P4 Firmware v02.00.0106 Released (2017-07-06)

I finally had a chance to fly yesterday afternoon after updating everything last week. The updates went very smoothly for me. I updated the copter using Assistant 2, and I updated the remote using GO4 with my iPad Air 2 on WiFi. I then performed IMU, gimbal, and VPS (via Assistant 2) calibrations. I probably didn't need to re-link the remote and copter, but I did this as well.

Poking around in GO4, I noticed that my Sensitivity Setting had all changed as a result of doing this update, so I reset them as shown below:

View attachment 85504

I set EXP of .30 for Gentle, Normal, and Sports modes.

View attachment 85505

Of these three values, Brake Sensitivity is the one that could get you into trouble. I found 75 to be perfect and gentle seeming for the sake of the motors and airframe, but it is muted, and you have to be very careful and aware when approaching an obstacle like a tree branch which Obstacle Avoidance may not see. Once you get used to it though, it works quite well.

View attachment 85506

As I understand it, the Gain settings dictate how the copter will react - on its own - to environmental factors (such as wind and air pressure variables primarily) in order to maintain its stability while flying. Having these set at their maximum or even default values may be one reason that some folks are seeing and hearing the autonomous twitching in flight after this update. I found 85% to be very smooth and steady across the board.

My flight yesterday went well. The wind was blowing fairly steady at approximately 10 kts at the surface and maybe 15-20 kts at 200' which is the highest that I went. I did not observe and/or hear the erratic behavior that some have mentioned. I did get frequent wind warnings on my iPad Air 2 - which I found very annoying - and I can see how this would be a bothersome issue using a smaller screen like an iPhone.

My first takeoff was from the lid of my carrying case, and the copter was at a slight (maybe 3 degree) angle. I noticed that my horizon was tilted the whole flight at about this same angle, and I was not able to adjust it with the C2 / Rt Scroll Wheel combo. It seems that this handy method of 'on the fly' horizon adjustment is now gone. I was also not able to adjust it via the Gimbal Roll adjuster in the GO4 app. The numbers did change as I attempted to do so, but there was no change in the copter's gimbal angle.

On the second flight, prior to taking off from the same location (and at the same angle), I performed a Gimbal Calibration. This time, the horizon was spot on, and all attempts that I made to make it tilt (360 yaws, flying sideways, and a combination of both) resulted in the horizon remaining spot on. I can only guess that this is due to the fact that I performed my post-update IMU calibration on a verified level surface, and the gimbal calibrated itself (in the field) to those values - regardless of the fact that the copter was sitting tilted at the time. This is something that I am very happy about, and it has been a long time coming.

I am also very happy about Tripod Mode. The speed of the copter in all directions is perfect for smooth filming of static or slow moving subjects, and I can see this as proving very useful.

As far as battery life, I saw no real difference. I did two 8-minute flights on one (standard) battery with the Gimbal Calibration between them, and I finished with 48% on the pack.

So, last thoughts. IMO, the greatest benefits of this update are a seemingly more level horizon and the addition of Tripod Mode. I also encourage those who are having issues to tweak your Sensitivity Settings a bit and see if things improve.

I hope it helps!
Tried your suggestions on my nervous phantom 4, I really thought you was onto something but unfortunately my drone still acts like a nervous horse.

Wish I'd never upgraded, my drone used to fly perfectly and I had the utmost trust in it no matter what winds it was flying in.

It can't even fly properly in near perfect weather with little or no wind, very annoyed!

Tried your suggestions on my nervous phantom 4, I really thought you was onto something but unfortunately my drone still acts like a nervous horse.

Wish I'd never upgraded, my drone used to fly perfectly and I had the utmost trust in it no matter what winds it was flying in.

It can't even fly properly in near perfect weather with little or no wind, very annoyed!

Its rock solid on the older fw i know what you mean, hopefully dji will issue a fix within the next few days.

Reactions: IKW
Its rock solid on the older fw i know what you mean, hopefully dji will issue a fix within the next few days.
Spoke to them today again, I don't think the fix will be coming anytime soon, probably be a while before they sort this one.

Spoke to them today again, I don't think the fix will be coming anytime soon, probably be a while before they sort this one.

I just dont get it, whats the point in betas if they dont fix the bugs before releasing it publicly, sounds like its the beta version, or do you think the update needs to be done in some specific order (ie rc, ac....) but ive read loads about removing sd cards and taking batteries out before turning back on etc i mean the main forums on dji are all fw issues (nothing new lol) but then you see good feedback and your like "whats he or she done that i didnt) must be some trick around it!

I just dont get it, whats the point in betas if they dont fix the bugs before releasing it publicly, sounds like its the beta version....

The beta version worked fine for me, and the release version also works fine, I don't know what is causing the problems for those who are obviously having issues, but it is not a universal problem so something must be different...

Just a wild thought, are those of you with major problems using the DJI HDMI module?

I think it's down to individual drones, there seems more in our position than successful attempts.

I have tried all the tips, none work my drone is screwed up and so is my head with it all.

I updated the RC First then the drone, DJI even had me refreshing the firmware with no SD card in, then re calibration of IMU and compas and flying with no memory card in, but as you can guess that was a total waste of time.

Unfortunately we are in DJI hands now and waiting for corrected firmware sometime in the future.

The beta version worked fine for me, and the release version also works fine, I don't know what is causing the problems for those who are obviously having issues, but it is not a universal problem so something must be different...

Just a wild thought, are those of you with major problems using the DJI HDMI module?

Yeah something has to tie, what have the bad update drones got in common? Seems everyone is busy complaining, need to start coming together to find what links the good and the bad.

I have no hdmi but still on the last fw, do you think it has something to do with that.

I don't have a HDMI module, my drone is a standard phantom 4,purchased August 2016, it's terrible since the update,

What's your model type and purchase date

I think it's down to individual drones, there seems more in our position than successful attempts.

I have tried all the tips, none work my drone is screwed up and so is my head with it all.

I updated the RC First then the drone, DJI even had me refreshing the firmware with no SD card in, then re calibration of IMU and compas and flying with no memory card in, but as you can guess that was a total waste of time.

Unfortunately we are in DJI hands now and waiting for corrected firmware sometime in the future.

Feel your pain, remember rolling an old p3 back from 1.8 to 1.5 and got the compass calibration error and took all day to fix, emotional day I'd rather forget hana

Reactions: Tobrouk
I don't have a HDMI module, my drone is a standard phantom 4,purchased August 2016, it's terrible since the update,

What's your model type and purchase date

I got my P4 in March last year, no HDMI module and no problems.

I got my P4 in March last year, no HDMI module and no problems.
Maybe we are on a similar production batch, it's mad how some work and others don't but they display all the same symptoms when they don't work
Maybe the ESC's are a different design to those that are working, I really can't understand it, but DJI admitted it's a big problem when I rang them.

Maybe we are all blaming the drones, it could be down to the radio control units that's got messed up

Mine is June 1, 2017 standard P4. Its messed up. After 3 hrs of arguing w/ dji tech support they want it back. Sending tomorrow. I'll be sure to update when I get it back.

Mine is June 1, 2017 standard P4. Its messed up. After 3 hrs of arguing w/ dji tech support they want it back. Sending tomorrow. I'll be sure to update when I get it back.

I'm curious whether anyone who has sent a P4 back to DJI on this issue has received back a "fixed" P4.

for what it's worth I'm also have slight issues with the new download .1. did a RTH tonight had preset alt at 35M bird was at 300' when i hit RTH it just flew back at the alt is was at, not going to the preset alt first then went to landing 2. i see the props now a lot more when flying seems the flight attitude is changed .3. getting weak video transmission where i never had it before . it's definitely a downgrade , 4. flight is not at smooth . maybe it's to make tripod mode seem better . even after adjusting sensitivity . IMO the bird is not flying as well as before the up-date , damm the extra features i'd rather have it fly the way it did before . I'm going to express my displeasure with DJI Tomorrow ,put them on notice of issues and that their up-date has made the drone less reliable

I would say it's needed to 'think out of the box' as too many users are impacted and not happy at all.

### Make available again last previous firmware version on DJI servers and tell customers to use Assistant2 ###

Gives more time and less pressure for dev teams to review what has been changed in the code, compare sources etc. They should find what is different and possibly impacting. Nothing magic but complex indeed. Then go beta test with a craft who has the issue. Sure they will find one right?

I don't have a HDMI module, my drone is a standard phantom 4, purchased July 2016. I have ALL the issues

for what it's worth I'm also have slight issues with the new download .1. did a RTH tonight had preset alt at 35M bird was at 300' when i hit RTH it just flew back at the alt is was at, not going to the preset alt first then went to landing 2. i see the props now a lot more when flying seems the flight attitude is changed .3. getting weak video transmission where i never had it before . it's definitely a downgrade , 4. flight is not at smooth . maybe it's to make tripod mode seem better . even after adjusting sensitivity . IMO the bird is not flying as well as before the up-date , damm the extra features i'd rather have it fly the way it did before . I'm going to express my displeasure with DJI Tomorrow ,put them on notice of issues and that their up-date has made the drone less reliable
Good luck with that one mate, I've been in touch twice on phone and numerous times via online, they aren't quick to fix

Update rc and Phantom 4 today. Everything work well. I am lucky

You are a lucky one, what procedure did you use to do it, also when did you get your phantom 4, is it a standard or pro etc
Just trying to work out how some work but others don't

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl