P3P drops from sky into Mississippi flood, flood wins

Hi, something similar happened to me and DJI reckons it was a battery fault. Here's the email they sent me. I've just sent my p3p to them at a cost of £76 (uk sterling). No word yet if they'll cover the cost of freight. The p3p dropped out the sky from 40m onto concrete and is totalled. Gimbal smashed to pieces, shell cracked, legs broken etc. When I attempted to pull data off it at DJI's request the board popped (large blue spark from inside shell) so that'll be goosed too. Battery was showing 56%, full GPS etc. No warnings, just flew 100m forward over backyard field, returned and it simply switched off as it flew overhead.....

support.eu5 (DJI)
1月4日 17:40

Dear Nick,

We have evaluated your flight records and it is indeed an drone error, and we will take full responsibility.
It turns out the battery cut off.
To apply for your repair we require the following information:

Product (Inspire or Phantom):
Serial number of the drone:
Serial number of the remote:
Serial number of the gimbal:
A short description of the problem:

Full name:
Address:
E-mail:
Phone:
And a copy of your receipt.
For warranty services it is most important that you keep your receipt handy.

We will apply the repair for you and we will send you an email back with your RMA form.

With Kind Regards,

DJI Support EU
Stefan

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, something similar happened to me and DJI reckons it was a battery fault. Here's the email they sent me. I've just sent my p3p to them at a cost of £76 (uk sterling). No word yet if they'll cover the cost of freight. The p3p dropped out the sky from 40m onto concrete and is totalled. Gimbal smashed to pieces, shell cracked, legs broken etc. When I attempted to pull data off it at DJI's request the board popped (large blue spark from inside shell) so that'll be goosed too. Battery was showing 56%, full GPS etc. No warnings, just flew 100m forward over backyard field, returned and it simply switched off as it flew overhead.....

support.eu5 (DJI)
1月4日 17:40

Dear Nick,

We have evaluated your flight records and it is indeed an drone error, and we will take full responsibility.
It turns out the battery cut off.
To apply for your repair we require the following information:

Product (Inspire or Phantom):
Serial number of the drone:
Serial number of the remote:
Serial number of the gimbal:
A short description of the problem:

Full name:
Address:
E-mail:
Phone:
And a copy of your receipt.
For warranty services it is most important that you keep your receipt handy.

We will apply the repair for you and we will send you an email back with your RMA form.

With Kind Regards,

DJI Support EU
Stefan

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Man that's great Dji got back to u and even told u what and why the cause of your crash. Same happened to my p3p sent to them and still haven't heard from them yet . I suppose they are repairing it under warranty because I've never paid them yet (hoping my case is covered under warranty also ) when checking my status online I see that it's getting fixed and apparently it's paid for (never submitted payment ) nor have they told me what happens . Others have said that Dji is fixing it or have fixed it with no explanation as to why their phantom 3 fell from sky . My general consensus and the only common denominator I see with all these case is fw 1.5. We're u on fw 1.5? All these assumptions of prematurely charged batteries and auto discharges are all to conflicting . One thing that everybody that had their quad fall from the sky I see is each and everyone was on fw 1.5 hopefully my bird comes back soon and updated so I can just update my four batteries and be in the air again

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 353
It's great that they fully refunded you. I think they should do the same for me, although I only need to replace craft, camera and 1 battery lost in the drink. Again, I just don't see how I was at fault.

This is the reason why i returned my p3p. Kept going into atti mode. Whats really sad is that you dumped a battery into our water supply.

What is going ?? This seems to be happening at an alarming rate.

Same sort of thing happened to mine on 1 January. I opened a case with what logs I could get from the iPad and the video. It spun out of control from 240 feet and crashed in a deep water lake. Unrecoverable. I have seen 4 stories so far about this since then. DJI...SMH

I just got back from CES where I had two separate conversations with DJI about the 1.5 firmware, and the mid-flight battery shut down issues being reported.

Battery shut downs are only a problem with the 1.5 firmware.
1.4 did not have the problem, nor any firmware before 1.4. It's important to know 1.6 solved this critical problem. That's why 1.5 was replaced so quickly with 1.6. So if you're using 1.5, DON'T FLY again until you either go back to 1.4, or move up to 1.6. After these conversations I had with DJI, I deem 1.5 as the kiss of death, so just don't fly it!

These "falling from the sky" reports are coming from the 1.5 Phantom firmware, NOT the battery firmware. The 1.5 Phantom firmware misreads the voltage levels from the battery, simply as that. However the display does show the right voltage and % level. The 1.5 firmware misreads the battery below 3.0V , which triggers battery protection, which shuts down the motors mid-flight. Again, this was not a problem in the battery firmware, it was solely a Phantom firmware problem. If you recall there was no battery firmware update in 1.5, however the shutdown problems started with 1.5, which proves the Phantom 1.5 firmware is what introduced this flaw. In 1.5, although you may see 60% battery level in your display, and you really do have 60% battery (an accurate reading), the firmware does not see that same battery level, it mistakenly sees a lower voltage, sometimes causing sudden power shutdown (battery protection). The 1.5 firmware is critically flawed. It misinterprets battery level, lower than reality, hence battery protection kicks in and turns off the power when your battery is at 40 to 60%.

By the way, when I state 1.6 firmware, that's the rev# for the ALL IN ONE .bin file you would download fro DJI. The actual rev of the RC firmware that you'll see is in the "About" section of the RC is 1.5.7.00, after loading the 1.6 package. That's what everyone needs, or stay on 1.4 (AKA drifter). Just don't use 1.5.

Reactions: Raanan
I just got back from CES where I had two separate conversations with DJI about the 1.5 firmware, and the mid-flight battery shut down issues being reported.

1.4 did not have the problem, nor any firmware before 1.4. It's important to know 1.6 solved this critical problem. That's why 1.5 was replaced so quickly with 1.6. So if you're using 1.5, DON'T FLY again until you either go back to 1.4, or move up to 1.6. After these conversations I had with DJI, I deem 1.5 as the kiss of death, so just don't fly it!

These "falling from the sky" reports are coming from the 1.5 Phantom firmware, NOT the battery firmware. The 1.5 Phantom firmware misreads the voltage levels from the battery, simply as that. However the display does show the right voltage and % level. The 1.5 firmware misreads the battery below 3.0V , which triggers battery protection, which shuts down the motors mid-flight. Again, this was not a problem in the battery firmware, it was solely a Phantom firmware problem. If you recall there was no battery firmware update in 1.5, however the shutdown problems started with 1.5, which proves the Phantom 1.5 firmware is what introduced this flaw. In 1.5, although you may see 60% battery level in your display, and you really do have 60% battery (an accurate reading), the firmware does not see that same battery level, it mistakenly sees a lower voltage, sometimes causing sudden power shutdown (battery protection). The 1.5 firmware is critically flawed. It misinterprets battery level, lower than reality, hence battery protection kicks in and turns off the power when your battery is at 40 to 60%.

By the way, when I state 1.6 firmware, that's the rev# for the ALL IN ONE .bin file you would download fro DJI. The actual rev of the RC firmware that you'll see is in the "About" section of the RC is 1.5.7.00, after loading the 1.6 package. That's what everyone needs, or stay on 1.4 (AKA drifter). Just don't use 1.5.

Wow, this is the most useful information we have had to date and seems to be coming to you on good authority. I am running 1.5 and upgrading now.

As for polluting the pristine Mississippi, the belching ugly power plant nearby me didn't seem to be making refreshing drinking water for the community.

Wow, this is the most useful information we have had to date and seems to be coming to you on good authority. I am running 1.5 and upgrading now.

As for polluting the pristine Mississippi, the belching ugly power plant nearby me didn't seem to be making refreshing drinking water for the community.

And John, you should make a separate post about this. It's critical information "from the horses mouth".

I would bet that you won't find "any" rep who would admit to that conversation. Too much liability for them!

Man that's great Dji got back to u and even told u what and why the cause of your crash. Same happened to my p3p sent to them and still haven't heard from them yet . I suppose they are repairing it under warranty because I've never paid them yet (hoping my case is covered under warranty also ) when checking my status online I see that it's getting fixed and apparently it's paid for (never submitted payment ) nor have they told me what happens . Others have said that Dji is fixing it or have fixed it with no explanation as to why their phantom 3 fell from sky . My general consensus and the only common denominator I see with all these case is fw 1.5. We're u on fw 1.5? All these assumptions of prematurely charged batteries and auto discharges are all to conflicting . One thing that everybody that had their quad fall from the sky I see is each and everyone was on fw 1.5 hopefully my bird comes back soon and updated so I can just update my four batteries and be in the air again

Hi, I was using P3X_FW_V01.05.0030 firmware file at the time of the crash. I've received a response from DJI basically saying piss off to the idea of postage reimbursement. I wonder if a complaint might change their position, I'll update as I go.

Hi, I was using P3X_FW_V01.05.0030 firmware file at the time of the crash. I've received a response from DJI basically saying piss off to the idea of postage reimbursement. I wonder if a complaint might change their position, I'll update as I go.
Just called them today
Said my bird was repaired and out for testing and that they would email me once verified status of my quad

Emailed about ten minutes later and said
Hello,
We have verified that your unit was repaired and is currently in transit.
DJI Support
So hopefully by the end of week I'll be back in the sky

Reactions: Reed L
Being shipped back to me now. Tracking number included. "Fingers crossed "

Btw. No explanations as to what was fixed and as to why ? Or what happened ? Just
Thank you for your patience!
Your unit has been repaired and shipped via :FED-X. The tracking number is :xxxxxxxxxxx

The address your unit is being shipped to is listed below:

Xxx x x x x x x. X. X

We hope the unit will be delivered soon. Thank you for choosing DJI!
DJI Technical Support Center

This is a system automated message, please do not reply to this email, if any question, please email [email protected]

Oh well. Will make sure update to 1.6. And. Calibrate everything again. Hopefully be back in the sky by this Weekend !

Ps. Was so glad that return time isn't 8 wks like I was told from the beginning. If I get it by tomorrow it would be exactly 21 days since I shipped it out . Realistically I'm expecting by Friday. So 24-25 days return time

Actually the problem exists in 1.4 as well. I had my P3P fall out of the sky back in November. Within 10 seconds after take off, it completely powered off. This was my fault due to a partially charged battery. I was in a rush to capture a picture moment and put in a battery that was at 46%. My firmware was 1.4. So yes the battery shutdown problem does exist in 1.4 also. Thankfully DJI fixed it under warranty, no charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L

Thus is fascinating that DJI acknowledges that the computer shuts down the motors if it perceives the voltage is below 3 volts. What genius programmed this? Trying to save a $149 battery by trashing a $1200 UAV? I hope this programmer is no longer at DJI !!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic