P3A will not "Follow Me"!

How can I tell how many sats the Shield is seeing Oso? I can't find anything about GPS/satellites in the Shield menus or installed Apps?? I presume the Sats shown in the .txt file is what the drone is seeing?
First let me apologize for my confusion about the GPS modes. Was thinking P4. Not P3
I installed a cheap app called GPSdiagnostics so that I could tell the satellites strength being received by my devices (iPad + mini4). Does not tell actual # of sats, just signal strength. 3 green over 75% good enough for follow me.
Good luck.

Note; my iPads not cell, Bluetooth to Garmin gps.

Reactions: JoBe and 3rdof5
GPSdiagnostics $2.99 works iPads, Shield? Something similar?
5FB0773F-CB37-4BE2-B01A-029490765437.png5ACDA410-5DEF-4D6F-833F-5CE74C57C70D.png3748C90E-38FB-4F0C-9277-83FDBAC9EF81.png

How can I tell how many sats the Shield is seeing Oso? I can't find anything about GPS/satellites in the Shield menus or installed Apps?? I presume the Sats shown in the .txt file is what the drone is seeing?
The .txt file shows the number of sats received by your Phantom.
There are several GPS apps available for Android devices.
Here's one I use (called GPS Status) and the screenshot is from when I was flying with the Nvidia Shield
It's showing which sats are being received by teh tablet and individual signal strengths.
i-mkxVdQd-L.png

Reactions: JoBe and Capt KO
Many thanks Meta4, I'll have a look at that!!

Just downloaded that, hope it'll run when DJI GO is running?? We'll see..........

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Right! Tried things out again today and can report that using my old iPhone SE the drone flew perfectly, POI, Follow Me etc.

The Nvidia Shield was the same as yesterday, POI no problem but refused to run the Follow Me.

Plenty of sats registering on the Shield and drone but no luck.
IMG_7606.jpg

One has to ask what is the difference between the two. Have I got something OFF on the Shield that should be on apart from Location, which is ON.
Flight logs, both very similar except for the Shield GPS Follow Me just didn't work???

• Sad
Reactions: Capt KO
Don't know if it makes any difference, using the Shield, are you setting yourself as the home point instead of take-off point when in follow me mode? Still guessing, probably shouldn't.

Don't know if it makes any difference, using the Shield, are you setting yourself as the home point instead of take-off point when in follow me mode? Still guessing, probably shouldn't.
Doe that option come up on the screen when you go into FM? The only option I could see was "Apply".

Choose it first in RTH settings. Gives both choices You (remote) or Home (take off location).. Then go to Follow Me.

Choose it first in RTH settings. Gives both choices You (remote) or Home (take off location).. Then go to Follow Me.
Ah, I hadn't seen that. It was quite sunny and the screen was hard to see other than the blue "Apply" at the bottom.
I also didn't realise that the Follow Me was tied into the RTH function.
I've now changed the setting so will see what happens.........watch this space?

Last edited:
Nah! Didn't think it could be so simple ? Exactly the same, seems to go into the program and then comes up with the error message.
Most odd. What could be so different between my iPhone and the Nvidia GPS???
Oh well, not the most important thing in life, but I just like things to work??

Just had a chat with DJI help and they just said they don't support the Nvidia Shield K1, end of!!
Can one run. one of the more recent DJI GO programs, would it help? I'm currently just running the basic GO App: 3.1.59. Drone FW: 1.11.20 RC: 1.9.2

I/we seem to have run out of ideas on this one??

I notice that my Nvidia Shield K1 is running Android version 7.0. There is and 8.0 available. I wonder if it would help if I updated to it?

One obvious difference between USING your iphone and the tablet is the USB-CABLE.
I would try a different cable with the Shield.
I haven't used FM much with my old P3P and Shield K1, but always 'worked' (it's NOT active Track).

Many thanks Meta4, I'll have a look at that!!
Just downloaded that, hope it'll run when DJI GO is running?? We'll see..........
I/we seem to have run out of ideas on this one??
From what you’ve said earlier, you are using the Follow Me in the GO app. Have you tried the Follow mode in Litchi?

Also, just as a shot in the dark have you tried the USB connection type (MTP vs PTP) in Android?

Important Disclaimer - I’m not an expert on those modes, so I don’t know if it matters which one is set with regards to your Shield consistently sharing GPS location data with the app. Also sometimes changing this mode results in no ability to connect to GO so you should obviously change it back if that happens. Consider this before making any changes.

If anyone knows for sure that the connection type does not matter in this case, please chime in for the benefit of @cheddarman now and also any future readers of this thread. TIA!

Reactions: tribar
Um, hadn't thought of that, being the most obvious difference between the two. I'll give out a go and get back.

Thanks

From what you’ve said earlier, you are using the Follow Me in the GO app. Have you tried the Follow mode in Litchi?
I don't have Litchi installed but will do so if all else fails.

Also, just as a shot in the dark have you tried the USB connection type (MTP vs PTP) in Android?
Drat, misunderstood this suggestion, thought you meant a different USB cable which I have just done with no change! I'm already set up for MTP so will try PTP next time (v very carefully).

Would using the Micro USB instead of the standard one make any difference or are they more or less in parallel?

Cheers

Just had a chat with DJI help and they just said they don't support the Nvidia Shield K1, end of!!
Can one run. one of the more recent DJI GO programs, would it help?
DJI love saying that but it's meaningless.
"Don't support" = not on our pathetic list.
They hardly ever test any new tablets and rarely update their list.
Many of the best flying tablets were never on their inadequate list.
The DJI Go version won't make much difference if the one you have already has the follow-me feature.
I notice that my Nvidia Shield K1 is running Android version 7.0. There is and 8.0 available. I wonder if it would help if I updated to it?
It's unlikely to make any difference that you'd notice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.