P4Pro + or iPad?

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Its almost a year since I bought my P4. Great device, flew many hours with it, mostly no issues but one - from time to time I get a green screen on my iPad (mini 2). Recently the drone got disconnected (I could still control the bird but the app (DJI GO4) said disconnected). Now I am wondering about changing to P4Pro but I still can't make my mind whether to go with the Plus and have a screen on my controller or whether to go for a classic one and use the iPad...

Does anyone experienced any app related issues with P4Pro + like green screen, video freeze or disconnects?
Could someone share their opinion on the 5.5 screen? It feels like a bit small imho - now on 7.9 I already feel like its all pretty packed...

The clear pro for me is having the display and no need for cables and the brightness. The dis is the size. With iPad mini I use the hood, but if I switched to iPad Pro, there is no hood for that... and I am worried it may not be bright enough for the summer...

Thanks for your opinions!

Safe flights!

My iPad Air 2 + Cellular is beginning to green screen now with the newest GO 4. Never did that before, but DJI always seems to screw that up with each version and seems the only solution is to roll back as they don't seem to fix it in subsequent versions and often break something else. The iPad Pro might have a little more horsepower and better now than the Air 2 model. Don't know about the newest iPad they intro'd last month.

If you decide to go to a smaller screen than 9.7" it might be okay if you do not plan to use something like Autopilot or Litchi to pre-plan flights on a small screen. I did that but had to use a stylus and Autopilot once in the dashboard has a lot of stuff cluttered around it and small isn't better at all. So bigger was much better for me. Fwiw, their 12" model shows slower processor speeds than the 9.7" Pro too. Maybe the screen processing eats that up more than the 9.7" size. Dunno.

I'd pass on the P4Pro + with the built-in screen. Can't use autonomus flying apps and a lot of other useful with it as it is a locked system and maybe minimal memory to do so.

There are screens on Amazon all over the place for the 9.7" screen models. Don't know about the 12".

Good luck.

Reactions: Photocopter
I have the P4P+ and love having the built in screen. I don't have to worry about forgetting to bring my iPad or cables, or charging my iPad. I haven't had any app related issues with the P4P+ either. To me the screen size is perfect and folds nicely to fit in my case. I don't find the screen size to be too small, it works just fine. And it's bright! In my opinion the $300 extra was worth the convenience.

Hi Guys!

Its almost a year since I bought my P4. Great device, flew many hours with it, mostly no issues but one - from time to time I get a green screen on my iPad (mini 2). Recently the drone got disconnected (I could still control the bird but the app (DJI GO4) said disconnected). Now I am wondering about changing to P4Pro but I still can't make my mind whether to go with the Plus and have a screen on my controller or whether to go for a classic one and use the iPad...

Does anyone experienced any app related issues with P4Pro + like green screen, video freeze or disconnects?
Could someone share their opinion on the 5.5 screen? It feels like a bit small imho - now on 7.9 I already feel like its all pretty packed...

The clear pro for me is having the display and no need for cables and the brightness. The dis is the size. With iPad mini I use the hood, but if I switched to iPad Pro, there is no hood for that... and I am worried it may not be bright enough for the summer...

Safe flights!

The sole good thing about the new screen is its brightness. Other than that...

It is Android based, but DJI have "locked" it up fairly tight. You can't install apps that you might want on there. I thought I read that they had said they'd be opening it up for apps. Someone around here has hacked it and installed some apps but has trouble with apps that need authorization via whatever the Android app store is called.

I opted for the non + and bought an iPad Mini 4 with cellular. This works great, but in direct sunlight it's a bit painful with all the finger goo. Need to buy some black shirts I guess.

The Mini 4 is quite powerful compared to the iPad Mini 2 - so there's that as well (I almost bought a Mini 2). (I have not seen green screen nor disconnect issues).

I've flown the Mavic Pro with an iPhone 6+ and it's workable but now that I've got the iPad Mini 4, I'll be using the iPad for that as well. In any case I don't like not having my phone available while I fly (and putting it in silent and forgetting, turning off WIFi and forgetting, etc.).

I discovered the other day that the iPhone 6+ does not clamp into the screen holder on the P4P's controller. The "grabbers" don't come that narrow. Will need a sub block if you go that way. (Portrait mode is a bust for this as the screen won't rotate ... would be horrid in any case).

I have a P4P and use an iPad Pro 9.7 " with it and it's perfect . Works like a champ. The iPad is perfect gives plenty of screen space , can see it really good with sunlight and it's butter smooth. iPad fits the device mount perfect with OUT extra adapters

Last edited:
The P4P+ will not be compatible with the new Crystal Sky display kits coming out soon, likely at NAB later this month.
Thats what I'm talking about John! Love to say hey and meet you at NAB in a couple of weeks! My second year in a row for this show. Can't wait!

Hi Guys!

Safe flights!
I just returned from spending a few days flying my brand new P4PRO + Quad-copter before I head out to Utah next week. I found it very difficult to see the screen and nearly impossible to try and use the monitor. Then there is the fact that DJI ASSIST or the DJIGO 4 apps cannot be used or even downloaded to the controller/monitor. Then there is the problem with the screen crashing for unknown reasons. I love the Phantom 4 Pro itself, but DJI should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such crappy firmware, bad apps and their lousy customer support. I can add that I have not seen the screen go green. I do notice the screen flickering about every two seconds and other artifact.

I just returned from spending a few days flying my brand new P4PRO + Quad-copter before I head out to Utah next week. I found it very difficult to see the screen and nearly impossible to try and use the monitor. Then there is the fact that DJI ASSIST or the DJIGO 4 apps cannot be used or even downloaded to the controller/monitor. Then there is the problem with the screen crashing for unknown reasons. I love the Phantom 4 Pro itself, but DJI should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such crappy firmware, bad apps and their lousy customer support. I can add that I have not seen the screen go green. I do notice the screen flickering about every two seconds and other artifact.

So are you going to Utah next week or did you just return from there? Sorry to hear your bad reviews on your P4 Pro Plus. Gonna be in Utah in 2 weeks myself.

So are you going to Utah next week or did you just return from there? Sorry to hear your bad reviews on your P4 Pro Plus. Gonna be in Utah in 2 weeks myself.
As I may have stated before, I love the state of Utah and its breath taking beauty. I will not be able to stay six weeks in the SW and southern Utah like I was able to last year, but two or three weeks will still provide me the time I need to fly both of my Phantoms and hopefully, get some much improved videos. Last year I was able to stay on the road for five months and 19,986 miles of wonderful adventure with my trusty dog. Who knows, maybe we will by pure change, run into each other while touring around the great state of Utah.
I contacted DJI regarding the built in monitor and the fact that it is almost impossible to see what is taking place on the screen. I finally found the location of the brightness and volume controls, so I was able to brighten the screen as much as possible. I will find out today

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
As I may have stated before, I love the state of Utah and its breath taking beauty. I will not be able to state six weeks in the SW and southern Utah like I was able to last year, but two or three weeks will still provide me the time I need to fly both of my Phantoms and hopefully, get some much improved videos. Last year I was able to stay on the road for five months and 19,986 miles of wonderful adventure with my trusty dog. Who knows, maybe we will by pure change, run into each other wile touring around the great state of Utah.
I contacted DJI regarding the built in monitor and the fact that it is almost impossible to see what is taking place on the screen. I finally found the location of the brightness and volume controls, so I was able to brighten the screen as much as possible. I will find out today

Since I will be heading all the way from my home here in North Carolina and will stop at Meteor Crater, which is just south of I-40 in hopes I will be able to fly my Phantom in and around the crater itself.
I will stop at the Painted Desert for a couple of days and then on to Mesa, Arizona to visit a good friend I served with when we were fighting in the jungles of Vietnam. He was born and raided there and he was also a surveyor for the state of Arizona for 42 years and who could ask for a better tour guide. I wish I could leave today.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Since I will be heading all the way from my home here in North Carolina and will stop at Meteor Crater, which is just south of I-40 in hopes I will be able to fly my Phantom in and around the crater itself.
I will stop at the Painted Desert for a couple of days and then on to Mesa, Arizona to visit a good friend I served with when we were fighting in the jungles of Vietnam. He was born and raised there and he was also a surveyor for the state of Arizona for 42 years and who could ask for a better tour guide. I wish I could leave today.

Last edited:
I also pondered a lot before finally deciding for the "regular" P4P. I'm a 100% iOS guy and been using my 6S, Mini4, Air and Pro 9.7 with my DJI devices for yrs without a single issue. The + screen looks awesome and must definitely be a good choice too, I almost got it. But I prefer iOS and the flexibility allowed by multiple iOS devices already owned. Carrying the tablet and cable is a non-issue for me most of the time, but sure the fixed screen looks nice and clean.

I also pondered a lot before finally deciding for the "regular" P4P. I'm a 100% iOS guy and been using my 6S, Mini4, Air and Pro 9.7 with my DJI devices for yrs without a single issue. The + screen looks awesome and must definitely be a good choice too, I almost got it. But I prefer iOS and the flexibility allowed by multiple iOS devices already owned. Carrying the tablet and cable is a non-issue for me most of the time, but sure the fixed screen looks nice and clean.
I too, am a big fan of the IOS format and I have been since I purchased my first iPhone some years back. No thanks to DJI, I finally discovered the controls for brightening the screen. As I stated before, I was really regretting purchasing the P4Pro+, but the added features that comes with the Pro+ was the main reason for purchasing that model. I was finally able to get out yesterday for a short flight to check out the firmware updates as well as hoping the monitor would be bright enough to view in direct sunlight and it was. I am happy to add that my opinion of the P4Pro+ has turned towards the positive and what a relief. The city and county I have lived in most of my life use to have lots of farm ground, woods and open country, but no more. Darn urban sprawl and I live well within the five mile NFZ of the airport. Before the FAA put more stringent rules regarding flying anywhere near airports, I was able to go over to a playing field near my home and fly without worry, thus I was able to fly my drone several times a week, but no more. Now to resolve the issues regarding uploading the flight records to HealthyDrones, which I have a gold account. But, I have a bunch of flowers to plant and yard work to do and hopefully heading west on I-40 by this coming Tuesday. Safe and happy flying, Charlie Gant

I too, am a big fan of the IOS format and I have been since I purchased my first iPhone some years back. No thanks to DJI, I finally discovered the controls for brightening the screen. As I stated before, I was really regretting purchasing the P4Pro+, but the added features that comes with the Pro+ was the main reason for purchasing that model. I was finally able to get out yesterday for a short flight to check out the firmware updates as well as hoping the monitor would be bright enough to view in direct sunlight and it was. I am happy to add that my opinion of the P4Pro+ has turned towards the positive and what a relief. The city and county I have lived in most of my life use to have lots of farm ground, woods and open country, but no more. Darn urban sprawl and I live well within the five mile NFZ of the airport. Before the FAA put more stringent rules regarding flying anywhere near airports, I was able to go over to a playing field near my home and fly without worry, thus I was able to fly my drone several times a week, but no more. Now to resolve the issues regarding uploading the flight records to HealthyDrones, which I have a gold account. But, I have a bunch of flowers to plant and yard work to do and hopefully heading west on I-40 by this coming Tuesday. Safe and happy flying, Charlie Gant

Hey Strikeforce. Hope you had or are having a great trip to my homeland, the southwest. I grew up very near the 4 corners. (In eye shot of Shiprock).Have dreams of flying a drone around there, alas l live across the Pacific now. Anyway how is your P4pro+ working? I just got the same and have had some issues with the monitor freezing and DJIGO4 stopping. Thought l had it worked out. After 5 safe, easy flights, did a Intell. Flight - Point of Interest flight, over water no less. And, yup. It stopped, in orbit mode, had almost no control. Harrowing. But got it back.

Any ideas, ? Have latest firmware, all sensors are fine. I bought the P4pro+ from amazon here so l can send it back.
Thinking l should have gone with P4pro and a tablet. I got it for convience and cables coming out and stability. Or so l thought. Had it on beach in direct sunlight and was ok.

Enjoy some southwest sunlight and blue skies for me. Drive safe on I-40

Chaz

I have the P4P+ and love having the built in screen. I don't have to worry about forgetting to bring my iPad or cables, or charging my iPad. I haven't had any app related issues with the P4P+ either. To me the screen size is perfect and folds nicely to fit in my case. I don't find the screen size to be too small, it works just fine. And it's bright! In my opinion the $300 extra was worth the convenience.
I've had issues with the app locking up when I try different flight modes.

While the plus was tempting, I just knew I was going to regret not being able to use my iPad Mini4 or install 3rd party apps. Besides, I freaking hate Android. ;-P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31