P3S Disconnecting from Controller (and more)

Reaction score
My Phantom 3 Standard has recently started disconnecting from the controller...at least I think that's what I'm happening. Perhaps it's the controller losing connectivity...nor sure.

When I go through the startup process (controller 1st, then drone, then wifi and then DJI Go app,) everything seems fine for about 30 seconds. Then the aircraft shows "disconnected" in the red bar at the top, and I also notice the green light on the remote has changed from green to RED. after another 30 seconds or so the drone connects again and the light on the controller goes back to green. This connected/disconnected scenario continues indefinitely...as long as I keep everything powered up.

Even with the intermittent connection issue, I was able to start the drone and fly it, I just flew basically without the DJI Go app.

Also, as a side note (just to provide ALL info,) I do not have a camera connected to this P3S any longer but I do have the gimbal attached and the two 2.4GHz UFL connectors connected to the gimbal. It has flown normally without a camera for quite some time - it just displays "no Image Transmission Signal" due to no camera but the connection was constant and all telemetry worked normally as well.

Lastly, I recently had a crash onto the upper part of a tree (leaves and branches - not the trunk) that didn't appear to do any noticeable damage to the exterior of the drone but I could not get it restarted afterward. I took the upper shell off and noticed the Compass connector had come loose from the board. after reading many posts about the difficulty and extensive proficiency with a soldering iron that is required to repair/reconnect the connector back to the board, I decided to buy a new main board (motors and all soldering connections done) that just required plugging in cables and UFL connectors.

The new board arrived yesterday. I carefully installed it and made all the necessary connections. I went through the startup process with the new board in place and the intermittent connected/disconnected issue is still occurring. at one point, during a brief period of connectivity, I pressed the "Takeoff" button and did the "slide to takeoff" and received a warning message that reads "activate aircraft and restart."

I tried signing out of the DJI Go app and created a new account in hopes of a successful activation, but the same warning continues. I noticed that the new main board has a micro sd card installed on the underside of it. I wonder if I should remove it and insert the micro sd on the board I was using up until my crash last week.

It seems to me that I might have two separate issues here...#1, the connect/disconnect problem and #2, the activation of the new main board. I mention it because I don't know if correcting one issue might possibly solve problems. It seems like the connection issue needs to be solved if I am ever going to be able to activate the new board.

Any suggestions on what could be causing these issues would be very much appreciated. This rises above my level of knowledge relative to my Phantom 3 Standard!

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    473.7 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
My Phantom 3 Standard has recently started disconnecting from the controller...at least I think that's what I'm happening. Perhaps it's the controller losing connectivity...nor sure.

When I go through the startup process (controller 1st, then drone, then wifi and then DJI Go app,) everything seems fine for about 30 seconds. Then the aircraft shows "disconnected" in the red bar at the top, and I also notice the green light on the remote has changed from green to RED. after another 30 seconds or so the drone connects again and the light on the controller goes back to green. This connected/disconnected scenario continues indefinitely...as long as I keep everything powered up.

Even with the intermittent connection issue, I was able to start the drone and fly it, I just flew basically without the DJI Go app.

Also, as a side note (just to provide ALL info,) I do not have a camera connected to this P3S any longer but I do have the gimbal attached and the two 2.4GHz UFL connectors connected to the gimbal. It has flown normally without a camera for quite some time - it just displays "no Image Transmission Signal" due to no camera but the connection was constant and all telemetry worked normally as well.

Lastly, I recently had a crash onto the upper part of a tree (leaves and branches - not the trunk) that didn't appear to do any noticeable damage to the exterior of the drone but I could not get it restarted afterward. I took the upper shell off and noticed the Compass connector had come loose from the board. after reading many posts about the difficulty and extensive proficiency with a soldering iron that is required to repair/reconnect the connector back to the board, I decided to buy a new main board (motors and all soldering connections done) that just required plugging in cables and UFL connectors.

The new board arrived yesterday. I carefully installed it and made all the necessary connections. I went through the startup process with the new board in place and the intermittent connected/disconnected issue is still occurring. at one point, during a brief period of connectivity, I pressed the "Takeoff" button and did the "slide to takeoff" and received a warning message that reads "activate aircraft and restart."

I tried signing out of the DJI Go app and created a new account in hopes of a successful activation, but the same warning continues. I noticed that the new main board has a micro USB card installed on the underside of it. I wonder if I should remove it and insert the micro USB on the board I was using up until my crash last week.

It seems to me that I might have two separate issues here...#1, the connect/disconnect problem and #2, the activation of the new main board. I mention it because I don't know if correcting one issue might possibly solve problems. It seems like the connection issue needs to be solved if I am ever going to be able to activate the new board.

Any suggestions on what could be causing these issues would be very much appreciated. This rises above my level of knowledge relative to my Phantom 3 Standard!

Hi! i hope u get all this fixed. I just wanna ask, how big is the sd thats on the main board?

I tried signing out of the DJI Go app and created a new account in hopes of a successful activation, but the same warning continues. I noticed that the new main board has a micro USB card installed on the underside of it. I wonder if I should remove it and insert the micro USB on the board I was using up until my crash last week.

It sounds like you need to register your aircraft because you replaced it's brain. It might think it's a new drone. Follow this link to activate your drone:
An All-in-One Setup Guide for the Phantom 3 Standard

Hi! i hope u get all this fixed. I just wanna ask, how big is the sd thats on the main board?

It is a Sandisk 4GB, exactly the same as the micro sd card that is in the board I just removed to install the new one.

It sounds like you need to register your aircraft because you replaced it's brain. It might think it's a new drone. Follow this link to activate your drone:
An All-in-One Setup Guide for the Phantom 3 Standard

When I tried to register the aircraft, I uninstalled and reinstalled the DJI Go app Then, after going through the startup protocol (controller, P3S, wifi & app,) I even created a new account with a different email account. After doing all that to make absolutely sure the DJI Go app had no previous knowledge of me/my P3S, it didn't take me through the registration process as outlined in the video link you provided. It asked my gender, my country and allowed me to create a name for the drone but nothing about the drones performance options and nothing about disconnecting from Phantom wifi and connecting to home wifi to complete registration. When I switched to my home wifi and launched the DJI Go app, it simply told me "how to connect" to the Phantom wifi.

Oh, it did have an orange bar at the top of the app referncing a firmware update (who knows what firmware version is on the sd card on the new board) but I skipped that step because it seems like every post I read about firmware updates is so negative that you can't help but conclude that you will be worse off AFTER updating.

I think I will try removing the micro sd card that came with the new board and installing the card from the board I just removed. It seems that could solve the activation issue. Agree? disagree? Please explain.

Also, with the connected/disconnected problem occuring with the old main board and now with the new board (new to me), it seems that the common denominator is the controller. Perhaps there is an issue there. Agree? Disagree? Please explain.

I know the great experts in this forum can offer some good possible causes for these issues that I would never think of.

PLEASE KEEP THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS COMING!! I NEED YOUR HELP!!

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Well, I removed the micro sd card that came installed in the new main board and inserted the card from the main board I recently removed because the Compass connector broke off. Inserting my old micro sd card into the new main board did NOT correct the warning issue. During a 30 second cycle when the drone was connected, I performed the "Slide to Takeoff" and still received the message: Warning, please activate the aircraft and restart." I'm at a loss here.

Reactions: Bingobongo
I think the SD card that is on the main board is the drones "black box" and records flight information etc.
So im pretty sure it has not anything to do with the activation problem or the connection issue.
As far is i know the GO app should ask you to activate the craft before you even can get into the camera view, so it sounds something isnt quite right?

And if you have connection issues with both boards it sounds to me as the remote controller possibly can have an issue?
Have you spoken with DJI?

I think the SD card that is on the main board is the drones "black box" and records flight information etc.
So im pretty sure it has not anything to do with the activation problem or the connection issue.
As far is i know the GO app should ask you to activate the craft before you even can get into the camera view, so it sounds something isnt quite right?

And if you have connection issues with both boards it sounds to me as the remote controller possibly can have an issue?

I completely agree regarding the controller being the common denominator here...I made that same argument in one of my posts above. Since my P3S is no longer warrantied, I assumed that DJI would not offer any assistance with this issue. I am constantly reading about horrible service form them for people who are still covered (1st year,) as well as those with DJI Care.

I have removed the back of the controller and can see no obvious issues (breaks, connections, etc.) Since I have a new main board, I am considering purchasing a new controller just out of curiosity, simply because I can't think of anything else to try.

I've had 135 views of my thread and I am certain a great majority of them are much more knowlegeable than me regarding DJI drones, and it appears to be a mystery to them as well.

I have a Mavic Pro and a Yuneec Q500 Drifter (Ok, the "Drifter" part is my name for it because that's what it does when you release the sticks!) but I learned to fly with the P3S in ATTI Mode, so I love it and REALLY don't want to give up on it. I'm sure many fellow drone owners know exactly what I mean!

Thanks for your thoughts. Please keep them coming!

I’m only asking because I haven’t seen it in your posts (I’m also new to drones and just replaced the esc board and motors due to burned chip, long story). Have you done a reconnect between the controller and new board? (Turn on RC and AC, push connection button on bottom of AC for 2 seconds until it starts blinking, rotate gimbal switch down and hold, flip left side toggle switch up and down at least 3 times until beeping starts. Let RC and AC relink with each other. Beeping will stop, all lights on RC will be green, reconnect button will be solid green.

I’m only asking because I haven’t seen it in your posts (I’m also new to drones and just replaced the esc board and motors due to burned chip, long story). Have you done a reconnect between the controller and new board? (Turn on RC and AC, push connection button on bottom of AC for 2 seconds until it starts blinking, rotate gimbal switch down and hold, flip left side toggle switch up and down at least 3 times until beeping starts. Let RC and AC relink with each other. Beeping will stop, all lights on RC will be green, reconnect button will be solid green.
@Mtn Boy, I've got the same problem as @ccc124 with the connect/disconnect issue and I tried the method you suggested and still get the connect/disconnect error. AC experienced a crash and I'm in the process of repairing it (need a new camera/gimbal assembly). When it WAS flying, I would get a lot of "Strong Interference" warnings, even when I was flying way out in the 'boonies', nowhere near power lines, etc. (still getting that on the DJI GO app during the intermittent times that it's connected). Is there a way to (for lack of the correct term) "mute" or disable those - is that from the app, or something in the RC or AC?

Last edited:
@Mtn Boy, I've got the same problem as @ccc124 with the connect/disconnect issue and I tried the method you suggested and still get the connect/disconnect error. AC experienced a crash and I'm in the process of repairing it (need a new camera/gimbal assembly). When it WAS flying, I would get a lot of "Strong Interference" warnings, even when I was flying way out in the 'boonies', nowhere near power lines, etc. (still getting that on the DJI GO app during the intermittent times that it's connected). Is there a way to (for lack of the correct term) "mute" or disable those - is that from the app, or something in the RC or AC?
Is it possible that my iPhone 11's Bluetooth (which I use to connect to my hearing aids, to allow me to hear phone calls and gather diagnostic info about how long I've been wearing them each day, etc.) is causing the interference warnings? Maybe if I put my phone into Airplane Mode and just connected the WiFi to the drone, it might reduce or eliminate them? Saw that in one of the DJI forums.

Is it possible that my iPhone 11's Bluetooth (which I use to connect to my hearing aids, to allow me to hear phone calls and gather diagnostic info about how long I've been wearing them each day, etc.) is causing the interference warnings? Maybe if I put my phone into Airplane Mode and just connected the WiFi to the drone, it might reduce or eliminate them? Saw that in one of the DJI forums.
Nope. Tried turning off my Bluetooth, then putting the phone on Airplane Mode, then connecting to the drone's WiFi, and still getting the "Strong interference" warnings; part of it is because I'm at home and near my home's WiFi, but still getting it.

Also still getting the connect/disconnect issue.

Last edited:
OK, a couple of pictures (closeups) of the antenna connections on the main board. Someone on a DJI forum mentioned that I should check them. While doing that, I accidentally pulled one of them loose from the silicone, but the connection itself seemed solid.
Main board antenna connections closeup 1.JPG
Main board antenna connections closeup 2.JPG

Main board antenna connections.JPG

I'm guessing that the unit above them with the holes in the chassis is the transceiver module. I was not getting the connect/disconnect issue until after it crashed. Connects/disconnects again about every 30 seconds or so.

I also haven't been able to find a decent (yet as inexpensive as possible, as I'm limited on funds) used or new camera/gimbal replacement (P3S) on Fleabay that either isn't 'sold out' of them or "needs repairs" or is way more expensive than I can afford.

Last edited:
I also haven't been able to find a decent (yet as inexpensive as possible, as I'm limited on funds) used or new camera/gimbal replacement (P3S) on Fleabay that either isn't 'sold out' of them or "needs repairs".
Ok I was reading,,,um is your cam off the drone at moment.? What colour is link light on drone,,it must be goin green and red when it disconnects,,,I'm thinking it cant link since you have tryed to relink it,,,the drone will stay linked if cam off or broken BUT if you try to link with no camera on ,it wont relink because of the linking process you try,it will become not linked which might explain the disconnect, if the remote light is goin red I think this is what's happening
I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm sure that's how they work

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I was reading,,,um is your cam off the drone at moment.? What colour is link light on drone,,it must be goin green and red when it disconnects,,,I'm thinking it cant link since you have tryed to relink it,,,the drone will stay linked if cam off or broken BUT if you try to link with no camera on ,it wont relink because of the linking process you try,it will become not linked which might explain the disconnect, if the remote light is goin red I think this is what's happening
I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm sure that's how they work
Yes, camera is off the drone (yaw arm got bent and roll motor ring (that attaches to the roll motor) split and camera fell off during the crash, thus severing the ribbon cable in the process. Link light on the drone itself is steady green, but the controller's light alternates (as I said, about every 20-30 seconds) between red (disconnected) and green (connected). App shows alternately, "Aircraft disconnected", "Aircraft connected" and while it's connected, I get telemetry but no video signal (duh), but no telemetry while it's disconnected.

Dji will no longer supply support for these problems. I have 2 of these and up until two weeks ago I could link either controller to either drone manually. Now I can't get either drone to link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31