P4 Tilted Horizon

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have calibrated the IMU , gimbal, & compass multiple times in attempts to resolve the issue, as that is what people have recommended online.

I have also adjusted my gimbal roll in the advanced settings - this only fixed 240 degrees of the horizon but then I will find the final 120 degrees will have the tilted horizon.

Is there a way to get a full 360 degree non tilted horizon?

I previously had the P3P and never had this problem.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey all!

I have calibrated the IMU , gimbal, & compass multiple times in attempts to resolve the issue, as that is what people have recommended online.

I have also adjusted my gimbal roll in the advanced settings - this only fixed 240 degrees of the horizon but then I will find the final 120 degrees will have the tilted horizon.

Is there a way to get a full 360 degree non tilted horizon?

I previously had the P3P and never had this problem.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you tried a midair gimbal calibration?

Your same question has been asked here countless times with the same level of frustration. I too have fought with this issue since first flying my P4, and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it in my opinion. Some days the horizon is straight, some days it's 'relatively' straight, and some days it is way off. Fortunately though, since so many folks struggle with this issue, unless yours is WAY off all of the time, your issue is probably not copter specific but rather an innate design factor.

I had even hoped that the P4P would finally address this issue, but having watched many videos filmed with them as well, I have seen this same tilted horizon.

Having said that, I have been able to keep it bay - so to speak - by performing my IMU calibrations on as perfectly level of a surface as possible. I bought an 18" X 18" piece of 1/4" glass which I place on a table, and using a 4' carpenter's level, I shim the glass plate to level using cards. This process - as I said - seems to help alleviate the issue a bit...

Interestingly, I recall reading a post here (or somewhere) where a Phantom owner claims to have completely resolved his tilted horizon by simply affixing a coin (a nickel I think it was) with double stick tape to the rear lower edge of his camera. I have not tried this, and if anybody has, please let us know if it works.

My brand new P4 straight out of the box had a slight tilted horizon. I performed the IMU calibration on a perfectly flat surface, checked and double checked with a 24" level. The calibration seemed to have corrected the issue a great deal, but still had a slight tilt to it (OCD isn't fun). So I went into the gimble roll and adjusted it a few degrees. When flying fairly slow and in calm winds the horizon is dead straight. I still notice a slight tilt on the horizon in heavy cross winds while moving forward at a fast rate. I have come to the realization, this is just what it is with this current generation of phantoms.

The primary sensor used to determine orientation relative to the ground is the compass. The IMU sensors are used dynamically to provide control inputs to counter changes.

If you're having horizon problems, make sure the compass is calibrated well.

Your same question has been asked here countless times with the same level of frustration. I too have fought with this issue since first flying my P4, and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it in my opinion. Some days the horizon is straight, some days it's 'relatively' straight, and some days it is way off. Fortunately though, since so many folks struggle with this issue, unless yours is WAY off all of the time, your issue is probably not copter specific but rather an innate design factor.

I had even hoped that the P4P would finally address this issue, but having watched many videos filmed with them as well, I have seen this same tilted horizon.

Having said that, I have been able to keep it bay - so to speak - by performing my IMU calibrations on as perfectly level of a surface as possible. I bought an 18" X 18" piece of 1/4" glass which I place on a table, and using a 4' carpenter's level, I shim the glass plate to level using cards. This process - as I said - seems to help alleviate the issue a bit...

Interestingly, I recall reading a post here (or somewhere) where a Phantom owner claims to have completely resolved his tilted horizon by simply affixing a coin (a nickel I think it was) with double stick tape to the rear lower edge of his camera. I have not tried this, and if anybody has, please let us know if it works.

Thank you for your input. What is sad that I had a Phantom 3 Proffesional with absolutely zero tilted horizon. I thought getting a phantom 4 would be an upgrade but it turns out with my tilted horizon, all of my pictures look un proffesional. Also, my video feeds seems to be a LOT more laggy vs my P3P.

Thank you for your input. What is sad that I had a Phantom 3 Proffesional with absolutely zero tilted horizon. I thought getting a phantom 4 would be an upgrade but it turns out with my tilted horizon, all of my pictures look un proffesional. Also, my video feeds seems to be a LOT more laggy vs my P3P.

Interesting. Now that you mention that, my nephew has the P3P, and his photos and videos all display a level horizon. I have also that a Litchi mission with my P4 causes a much more tilted horizon than manual wih Litchi or Go. This would imply that this is some sort of software issue which I have been thinking all along.

Interesting. Now that you mention that, my nephew has the P3P, and his photos and videos all display a level horizon. I have also that a Litchi mission with my P4 causes a much more tilted horizon than manual wih Litchi or Go. This would imply that this is some sort of software issue which I have been thinking all along.

I am going to revert to DJI go app instead of DJI "4" app to see if that changes anything

Ever since i upgraded to the latest firmware i have the horizon tilt, please dont tell me to calibrate the IMU etc.. ive done all that 500 times, nothing fixes this, the gimbal is perfect when i start out, about 2 minutes in and starts slanting, i have to use the gimbal roll to fix but then out of nowhere it reverts back and i have to move the gimbal roll back to 0.0 Its very annoying, one thing i know for sure is this never happened before the latest firmware update, now it does.

Maybe a future update will fix this problem

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic