P3P fell out of the sky returning to me with 3% battery, what could have happened?

If we remember, the P3P had issues with falling out of the sky on low battery.
They all do, if you exceed the minimum voltage per cell which is approx. 3.2v. It will shut down the battery. This is only the Phantom's in that range. ?

I'm pretty sure 3.0V is the shut down voltage for P3P.
Notice I did say "approximately". 200mv can easily be exceeded on a single cell. It most likely relates for the timing of "how long" that value is exceeded before the battery shuts down. No direct evidence or data for that just IMO.

The normal RC deciding factor for shut down is not FW or SW ... its the ESC itself controlling the motor. This is fact for ALL normal E-powered RC. For normal RC models - user can set his LVC (Low Voltage Cut-off) anywhere from 3.2 to 3.5V ... but DJI have not given us access for that. The motor cut-off with a Phantom is ~3.0V due to the battery control board itself shutting down to protect the cells.

DJI interpose voltage steps that we usually state as % charge ... the defaults of course being 30% low level warning ... 10% critical. Anyone who has ventured into the range of 10 to 20% can attest to the fact of lip biting ... a*** clenching nervousness that you pray you get the AC home !! It is also noted that the % is not based on individual cells - but on TOTAL voltage - which can lead to problems if one or more cells are weak ... the individual cells can drop lower causing shut down ....

The solution of course is to NOT fly into the low levels of battery charge ... and a second advantage if you fly to 30 - 35% charge and land ... you are at excellent storage charge level when battery rests. Rested battery will often pick up ~5% giving you 35 - 40% rested level. No need to fluff about charging to storage. Its already at Prime Storage level.

Last edited:
There is no way that drone would be flying at 3% unless you are forcing it up. It's 10% or 6% critical battery warning,the drone will begin to land where it is unless you force it.

There is no way that drone would be flying at 3% unless you are forcing it up. It's 10% or 6% critical battery warning,the drone will begin to land where it is unless you force it.
He was returning it to home when it ceased operation! Agree, it wouldn't even boot up at that level.

I have a feeling he may have read 3V per cell and typed here 3% .... the two are NOT the same.

"P3P fell out of the sky returning to me with 3% battery, what could have happened?"

I recently tried to buy a new battery from dji for my P4 with an expired credit card and the sale was rejected by them. What could have happened?

"P3P fell out of the sky returning to me with 3% battery, what could have happened?"

I recently tried to buy a new battery from dji for my P4 with an expired credit card and the sale was rejected by them. What could have happened?
No need for such sarcasm - the OP is only 15 and seeking help. As has been said, a steep learning curve!

That would be politically incorrect and gender biased. " Here's yur sign "
Political correctness is a bunch of nonsense. We have enough drone rules, why do random people with no authority come up with a thousand new rules every day of words we can't say? I say whatever I was allowed to say 10 years ago.

Americans are dumb.

BTW I am an American.

• Haha
Reactions: Shoot4fun
I say whatever I was allowed to say 10 years ago.

At 7 years old, that is not a far fetched comment. As you get older you will realize that. And BTW the comment had nothing to do with "Drone Rules". It was directed in jest @Shoot4fun . Just to clarify.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Been there, done that.
Just over riding RTH cuz I "know" I can get a few more minutes of flight.
Then full throttle back home as it begins to descend, which burns even more fuel.
At great height, I hear motors......then silence.
A few seconds later, it hits the desert floor so hard, I had to search for the camera.
Oh well, lesson learned, hasn't happened since.
Not to mention that I was chasing a boat with my P4P in sport mode, must have had a finger slightly resting on the down stick when I see water approaching the screen, then nothing.
Pushed RTH and hoped....and hoped....and packed up an empty rolling case and called it a day.
Lesson 3: Never show off for friends in a suburban neighborhood with your I1. Trees jump out of nowhere.
Lesson 4: Never do a Point of Interest with your I2 without checking tree clearances first or have a visual observer. They don't have sideways obstacle avoidance.
Plus a few more that just come with experience and lots of air time.

Been there, done that.
Just over riding RTH cuz I "know" I can get a few more minutes of flight.
Then full throttle back home as it begins to descend, which burns even more fuel.
At great height, I hear motors......then silence.
A few seconds later, it hits the desert floor so hard, I had to search for the camera.
Oh well, lesson learned, hasn't happened since.
Not to mention that I was chasing a boat with my P4P in sport mode, must have had a finger slightly resting on the down stick when I see water approaching the screen, then nothing.
Pushed RTH and hoped....and hoped....and packed up an empty rolling case and called it a day.
Lesson 3: Never show off for friends in a suburban neighborhood with your I1. Trees jump out of nowhere.
Lesson 4: Never do a Point of Interest with your I2 without checking tree clearances first or have a visual observer. They don't have sideways obstacle avoidance.
Plus a few more that just come with experience and lots of air time.
Very poetic.

My P3P fell out of the sky returning home with 3% battery. I had flown like 4 km and all of a sudden the thing just DROPS out of the sky and disconnects! It had landed upside down, and the battery still turns on (3% before it fell), however I'm scared to take it back out without retrieving the FLY###.DAT files and checking to see if it's all OK.

DJI GO didn't record the flight data log (I've checked my phone) and all I can think of is "What happened?".

There isn't any physical damage to anything, however the body slightly unclipped. What actions should I take?
Never fly below 20%

I have my low battery warning set at 30% and RTH at 20% but always start my own come home, depending on how far the drone is away from,at the 30%. Better safe than sorry!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik