P4P in ATTI mode switches to GPS mode by itself

Reaction score
During my last 4 flights with my new P4P (only 2hrs flying time) the ATTI mode would switch back to GPS mode without any reason/warning. This didn't happen with the flights before these.

The ATTI mode was selected using the switch on the controller. However the mode would change to GPS and reflect on the iPad screen in DJI Go 4. I changed the mode to GPS and then back to ATTI using the controller switch, but shortly afterwards the mode would switch back to GPS again.

I have been through the flight logs and there are no warnings or messages indicating the reason for this. Please help!

I have been through the flight logs and there are no warnings or messages indicating the reason for this. Please help!
That sounds unusual.
I can think of possible reasons if it was the other way around but not swapping to P-GPS from atti (unless the Phantom was in RTH).
Share your data so others can see what it shows..
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

During my last 4 flights with my new P4P (only 2hrs flying time) the ATTI mode would switch back to GPS mode without any reason/warning. This didn't happen with the flights before these.

The ATTI mode was selected using the switch on the controller. However the mode would change to GPS and reflect on the iPad screen in DJI Go 4. I changed the mode to GPS and then back to ATTI using the controller switch, but shortly afterwards the mode would switch back to GPS again.

I've had a similar thing happen with my P4P+. In my situation, I experienced switches from P Mode (GPS Mode) to Atti, while the switch on the controller was set to P Mode. The switches were apparently random. Also, when I was flying normally in P Mode, I could switch between all flight modes with the aircraft responding as expected.

Definitely post the flight logs so they can be reviewed. Some of the mode switches on my aircraft were so fast, they weren't reported on the controller, but showed in the logs. The general consensus from those here after flight log reviews was a hardware or connection problem with the GPS module and/or main control board.

Accordingly, I started the warranty process with DJI. However, before I sent the aircraft in to them, it was suggested I re-calibrate the compass in a different location, and then fly to see if the switches happened again. DJI's position was that if the compass experienced magnetic interference from steel objects close by my launching point, the communication between the compass and GPS or other flight controls could go wonky. I know this has indeed caused problems with other pilots, even resulting in crashes, but I'd not ever heard of it causing modes to switch. And, I didn't understand how this would resolve anything if the problem is hardware based.

Still, I tried the re-calibration in a large, grassy, and open field, with the closest metal hundreds of yards/meters away. I couldn't get the calibration menu to open, (I was in the wrong area of the app), but I flew anyway with no apparent issues. I've since flown nearly a dozen flights, well away from any known metal objects/structures, and have not experienced any unauthorized mode switches. (At least, none I'm aware of - I've not checked the logs.) DJI has said if the problem surfaces again, I am to send it in.

Needless to say, I was curious about DJI's theory. I've since found out that the concrete pad where I launched from the first time my switching problem happened is indeed steel reinforced. As it was fairly small, perhaps 60ft/20m square, I had thought it was built around wood forms. Time will tell if the issue with my P4P is resolved, or simply coincidental. It's a curiosity, for sure.

I experienced switches from P Mode (GPS Mode) to Atti, while the switch on the controller was set to P Mode.
This is a normal occurrence and the aircraft is doing exactly what it is designed to do. It will switch to ATTI under several different conditions. Compass issues, Low Satellite counts, among others.

Reactions: Loz
That sounds unusual.
I can think of possible reasons if it was the other way around but not swapping to P-GPS from atti (unless the Phantom was in RTH).
Share your data so others can see what it shows..
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Here is the flight log for the 1st flight when this happened. ATTI is set 16sec into the flight. The "self-reset" back to GPS mode occurs 12min13sec into the flight. This happened on subsequent flights, several times after I switched back to ATTI.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-07-13_[13-17-51]csv.zip
    333.1 KB · Views: 277
Here is the flight log for the 1st flight when this happened. ATTI is set 16sec into the flight. The "self-reset" back to GPS mode occurs 12min13sec into the flight. This happened on subsequent flights, several times after I switched back to ATTI.
The flight data shows that you set atti mode and that at 12:09, the Phantom started flying in P-GPS.
I can only think of two possibities.
1. You accidentally moved the flight mode switch .. or
2. Your Phantom is doing something that's never been reported before and for which there is no explanation.

This is a normal occurrence and the aircraft is doing exactly what it is designed to do. It will switch to ATTI under several different conditions. Compass issues, Low Satellite counts, among others.

Yes, I can see that is the case, and it makes sense. Because the switches are unanticipated and often unannounced, it's a bit unnerving is all.

I have looked but can't find anything like it, but is there not some setting in DJI GO 4 that would cause this?

I have looked but can't find anything like it, but is there not some setting in DJI GO 4 that would cause this?
As I said in post #6 there is nothing that would cause this.
It's just something that's never been reported before and there's no logical way for it to occur.

Because the switches are unanticipated and often unannounced, it's a bit unnerving is all.
Pull the .dat file for this flight from the aircraft. It reports the RC mode switch position. That way you will know if it was an accidental change. If you are not familiar with the process see the link below. Upload that file to a sharable location such as Dropbox, Google drive etc...and share a link to that back here.

How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Pull the .dat file for this flight from the aircraft. It reports the RC mode switch position. That way you will know if it was an accidental change. If you are not familiar with the process see the link below. Upload that file to a sharable location such as Dropbox, Google drive etc...and share a link to that back here.

How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Interesting idea. I will plan to do that once the drone is out of storage. Our hurricane Irma repairs are (finally!) winding down and we are in the slow-motion process of moving back aboard our sailboat.

However, I can say with 100% absolution that the switch which controls the flight mode was not manually changed. Each time the aircraft went from P to Atti mode, at least when I was aware of it having happened, I checked the switch, visually and manually. Each time it was set in the P position. In fact, after the first event, I purposefully switched from P to Atti and back again to watch how the aircraft responded.

Once we're back aboard and settled in, I'll definitely take a look at pulling the .dat file.

However, I can say with 100% absolution that the switch which controls the flight mode was not manually changed. Each time the aircraft went from P to Atti mode, at least when I was aware of it having happened, I checked the switch, visually and manually.
He was suggesting that for the OP.
In your case we know what caused your issue and it wasn't accidentally flicking the flight mode switch.
It's very common for Phantoms launched from reinforced concrete to have a compass error that forces the Phantom into atti mode.
But it's unheard of for a Phantom switched to atti mode to get into P-GPS mode without the pilot changing the flight mode switch settings.

In your case we know what caused your issue and it wasn't accidentally flicking the flight mode switch.
As was mentioned earlier, I am not so sure that this was not an "accidental" flight mode switch change. However, I agree in your statement in regard to the concrete surface. That said and being that there were no errors reported that would cause the odd switch from GPS to ATTI and vice versa, the only way to be certain that this is not an accidental switch, or an issue with the aircraft which would require a view of the aircraft log which should confirm that. At this point nothing is for certain by any means, although one must go by the OP's statements of no manual switching unless the data shows otherwise.

He was suggesting that for the OP.
It's very common for Phantoms launched from reinforced concrete to have a compass error that forces the Phantom into atti mode.
But it's unheard of for a Phantom switched to atti mode to get into P-GPS mode without the pilot changing the flight mode switch settings.

Ah...I will be flying again at that location where my first issue happened to video the re-stepping of my mast. But for this, I will launch from a public park area on the opposite bank of the river and fly across to the boat yard.

As was mentioned earlier, I am not so sure that this was not an "accidental" flight mode switch change. However, I agree in your statement in regard to the concrete surface. That said and being that there were no errors reported that would cause the odd switch from GPS to ATTI and vice versa, the only way to be certain that this is not an accidental switch, or an issue with the aircraft which would require a view of the aircraft log which should confirm that. At this point nothing is for certain by any means, although one must go by the OP's statements of no manual switching unless the data shows otherwise.

As it turns out, that concrete pad is quite robust. It was originally intended for a small fixed crane which was never installed. I imagine the amount of steel reinforcement to be significant. As mentioned above, I will be flying there again when some work is being done on my sailboat, but will launch from a park area on the opposite side of the river.

Just a thought - might a faulty switch or Similar hardware (like a loose wire to switch) cause OP symptoms? Seems possible albeit unlikely?

Fyi I've identified the problem :). I downloaded the .DAT file and found that the OA:radiusLimit and the OA:horizNearBoundary went to TRUE status when the mode changed back to GPS mode from ATTI. Although I was flying on a large open field, I must have set the maximum flight distance too low and the drone was simply staying inside the required radius.

I tested this theory today and all worked well. The ATTI mode worked fine when the maximum distance was set higher, but the drone would not go into ATTI mode when the maximum distance was set very low. Note the ATTI mode would not work even before the drone flew in any horizontal direction (i.e. before it even got to the radius limit) if the maximum distance was set very low (e.g. 15m).

Reactions: BudWalker
Fyi I've identified the problem :). I downloaded the .DAT file and found that the OA:radiusLimit and the OA:horizNearBoundary went to TRUE status when the mode changed back to GPS mode from ATTI. Although I was flying on a large open field, I must have set the maximum flight distance too low and the drone was simply staying inside the required radius.

I tested this theory today and all worked well. The ATTI mode worked fine when the maximum distance was set higher, but the drone would not go into ATTI mode when the maximum distance was set very low. Note the ATTI mode would not work even before the drone flew in any horizontal direction (i.e. before it even got to the radius limit) if the maximum distance was set very low (e.g. 15m).
Could you provide the .DAT please? You'll need to DropBox or GoogleDrive it and post the link to the uploaded .DAT.

Also, it's likely that the OA:radiusLimit and the OA:horizNearBoundary signals are in the .txt and could be seen by using the TXTlogToCSVtool converter. You can provide the .txt by attaching it directly to a post since it has a .txt extension

Intriguing...thanks for sharing the information.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic