P3P Camera Gimbal "Dance" Error

Reaction score
Good afternoon Phantom Pilots,

I have a P3P that I crashed recently. Camera snapped the ribbon, came off the mount, the roll arm separated from the board, etc. I have replaced that camera ribbon and put everything back together. Now the issue that I am running into is that upon powering up, the camera starts going crazy, moving sporadically, jerkily, won't come to a stop, etc. I've watched other videos of P3's having the issue and people rotating the metal pin and the accelerometer inside the board until the flat edge is completely horizontal with the top edge of the camera yet my problem still persists. I even have a backup roll board that I replaced the original one with and my problem persists still as well. Anyone have any suggestions, run into this problem or seen anyone else who has run into this and come up with a different solution than just putting the flat edge horizontal with the board? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, a uavnoob.

Edit: The camera won't stop erratically moving upon powering up. I tried selecting auto-calibrate, to no avail
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
All I can suggest is doing a gimbal calibration, if not already done.

The camera won't stop erratically moving upon powering up. I tried selecting auto-calibrate, to no avail.

I didn't specifically get an OEM cable, no. It was just one I found on ebay. Has that been found to still let the problem I described persist?

Last edited:
Oh yes,,, the cheaper aftermarket cables are known for their problematic performance. My opinion,, get the OEM cable to start with. Being that you have already centered the roll motor shaft, flat side up. Tried two roll motor boards. Doesn’t leave much left to be wrong that would cause the crazy dance.
Does the pitch motor do it’s job?

Reactions: gppms
Well then I will try to find an OEM and swap it out. I'd already swapped it but I'm guessing it was one of the cheaper aftermarket ones. I came to the same conclusion that it couldn't really be much of anything else, hence my head scratching and having to take to the forum boards. Upon powering up the camera does more every which way on the pitch and roll axis but it's very jerky, erratic, and it doesn't settle at all.

Edit:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
The camera was still attached to the pitch motor but separated from the roll motor in the crash. When I was replacing the cable I did take the camera head off of the pitch motor so as to access the boards better.

Last edited:
Are you sure that you have the flat side of the pitch motor in the proper position?
The flat side is to be to the back side of the camera head.

I'm pretty sure that I do. The flat edge is supposed to be facing directly upward, horizontal, and even with the top edge of the camera right?
20200623_173454.jpg

Ah, my apologies. I misread that. So if you're looking at the camera head on, the flat edge of the pitch shaft should be facing away from you? Or in the attached picture, flat edge facing to the right as pictured?

If that is right, then the problem still persists if that is the correct orientation.

20200623_231042.jpg
20200623_230644.jpg

The flat on the shaft needs to be facing up,, same as the back of the camera head. See attachment.

Attachments

• AF3A77C0-3F9B-4312-A878-A07168C29177.jpeg
    AF3A77C0-3F9B-4312-A878-A07168C29177.jpeg
    693.8 KB · Views: 258
Okay, I have adjusted that and the problem is still persisting albeit marginally slower this time. It'll rest a second, then keep bouncing around.

I have one on the way, will replace with an OEM one soon and keep you posted on the results. I really really REALLY appreciate all the time you have taken to troubleshoot with me, answer my questions, and to take pictures in this journey to a solution with me!

You are very welcome ?. That’s what this forum is about, helping each other. I have learned so much here, lots of brilliant mind here!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.