P4 Manual! Dynamic RTH, NFZ does not apply to Atti mode?

Reaction score
Ok so @George Race has posted a preliminary copy of the P4 manual a few times in the last hour or so, here is the link to one thread:
Phantom 4 operators manual

After a quick skim I see that it says that the P4 will have an option to enable Dynamic RTH like the Inspire 1 has, also the NFZ's restrictions do not apply when flying in Attitude mode.

It seems too good to be true.

nfz.png

It seems too good to be true.

View attachment 46677
Too good to be true? I think it's true with P3P. With ATTI there's no GPS, so how does it know it's in a NFZ? Recently when the craft wouldn't let me take off within 2mi of an airport, I switched to ATTI and took off anyway to get a photo of a friends cabin from 50ft high. I think ATTI works anywhere doesn't it?

GPS is still available/usable while in ATTI mode. However, the Phantom doesn't use it to hold its position.

What's the distance limitation in P mode?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There is no limit. You can fly until you lose the RC signal.

Hmm ... Seems too good but maybe .... Just maybe .... (Until DJI sends up an "update") this may work ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

GPS is still available/usable while in ATTI mode. However, the Phantom doesn't use it to hold its position.
Hmm, If that's the case I wonder why my P3P allowed me to fly in a NFZ in ATTI after refusing to let me start the motors in P mode. What about if I turned off GPS on the iPad (which I didn't do when I flew in a NFZ recently)? I'll have to test this again more extensively, such as taking off in ATTI, switching to P after take-off, etc.

What about if I turned off GPS on the iPad (which I didn't do when I flew in a NFZ recently)?
Your Phantom doesn't use GPS data from your mobile device in order to determine if it's in a NFZ. You'd have to cover the top of your Phantom to block the GPS receiver that's located in the top, center of the shell.

It is possible to block the GPS signal from the drone by fastening aluminum foil on the top. Someone did this successfully and mentioned it on one of the P3 forums. Not a practical long-term solution, but could be used for testing purposes.

Your Phantom doesn't use GPS data from your mobile device in order to determine if it's in a NFZ. You'd have to cover the top of your Phantom to block the GPS receiver that's located in the top, center of the shell.
Yeah, that's what I thought too, since I didn't turn off my iPad GPS, but still flew in a NFZ. How do you explain ATTI letting me fly in a NFZ when P mode restricted the motors from starting? I'm using the latest 1.6 F/W and 2.5 Go app. Have you experienced not being able to start the motors and take off in ATTI mode within a NFZ?

Curious why you would want to fly in a NFZ
Maybe if he has permission to fly from the tower, I suggest you thoroughly research this hobby before you attempt to fly any Phantoms of your own. And be sure you read the manual as well.

Curious why you would want to fly in a NFZ
I was in Big Bear, CA. The airport was on the other side of a mountain, but just 2mil away. I couldn't start motors in P mode because I was just 2mi away perpendicular to the runway from this small airport, not in the flight path. I simply wanted to take a photo of my friends cabin from the tops of the trees, maybe 50-75' high, with Big Bear lake in the background. This cabin is down in a valley, airplanes would never be at treeline in this valley unless crashing from engine failure, at which point it's putting me in danger ;-) It all worked out, but it's more dicey in ATTI than P mode among all the pine trees.

Since then I've got a couple of property managers that want similar photos and video of cabins they want to rent in the area. I turned them down, but just over the next hill I didn't have a NFZ restriction. So I may be doing work there after the FAA gets the 107 program launched.

Last edited:
In ATTI mode you still have GPS lock. That's why RTH still works. This is of course if the Phantom is able to acquire satellites.

All P-GPS does is hold position when stopped. Other than that it's the exact same as ATTI (except for the DJi speed limits and the new info mentioned here). When moving in P-GPS GPS isn't controlling your position as the Phantom will drift during movement even in P-GPS mode.

In ATTI mode you still have GPS lock. That's why RTH still works. This is of course if the Phantom is able to acquire satellites.

All P-GPS does is hold position when stopped. Other than that it's the exact same as ATTI (except for the DJi speed limits and the new info mentioned here). When moving in P-GPS GPS isn't controlling your position as the Phantom will drift during movement even in P-GPS mode.
So if GPS is active in ATTI mode, shouldn't it prevent you from starting motors in a NFZ? My bird flies in NFZ's using ATTI, when at the same place it won't let me start the motors in P mode. Don't all P3P and P3A's operate this same way? Isn't it possible GPS is enabled when RTH is triggered?

So if GPS is active in ATTI mode, shouldn't it prevent you from starting motors in a NFZ? My bird flies in NFZ's using ATTI, when at the same place it won't let me start the motors in P mode. Don't all P3P and P3A's operate this same way? Isn't it possible GPS is enabled when RTH is triggered?

I dunno it depends on what DJi does but GPS lock is active in ATTI. If DJi wanted to they could restrict NFZ flights while in ATTI if they aren't already doing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.