p3s - rth vs smart rth

Reaction score
have been reading and searching with no definitive answer on the difference, if any, for rth and smart rth for the p3s. my searches all lead to obstacle avoidance being on or off for the more expensive birds. i did get some info saying that smart rth , if enabled, kicks in due to battery levels, but i thought "normal" rth did the same thing ?

MacPhantom is incorrect. Pages 11 and 12 of the owners manual pretty well covers it. Here's the first paragraph:

"The Return-to-Home (RTH) procedure brings the aircraft back to the last recorded Home Point. There are three types of RTH procedures: Smart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH."

The chapter does a good job of describing each. Smart RTH is when the pilot initiates RTH. Low Battery RTH is self-explanatory. Failsafe RTH is triggered by loss of signal.

Reactions: Squirrel!
thanks for the responses guys. and i did read and reread the manual. so smart rth is not auto initiated by battery level vs distance from homepoint ? sorry for not quite understanding the wording.

Yeah, that was quick, I have always had Smart RTH turned off, (I thought), and it always worked as they say in the instructions flicking the S2 switch, Hum....

Rod

Hum, I look at my settings when I get home.

Rod

If smartRTH was user initiated RTH, why would there be a setting to disable it?
Really SmartRTH is dynamically determining when RTH should initiate based on battery level and distance from home.
Fail-safe is a separate function that takes a pre-selected action when signal is lost. RTH is one of the available functions, hover and land are the other two.
Manual RTH is hitting the button/switch on the RC or button on app.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

If smartRTH was user initiated RTH, why would there be a setting to disable it?
Long distance types disable it, especially going one way. Or taking a punt on a long litchi mission.

Really SmartRTH is dynamically determining when RTH should initiate based on battery level and distance from home.
Fail-safe is a separate function that takes a pre-selected action when signal is lost. RTH is one of the available functions, hover and land are the other two.
Manual RTH is hitting the button/switch on the RC or button on app.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just looked at all my settings, Go and Litchi, I say the manual for DJI-Go (What a stupid name, Sales must came up with that) is incorrect. I have posted before the manual was written in CC (Confusing Chinese), and translated to broken English, I was wrong Broken, and Missing Phantoms.

Rod

For the record, I understand and appreciate the confusion on some of these items.

As one of multiple examples I've reviewed... the manual and one of the DJI official YouTube videos (with "Ty") are contradictory.

The manual says to toggle S2, but doesn't specify if that's once or more. The video says to toggle it 2x or more. Combine that with toggling S1 for 3 or 5 or 10 times for this or that, as well as the fact that the switches both have other purposes...

Then you can toggle again to cancel, but how many times? And remember that RTH can't be triggered if you are within X metres or feet or whatever of wherever while you try to do the conversion...

Bearing in mind all this is happening during what is likely an emergency, or at least a "situation", and I can appreciate that people turn to a forum for clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You are describing the "Smart Return-to-Home" feature. It has a similar name, but it's not the same thing as Smart RTH.

@msinger, clear this up, Please!

Rod

Added: I picked a bad week to quit drinking. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Neon Euc
How can it be different? RTH stands for Return To Home.
"Smart RTH" is when you manually initiate RTH and your Phantom flies back to the home point.

The "Smart Return-to-Home" feature is not documented in the Phantom manual. It can be found in the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" section of DJI GO. When enabled and your Phantom only has enough battery power to make it back to the home point, DJI GO will display a prompt to alert you that RTH is going to be auto initiated in 10 seconds. If you do nothing, RTH will be auto initiated and your Phantom will fly back to the home point.

Thanks, @msinger, It feels like I got a Hang Over, my head hurts..:rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: jwmcgrath

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers