P4p v2.0 yaw drift slight, 5 Degrees per minute

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals and phantom Gurus Of all persuasions-

I have a slight yaw drift in my new P4P v2.0.

I know this topic has been covered ad nauseam. Sorry.?. If you feel yourself slipping into a coma you can stop reading.??

I have gone through all the calibrations. I have calibrated the gimbal with the drone on its back arms. and I have calibrated the remote. I fly full battery.On level ground too.

Other than the drift It flies-as solid as can be.

It takes great videos and great stills if I’m careful. It returns to home like a horse back to the barn.

I think The only Thing that might be a problem is if I took time lapse exposures Which I don’t really care about(gasps ?).

I have heard someone say that it won’t hurt mapping and that’s what I bought it for. I’m hydrogeologist And will use it for mapping and I don’t see how it would hurt the mapping. With what little map testing I’ve done with it so far I haven’t seen a problem.

What does everyone think? Should I send it back? Any other ideas?

I shudder at the thought of sending it back and no I haven’t upgraded to the latest firmware. As a part 107 pilot I need to Be able To fly where I need to fly. Plus updating firmware on these creates some nightmare stories on line.

Please see my side ways video. With a little trigonometry the yaw turns out to be about 5° per minute.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If your main focus is mapping and it does it fine, why not leave it as is? I also have a v2.0 that I use for mapping and everything turns great. I do not know if it has the yaw problem. I never leave it hovering long enough to find out.

Sorry it's not the solution you are looking for. Just my thoughts on the matter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If your main focus is mapping and it does it find, why not leave it as is? I also have a v2.0 that I use for mapping and everything turns great. I do not know if it has the yaw problem. I never leave it hovering long enough to find out.

Sorry it's not the solutiom you are looking for. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I really appreciate Your response.

Your input helps confirm my notion to leave It alone.

Reactions: Ansia
Not sure but try switch props around to eliminate prop balance but even myself not sure that make it drift since gps lock should hold it,give it another stick calibration and don't forget gimble wheel,,I did read somewhere to give it a second stick calibration after the first one but can't think what it was from,,not to keen on drift myself,when stop I expect the drone to aswell and stay till I command it to move,,vps comes to mind also try with it off see if same result,,hope you can sort it

Not sure but try switch props around to eliminate prop balance but even myself not sure that make it drift since gps lock should hold it,give it another stick calibration and don't forget gimble wheel,,I did read somewhere to give it a second stick calibration after the first one but can't think what it was from,,not to keen on drift myself,when stop I expect the drone to aswell and stay till I command it to move,,vps comes to mind also try with it off see if same result,,hope you can sort it

Ah excellent tips!

I'll give it a go!

Upgrade from 4P V1? Tough decision. Don't think drift would bother most flights, but sometimes I'll leave a bird hover for 5+ min. Do they all drift or just unlucky few, like all machines. Buy and hope

from my research it appears that it only affects a few % of machines and the extent of the problem varies from one machine to another but it seems like most are okay.

Other than that it is one solid bird.

Reactions: Capt KO
Upgrade from 4P V1? Tough decision. Don't think drift would bother most flights, but sometimes I'll leave a bird hover for 5+ min. Do they all drift or just unlucky few, like all machines. Buy and hope

Dont relenquish your V1. I wish I hadnt. Im on my third (well technically its now on its way back again) P4P V2. Theyve all done exactly what the OP described, except about 25-30 degrees per minute.

from my research it appears that it only affects a few % of machines and the extent of the problem varies from one machine to another but it seems like most are okay.

Other than that it is one solid bird.

I believe the issue is more than a small Percent. There have been a lot of posts on this forum alone on the yaw/drift issue. The P4 VR 2.0 I have has it and the one I had before it had it (it had a bad controller after 1 week, went back).

As far as I know last firmware for the P4 Vr 2.0 is the 10/24/18 release, which did not fix this.

Reason more posts have not been made, is IMO simple, no one has been able to purchase a P4 Vr 2.0 since late October 2018 from most of the channels including the DJI store. Some places did get them back, DJI never did.

I have spoken to at least 10 others with the issue to some degree.

The problem may also not effect others as much. For if you are not hovering a lot, you won't notice it at all, and my unit does intermittently. Usually starts after about 10 minutes of flight. After a IMU calibration it might work for 15 more minutes, but eventually, it will start to drift while hovering.

It also will push to the right in straight flight pretty much all the time. Stick calibration makes no difference. This I can control by just making a slight stick adjustment in flight.

The drift issue is only an issue when I need a multiple shot AEB more than 5 shots. Most often in sunset/sunrise situations. The drift makes the images on 2nd AEB misalign with 1st set. Can be handled in post.

With Video, what happens:

Straight flight, at end of flight, hovering, drone will yaw to right slowly

When taking a pan by yawing the drone, at end of pan, drone will not hover in place instead it will yaw back in the other direction again slowly.

Also tend to make a strong push to the right on take off, around 3 feet, then hovers OK.

Paul C

Reactions: Capt KO and DKG13CC
Same yaw skew here with two different Phantom 4 Pro V2's. I first noticed this with autonomous mapping software and it is almost always 15 degrees as verified by ground control in CAD. I can't definitively say in which direction, but it seems like it is usually to the north or west depending on the azimuth of the flight.

After analyzing several maps the skew doesn't affect the main body of the map but it obviously if having an affect on the edges of the map so make sure you overfly your subject or at least get the edge passes right on the boundary line. Accuracy distorts quickly because you are only capturing a corner of the image for overlaps.

Have you all noticed a specific direction for the yaw? Right/Left? I think mine skews to the right, but I think I have also recognized which compass direction it is going maybe North/West... This may point to a compass issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.