) Ken Heron and one of his YouTube videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIQKAWhbb4&t=22s) he extolled the benefits of the TOZO passive range extenders and I thought, why not?
Well they arrived today and I cehecked them out. Using my Airdata log I flew almost the same mission as last week and at the furthest point - 1694 feet - last week recorded 68% radio signal strength, today at 1904 feet the recorded radio signal strength was 97%!
As I say, I just want to be sure I have the greatest chance of getting my A/C back safe and sound and for 14.99 off Amazon I simply cant fault them.
Just saying . . .

Not looking for super-dooper long distance flying, a) that’s illegal, and b) I don’t want to loose my A/C. However, I do want to be sure that I keep the A/C under control at all times. Have watched a few YouTube videos by a US drone enthusiast (also quite a funny guy) Ken Heron and one of his YouTube videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIQKAWhbb4&t=22s) he extolled the benefits of the TOZO passive range extenders and I thought, why not?
Well they arrived today and I cehecked them out. Using my Airdata log I flew almost the same mission as last week and at the furthest point - 1694 feet - last week recorded 68% radio signal strength, today at 1904 feet the recorded radio signal strength was 97%!
As I say, I just want to be sure I have the greatest chance of getting my A/C back safe and sound and for 14.99 off Amazon I simply cant fault them.
Just saying . . .
It's simple. The reflectors take that signal that would have otherwise gone behind you and redirected it back out in front of you. I use one on my P3S and am very pleased.

Taking the concept one step further, I live across from a good size lake. By bouncing this signal off of the lake when calm I add another 400ft. Max on my p34k is 2.1 miles this way.

The reflectors can actually be stacked on longer antenna .... my Argtek - I added two reflectors to the 5.8 antenna on my P3S and hit over 5000m ....

There are subtle differences in reflectors ... I have 3 and each has slightly different curvature. You can just see that in above photo. I believe this is not a manufacturing mistake - but possibly to give good range - but still retain some side signal. As the curvature approaches the max for parallel outbound signal - you lose side signal which means you need to be ever more careful to have antenna aligned with receiving antenna.

The dual reflectors I used there gave me same range as 2W boosted range but without all the extra boosters and power needed to carry.

Before the 'do-gooders' jump on me ... my tests were conducted to verify repeatable signal reliability to give enhanced signal for any close in / proximity work as the P3S is so variable in its signal performance. Being able to have repeatable long range indicated to us that short range would be safer and more reliable .. comparison with boosters was to have a benchmark to aim for.

It proved that $5 worth of reflector on a $45 Argtek system could give excellent communication results ..

Nigel

Just saying . . .

I have used these for about a year and they DO work. In my tests I found them good for about 25% range boost. They fold up nicely and install quickly for that extra boost when you need it. I have been known to install them in the middle of an automated mission to boost signal. And for 6 or 7 bux, you can't go wrong. I highly recommend them.

Beware the kind that do NOT fold. Those are cumbersome and don't stay on the antennas very well.

D

My only gripe is that you can't fit them facing AWAY from the remote whilst still having the antennae vertical.

I was impressed by the TOZO windsurfers when I first bought them. They gave a nice boost in usable range and signal stability, but with any parabolic antenna, you have to be very mindful of keeping your antenna pointed directly at your drone.

That said, I did experience two issues that harleydude and rangioran mentioned.

1. The parabolics slide easily enough over the DJI antennas, but also had a tendency to slide off just as easily (when you don't want them to). Easy fix - After installing the parabolics, slip a couple of o-rings over the antenna tips and slide them down till they sufficiently hold the parabolics in place. Works great. I keep the o-rings on the antennas when not using the parabolics so I don't lose them.

2. Due to interference in plastic material between the bottom of the parabolics and the DJI controller, it's nearly impossible to position the parabolics in a straight-up vertical positions. Easy fix - After using a sharpee marker to mark the place of interference, I used a dremel tool with a round grinder attachment and slowly removed plastic from the bottom side of the parabolics until the interference was gone with the parabolics in the vertical position and used a piece of sandpaper to smooth the ground edges. No perceivable negative impact on parabolic performance, and I can now position the parabolics however I want or need to.

I haven't had problems with the extenders slipping off. I simply create a greater angle between the antennas and the RC by rotating the antennas forward. After installing the extenders, I then rotate the RC back toward me, which levels the antennas to the horizon. This isn't at all uncomfortable. I've even been known to hold the controller up over my head to regain a lost signal.

D

Reactions: Rob P4
My phantom standard claims, 5,000 foot range. I have no idea why anyone wants to go further than that. The better drones claim 2.5 miles, even 4 miles range...why? Why would anyone want or need to go that distance? I'm surprised DJI even allows. that sort of range. I guess these extenders make the signal more powerful, which is good for connectivity...increased range....not so much.

My phantom standard claims, 5,000 foot range. I have no idea why anyone wants to go further than that. The better drones claim 2.5 miles, even 4 miles range...why? Why would anyone want or need to go that distance? I'm surprised DJI even allows. that sort of range. I guess these extenders make the signal more powerful, which is good for connectivity...increased range....not so much.
I get nervous when I can no longer hear or see my P3S. 1,000 feet is about the farthest I've ever flown. Really no need to go further.

The range extenders do nothing for the power, but they do provide more focus. I would liken it to a nozzle on a garden hose. The jet stream travels further than the shower setting without changing pressure.

Reactions: rangioran
My phantom standard claims, 5,000 foot range. I have no idea why anyone wants to go further than that. The better drones claim 2.5 miles, even 4 miles range...why? Why would anyone want or need to go that distance?

The first time you map 2,000 acres, the reason becomes very apparent....<;^)

I'm surprised DJI even allows. that sort of range. I guess these extenders make the signal more powerful, which is good for connectivity...increased range....not so much.

The extenders come in handy if the client requires .5 pixel/inch GSD, which requires low altitudes of roughly 150' AGL. Range is greatly diminished at low altitudes. OR if your bird is traversing lot of elevation and your bird disappears behind a hill or mountain.

The FAA says I must fly L.O.S, and I often do fly with Loss of Signal.

D

It's simple. The reflectors take that signal that would have otherwise gone behind you and redirected it back out in front of you. I use one on my P3S and am very pleased.

Well, I'm stumped. You state that you use these on your P3S. I have a P3 4K. Amazon's page says they do not work on the standard, and I have been told that my set is a Standard with a 4K camera.

Anyone know if this will fit the antennas on the P3 4K controller?

Well, I'm stumped. You state that you use these on your P3S. I have a P3 4K. Amazon's page says they do not work on the standard, and I have been told that my set is a Standard with a 4K camera.

As long as you have a standard form factor RC, they should fit. One positive thing I can say about DJI is that their RC form factor is pretty consistent across multiple models. My Inspire 1 controller looks exactly like my P4P controller. I haven't tried the Tozo on my controller yet, but I see no reason why these antennas won't fit my P4P, my Inspire 1 and even my Phantom 1. The P1 RC is far more removed from the P4P RC than your P3 RC is. Even with the round antennas on the P1 RC, I bet these would work on my P1 controller. If you don't wish to invest the 20 bux, you can get a set of cheapos for < 1/4th that cost, which do essentially the same thing as the Tozos for < 4 bux on eBay:

Capture.JPG

I purchased the Tozo antenna only because of their clear departure from the cheapo parabolic antennas I now use. Regardless or not if the Tozos work better than their 4 dollar counterparts, I like the idea that it's a quality built product. The geek in me is curious to know if their geometry nets better signal results. Probably not, but I liken these to focusing a flashlight. The narrower the beam, the greater the concentration of light. I see no reason why a parabolic antenna couldn't be designed with those same paradigms in mind. I think one user in this forum noted that you really have to make sure you're pointing at the bird. I'll know more once I have the Tozos next to the cheapos.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
Hey doods!

My new Tozo antennas arrived yesterday @ my GF's house. I haven't been home yet to try them, but I must say that I'm impressed with the quality of the build. Hopefully they perform as well as they look. I see no reason why they should work any different from the cheapos I've been using. I'll report my findings here.

D

I'm not sure which controller you have. Does it have one or two antennas?

My P3S controller has the single pole. The windsurfer mounts right on there. My P3Pro has a different controller and a pair of reflectors similar to what Ken is using in his video.

If you read my original post you'll see thats exactly what I bought the TOZO's for - better connectivity.

A good test of the accuracy of the parabolic curvature is point the setup at the sun briefly. If the bright image of the sun lines up with the stock antennas then yours is accurate and fitted at the correct focal length.
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik