P4P Gimbal motor overload error and won't work now

Reaction score
I flew the Phantom 4 Pro in fairly strong wind yesterday and after 20 minutes or so the camera view went sideways and 'Gimbal motor overload' error appeared. I landed and the camera went back to center and the gimbal seemed to respond to my inputs. I powered down and when powered up again today the gimbal makes a buzzing/grinding sound and the camera does a dance and then goes limp. There hasn't been any crash or other incident. Is there something I can do to attempt to determine the exact problem or should I send it in to DJI?? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Did you try the gimble auto calibration, first thing to try. Might have damaged the cpu motor board, not expensive. The expert here is @Droneted you may want to PM him.

Hi Capt KO, yes the auto calibration completes to 100% normally but no change. The status screen in DJI GO 4 shows gimbal status normal. But something must have burned out, I could smell a faint burning by the pitch motor on one side of the camera.
This is a learning experience - I flew in fairly strong wind and perpendicular to it at times for too long.
Thanks for your help!

you may have burned the pitch motor. They are fairly cheap. The pitch motor gets burned a lot . This can be caused by forgetting to remove the gimbal guard too many times. I would try that first.

Thanks for the suggestion Droneted. So far I haven't forgotten to remove the gimbal guard but I was flying in somewhat strong wind. I opened a care refresh case with DJI and hopefully I'll be back in operation soon!

Yes I received the new P4P from DJI and sent back the broken gimbal drone. been working so far…thanks for your help

I'm curious, the P4P has been out for some time, did you get it replaced under warranty or did you have to pay for the replacement? Reason I'm asking I bought my 4P4+ back in 2017, obviously out of warranty. I'm now getting the gimbal overload problem, tried re calibrating, didn't help. From reading the forums, sounds like it's a common problem, not sure what parts to buy. For shooting still photos, seems to ignore the giggling but for video, can't have that. I don't know if any actual crashes, but when landing, has flipped over, could have caused the problem. Jim

I'm curious, the P4P has been out for some time, did you get it replaced under warranty or did you have to pay for the replacement? Reason I'm asking I bought my 4P4+ back in 2017, obviously out of warranty. I'm now getting the gimbal overload problem, tried re calibrating, didn't help. From reading the forums, sounds like it's a common problem, not sure what parts to buy. For shooting still photos, seems to ignore the giggling but for video, can't have that. I don't know if any actual crashes, but when landing, has flipped over, could have caused the problem. Jim
If you had a few hard landings the yaw Hall sensors may have been damaged. I have a YouTube video on how to replace the yaw motor. It is not a direct swap.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
If you don't want to try it yourself I am in Clermont Florida and would be glad to help

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.