P3A Won't Update Firmware

Reaction score
A bit of background: I bought this Phantom 3 Advanced about 18 months ago. It has several dozen flights on it, was never crashed or even landed hard, then it was put in a large "trunk" with custom foam cutouts for all the parts for well over a year. Finally have some free time so it was resurrected. In a well intended effort to make it all that it could be I decided, perhaps foolishly, to update everything. I had no choice with DJI Go as I no longer have the old iPad Mini 2 that I originally used.

- Installed DJI Go Version 3.1.28 on an iPad Mini 4
- DJI Go said I needed to update the RC so I let it. Version 1.9.2
- DJI Go said the AC also needed updated and showed me a video.

Video is the same info that's everywhere else. Format the SD card, download AC firmware, unzip and copy to the SD card. insert card, power AC on and wait while the little LED blinks red/green until it's done. Oh how I wish it were so. The only thing I can't do "properly" is format the SD card in the AC as DJI Go never gets that far. It/they were formatted on a WIndows 10 PC with the standard software and I also tried SD Card Formatter from San Disk.

AC either doesn't know or doesn't care about the SD card. It looks for an RC and if it doesn't find one it sits there flashing yellow. No red/green blinky thing. It would flash yellow until the battery died I think but I know it was still going after an hour.

What I've tried:
Reformat SD and re-download the firmware - Didn't help
Different SD Card - Didn't help
Latest Firmware V01.11.0020 - Didn't work
Older firmware V01.03.0020 - Didn't work

The AC doesn't see the SD card for some reason. It should at least give a TXT message saying the update failed or the current firmware is the same or newer that what's on the SD card.

AC will start and bind with the RC. DJI Go app sees the RC and AC but says "No Image transmission signal" and "Gimbal DIsconnected". However with the RC I can rotate the gimbal on its horizontal axis. DJI Go says the installed AC firmware is 1.8.80+

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I suspect that the no image transmission and gimbal disconnect might be caused by the old FW in the AC but that's just a guess. Might be a loose connector that's causing all the problems but I tried to make sure all the gimbal cable terminators are seated firmly.

I'm open to suggestions here folks. Thanks in advance.....

The AC doesn't see the SD card for some reason. It should at least give a TXT message saying the update failed or the current firmware is the same or newer that what's on the SD card.
In most cases, that means the BIN file is partially downloaded, it's the wrong BIN file, or the BIN file is not in the root of the memory card.

FYI, you can find detailed Phantom 3 firmware installations instruction here.

Thanks for the response.

that means the BIN file is partially downloaded

It was the same size every time - 61,285 KB. That does seem small as 1.3.20 was over 90,000 KB. But it's what DJI has online. I guess it's possible that it's the wrong file or part of it is missing.

it's the wrong BIN file

File is P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin and is what I get when I click on P3 Advanced FW on DJI's support site. Had the same problem though with P3S_FW_V01.03.0020.bin from an archive site which is old but should have at least given me the "current FW is the same or newer" txt msg.

the BIN file is not in the root of the memory card

It's the only file on multiple cards. I tried 4GB, 16 GB and 64 GB cards, all low level formatted.

DJI Go says the installed AC firmware is 1.8.80+
If this firmware is on the AC, you need RC 1.6......I know because that's what I still fly with. You can only do that via the app by the way.

"P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin" is the current firmware file for the P3A.

Is the file in the root of the memory card named "P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin"?
Are you sure you're flying a P3A?

If this firmware is on the AC, you need RC 1.6......I know because that's what I still fly with. You can only do that via the app by the way.
OK. 1.6.0 installing (and beeping and beeping). I'll probably get evicted to the garage in a minute....

It sounds like you're facing some type of hardware issue then. Maybe reach out to DJI Support for assistance.

Installed V 1.6.0 on the RC. It refuses to speak with the AC at all now.

It sounds like you're facing some type of hardware issue then. Maybe reach out to DJI Support for assistance.

I'm not a young man. From what I've read about DJI tech support I'd be further ahead throwing it in the trash.

I hear you. Assuming you're actually doing everything per my instructions, I'm not sure there is anything else left to try. Fiddling with the remote controller firmware is not going to correct the aircraft firmware issue.

Installed V 1.6.0 on the RC. It refuses to speak with the AC at all now.

I'm not a young man. From what I've read about DJI tech support I'd be further ahead throwing it in the trash.
Dave,
go to the microSD card and there is a hidden folder called MISC in there and inside MISC is LOG folder and there is a txt file.
open it and copy/paste the content here so we can look at it.

Dave,
go to the microSD card and there is a hidden folder called MISC in there and inside MISC is LOG folder and there is a txt file.
open it and copy/paste the content here so we can look at it.
hunch, Window 10 File Explorer says there are no hidden files on the SD, just the bin file.

Right now I'm running a third-party program called Recuva that does a deep scan looking for files. It will take another hour or so.

Well, there was no hidden file.

I did a low level format (write binary zeros) on the SD card with the San Disk utility on Windows 10. Downloaded and unzipped the 1.11.20 update. Copied P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin file to the SD card. Inserted the card and powered on the AC. Lights blink, gimbal flops and twitches, then it starts with the rapid flashing yellow lights.... forever. Not a twinkle from the red/green LED. No TXT file on the SD card.

Guess it's time to disassemble the gimbal and cabling and try plugging it all back in again. My soul is not exactly filled with hope. My good tools are in my PA house and until mid-April I'll be in my FL house. Maybe just put it all back in the trunk it lives in until I get back to God's Country.

I do have another one. Same P3A and it has never even had the battery inserted. I could just see if I can turn it into a paperweight also.

I don't like having only one of something and the current price at Amazon is $699 for the P3A and $749 for the P3P. Any reason to spend the extra $50 other than the 4K that I have no use for, and faster charger? I'm inclined to just order another P3A.

Well, there was no hidden file.

I did a low level format (write binary zeros) on the SD card with the San Disk utility on Windows 10. Downloaded and unzipped the 1.11.20 update. Copied P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin file to the SD card. Inserted the card and powered on the AC. Lights blink, gimbal flops and twitches, then it starts with the rapid flashing yellow lights.... forever. Not a twinkle from the red/green LED. No TXT file on the SD card.

Guess it's time to disassemble the gimbal and cabling and try plugging it all back in again. My soul is not exactly filled with hope. My good tools are in my PA house and until mid-April I'll be in my FL house. Maybe just put it all back in the trunk it lives in until I get back to God's Country.

I do have another one. Same P3A and it has never even had the battery inserted. I could just see if I can turn it into a paperweight also.

I don't like having only one of something and the current price at Amazon is $699 for the P3A and $749 for the P3P. Any reason to spend the extra $50 other than the 4K that I have no use for, and faster charger? I'm inclined to just order another P3A.
Dave,
can you please make a short video of you starting up the bird and the lights, beeps,..?
maybe about 20 seconds into you turning the bird on.
i want to see the startup then i can let you know what your next step should be.
Hani

Here it is. Only about 20 seconds total from battery on to the never ending yellow flashing.

Apparently can't upload .mp4 files directly so here's a link to it on Dropbox. Just click.

Dropbox - P3A FW Update.mp4
thank you Dave,
there is a small little LED light in front of the gimbal.
when you turn the bird on what is the pattern of that light?
keep in mind that if you don't insert the microSD card in the gimbal, it will always flash red.
i am interested in seeing what the light on the gimbal does when the microSD is in the gimbal with the BIN file on the card.

hunch, the light in the gimbal does absolutely diddly squat. No color at any time under any condition.

I dug out the other P3A which is actually a few months older than the one I've been playing with but never used. Put a battery in it as well as the microSD card with FW 1.11.20. Turned it on and it's blinking merrily away red/green with occasional D-D-D-D noises. I'll check the TXT file when it finishes but I strongly suspect there's a hardware problem with the other one. Guess I have a bunch of spare parts.

Got interrupted with a phone call and the update had finished. The .txt file below.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 unsynchronized ======
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

Now I have one that works and a bunch of spare parts that have a problem somewhere. I could order the gimbal assembly at close to $300 but I don't know if that's where the problem is. Could be a cable or something inside. I'm tempted to order another new P3A as I'm rather heavily invested in these things plus all the accoutrements. This is the iPad Mini 4's only job in life, a dedicated ASUS laptop, the trunks they fit in, sun shields, half dozen batteries, etc, etc has turned into a bit of money which I've never added up because I really don't want to know. Any reason to go for the Professional as the price difference is only $50? If I don't spend it my kids and grandkids will...... believe me.

Thanks...

hunch, the light in the gimbal does absolutely diddly squat. No color at any time under any condition.

I dug out the other P3A which is actually a few months older than the one I've been playing with but never used. Put a battery in it as well as the microSD card with FW 1.11.20. Turned it on and it's blinking merrily away red/green with occasional D-D-D-D noises. I'll check the TXT file when it finishes but I strongly suspect there's a hardware problem with the other one. Guess I have a bunch of spare parts.

Got interrupted with a phone call and the update had finished. The .txt file below.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 unsynchronized ======
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.11.0020.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

Now I have one that works and a bunch of spare parts that have a problem somewhere. I could order the gimbal assembly at close to $300 but I don't know if that's where the problem is. Could be a cable or something inside. I'm tempted to order another new P3A as I'm rather heavily invested in these things plus all the accoutrements. This is the iPad Mini 4's only job in life, a dedicated ASUS laptop, the trunks they fit in, sun shields, half dozen batteries, etc, etc has turned into a bit of money which I've never added up because I really don't want to know. Any reason to go for the Professional as the price difference is only $50? If I don't spend it my kids and grandkids will...... believe me.

Thanks...
the non working gimbal probably has a bad cable or camera module.
cheap fix,
as far as upgrading to P3P gimbal for extra $50... that's your call. the only difference is 4k (P3P gimbal) vs. 2.7k (P3A gimbal) so if you don't have the hardware to edit, view the 4k resolution it really won't make any difference.
also, P3P gimbals heat up much faster and can overheat and burnout. common issue.
glad to hear you got one working.
that txt file looks good. :)

When I bought the first P3A I had the hardware to edit 4K but TV's to view it were kind of rare. Now I own several Samsung 4K's (with 3D and no HDR so they're obsolete now) so aside from potentially more problems with the P3P it's a wash. When I went back to Amazon to order the P3A had gone up in price to $729 and the P3P was still $749 so I spent the extra $20. The kids will never miss it and my eyes are still good enough that I can tell gold from silver.

Reactions: hunch
Order another P3A, put the one that don't work in the box, send it back to Amazon and get a refund [emoji12] *cough cough*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic