P3Pro Still Images better than P4?

Reaction score
Hello again!
I recently sold my P3Pro to “upgrade” to the Phantom 4. However; the first thing I noticed was I can no longer download the “original photo” on the new app associated with the P4. Saved it anyways. Now, looking at the same areas (above my home) that I previously took photos with the P3Pro; the P4’s photos are garbage. Seriously. You can’t zoom in, it’s just blurry where the same exact photos on the P3P would be clear and sharp.
I have all of the camera settings exactly the same. Both in “HDR”.
What am I missing? Is the P3P’s camera better than the P4’s?

Hello again!
I recently sold my P3Pro to “upgrade” to the Phantom 4. However; the first thing I noticed was I can no longer download the “original photo” on the new app associated with the P4. Saved it anyways. Now, looking at the same areas (above my home) that I previously took photos with the P3Pro; the P4’s photos are garbage. Seriously. You can’t zoom in, it’s just blurry where the same exact photos on the P3P would be clear and sharp.
I have all of the camera settings exactly the same. Both in “HDR”.
What am I missing? Is the P3P’s camera better than the P4’s?
Sounds like you are looking at a low res cached copy. Did you try offloading the original from the SD card?

I also just upgraded from P3P to P4 and the P4 images is a bit sharper and the colors seem a little better so something not right.

However there is a lot more lens flares on the P4 images. Very annoying. What's up with that?

Sounds like you are looking at a low res cached copy. Did you try offloading the original from the SD card?

No, not just yet. I could download them from the old app (with the P3Pro) but cannot download them through the new app. Is that just a lost feature?

No, not just yet. I could download them from the old app (with the P3Pro) but cannot download them through the new app. Is that just a lost feature?
The normal way to get your images is to pop the SD card, put it in an adapter, put that in your computer and copy the files across.
Anything else is much slower and more complicated.
I also just upgraded from P3P to P4 and the P4 images is a bit sharper and the colors seem a little better so something not right.

However there is a lot more lens flares on the P4 images. Very annoying. What's up with that?
The P3 and P4 have the same camera.
Any differences you see are imaginary.
You need to go to the P4 pro to get an improved camera.

Do you have side by side comparison shots of the same subject under the same conditions?

No. And I don't really need them. I could right away tell there was a difference when I took the first pictures. And later on when I read the manual it was confirmed.

IMG_0576.jpg

But doesn’t it also say there were physical improvements to the lens?
Yes.. some change to the lens that reduces chromatic aberration by 56% and lens distortion by 36%.
The firmware tweak is to reduce the FoV considerably when shooting video at 120 fps.

But ... have you ever heard anyone complaining about the chromatic aberration or lens distortion for the P3 pro?
Would you know how to measure chromatic aberration or lens distortion?
Would you know what a 56% reduction of chromatic aberration or 36% lens distortion looks like?
No-one does - but it sounds very impressive as marketing spin even though the visible differences in image quality are close to zero.
You make more change in your post production that these lens changes did.
Enough that it's visible
If you want to see the difference, you would need side by side comparison shots and even then I'd challenge anyone to find any visible differences.

Yes.. some change to the lens that reduces chromatic aberration by 56% and lens distortion by 36%.
The firmware tweak is to reduce the FoV considerably when shooting video at 120 fps.

But ... have you ever heard anyone complaining about the chromatic aberration or lens distortion for the P3 pro?
Would you know how to measure chromatic aberration or lens distortion?
Would you know what a 56% reduction of chromatic aberration or 36% lens distortion looks like?
No-one does - but it sounds very impressive as marketing spin even though the visible differences in image quality are close to zero.
You make more change in your post production that these lens changes did.

If you want to see the difference, you would need side by side comparison shots and even then I'd challenge anyone to find any visible differences.
I’m not vouching here for whether or not the differences are measurable in this case. But as a photographer I’ve read many test reports and articles through the years which measure chromatic abberation and distortion. Although I suspect it may be more credible if they said what kind of distortion.

I’m not vouching here for whether or not the differences are measurable in this case. But as a photographer I’ve read many test reports and articles through the years which measure chromatic abberation and distortion. Although I suspect it may be more credible if they said what kind of distortion.
What they've said is like a breakfast cereal maker who's product last year had only 2% fat.
This year it's got 1% fat - hardly any difference, but to the marketing people that means 50% less fat!!!
Chromatic aberration and lens distortion were not big problems with the P3.
No-one ever complained about them because no-one ever noticed them, because they were tiny issues
The marketing spin is close to meaningless.
And the P3 pro and P4 cameras are essentially the same camera with no differences that anyone could see..

Reactions: Loz
What they've said is like a breakfast cereal maker who's product last year had only 2% fat.
This year it's got 1% fat - hardly any difference, but to the marketing people that means 50% less fat!!!
Chromatic aberration and lens distortion were not big problems with the P3.
No-one ever complained about them because no-one ever noticed them, because they were tiny issues
The marketing spin is close to meaningless.
And the P3 pro and P4 cameras are essentially the same camera with no differences that anyone could see..
1% Milk vs 2% Milk - Difference

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31